1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad can my stocks get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_J, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Boy it has been awful the past year or so and today just takes the cake. Unfortunately I missed most of the boom market of the past 6 or 7 years. Right now I am in some sort of shock as not one of my picks saving EBAY and Starbucks have done anything but sink to the bottom of a very very deep pit.
    [​IMG]
    Brian

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

AOL is supposed to be ruling by now, but that head dude decided to jump ship and some other things happened so I am not a very happy stockholder right now. I bought most of it at around 32.00 and expect it to get back up around 45 someday. I was hoping soon.
    ATI has done pretty good for me though, I wish I had gotten NVIDIA in october when I wanted to but I honestly thought the stocks I bought then were a better bet. Little did I know the stock would triple. I really think ATI is going to kick some major butt this year though.
    I recently got into Intel because it started looking good again, needless to say all my stocks were pretty good up until this latest crapola the last several days or so.
    stinks. I've made an OK profit since october, but the stuff that has been down since the summer just isn't bouncing back.
    the worst part about all of this is that the stock market is pretty paralelled to the economy and I'm feeling worse effects from that than I am in my investments.
    better days are ahead though...at least if I keep going to Best Buy and spending loads of money, I know that I have a good stock. [​IMG]
    (was I just talking to myself again?)

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Remember, the saying is "buy low-sell high," not vice-versa. You've taken the dive, now be patient. I've lost some since this "correction" has taken place, but I've adjusted my portfolio pretty much to having it just about where I'd like it right now, save the stock prices. It might, the Naz, sink to 1600 or perhaps even lower in a test of the bottom, but remember those that stayed the course during other dumps, usually came out quite satisfied over the long term. Just make sure you really study and understand the fundamentals of the stocks you own. This recession ain't gonna last forever. But, while it's going on, it sure does suck. Make that suck, suck, suck.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Worst case scenario for buying stocks: You buy at their peak price, and the company immediately goes bankrupt, is de-listed from the NYSE, and you lose 99% of your investment (*cough* Enron)
    Second worse case: You buy stocks, and the company goes bankrupt.
    Yes, you can lose your entire stock investment.
    If you are buying individual stocks, but have not yet established a diversified, relatively low-risk, investment strategy, then you've got the cart before the horse.
    But if these are your "playihg around" stocks, then have fun [​IMG]

5. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

For the uninformed with regards to investing, can someone explain what the P/E ratio is?

Matt

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

AFAIK (and I'm no expert) P/E is profits to earnings. Basically, how much revenue they make compared to how much actual profit.

8. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Isn't P/E ratio: Price/Earnings? A ratio of the current stock price vs. their earnings? I'm pretty sure anyway. Any daytraders or brokers want to clarify?

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    P/E = Price / Earnings
    It's the ratio of the price for a share to the earnings per share.
    Once upon a time, P/E ratios were considered useful for determining when stocks were under/over-priced. But then we got the New Economy and we realized the error of our ways... [​IMG]

10. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit