What's new

How bad is a Square HT? (1 Viewer)

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I have always heard that it is bad for a HT to be perfectly square. I have forgot some of the reasons given so if anyone could mention it I would appreciate it.
The reason that I am asking is that in the new house that I might be building the game room (read my future HT) is 17 X 17 X 9 feet. The only thing that will keep it from being square will be a cutout on one side for a wet bar. The cutout will be about 3'deep X 10'long. Will this help? What can I do other than altering the dimensions of the room? If I alter the room how much is necessary?
Below is a link to the floorplan. The gameroom (HT) is the room at the bottom left of the top picture. The three small pictures to the left are the options for the small space just above(on the pic). I will be getting the wet bar option (maybe the bathroom next to it but that does not affect my question as it can be closed off).
Link Removed
Thanks in advance.
------------------

David Judah

Screenwriter
There are alot of complex interactions in a room, so much so that those programs that predict response are only a starting point for placement. Those cancellation and coupling frequencies are only accurately applicable in a closed-in room. In addition, the higher frequencies will be affected by furnishings.
Personally, to be safe, I would stretch out the length of the room if possible, but if not then experimentation with different placements should yield satisfactory results.
DJ

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David. I will be closing the room in completely(other than to the wet bar of course). I should have mentioned this as the plans I have linked to do not show this.
------------------
[Edited last by Robert G on August 11, 2001 at 01:40 AM]

John H

Second Unit
Hi Robert,
I have been using a square room for several years. It is even worse than yours with the walls a multiple of the ceiling height.
16' x 16' x 8'
I have the side walls broken up with lots of furnishigs and my front wall is mostly wall to wall components that protrude a few feet into the room. RPTV, cabinets etc...
The rear wall is also broken up with a pair of night stands and a queen size bed stretches approximately half way into the room.
So in reality my room is not exactly square. I'm sure this does affect the sound though.
I only have a 2 person listening position and use tactile transducers which help.
Since you have the option of altering the dimensions of the room I would suggest doing so.
As for to what extent I will let the more informed addresss that.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I'm not sure how much I will be able to alter the room. I already know that I cannot eliminate one of the windows in the front due to HOA regs. SO, heavy curtains will be the order of the day. I may be able to squeeze the room down to 16' X 17' but I am not sure how much this will help. Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated.
Side note: man this part of the forum is slow paced compared to the rest. This is my first post over here. I guess everyone is tied up in After Hours with Word Association.
wink.gif

------------------

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what HOA regs you need to deal with.
I avoided windows by calling my theater a storage room on the blueprints.
Of course, it's a black storage room pre-wired with binding posts every three feet, plus two phone jacks, two Ethernet jacks, and two RG6 terminals.
laugh.gif

If you don't have the space to make your theater longer you can always make sure your walls aren't parallel. If you do it tastefully it might even look cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks