How awkward are SSX3 controls on Xbox?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Frank Grimes, Nov 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

My PS2 has been broken for quite a while now, but with the release of SSX3, Crimson Skies, and Tony Hawk, I'm interested in getting back into gaming after a long haitus. I don't much feel like buying a new PS2 since I'm a fairly poor college student, so will I be satisfied with the game on the Xbox? Same question for Tony Hawk, which I think will probably play a little better than SSX...

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Very very awkward.

L - Tweak
    R - Grab
    X - Grab / Turbo
    Y - Grab
    B - Grab
    A - Jump

So whereas on PS2 I hold down turbo almost permanently, it's not possible here. You have to use turbo, jump, perform your grabs (hard doing Experimentals and holding down 3 face buttons), let go of everything, land and then resume turbo.

L should be a grab and X should be Tweak / Turbo, but I'm not sure if it can be changed.

I had absolutely no problems controlling Tony Hawk, however I had no previous experience with it on PS2.

3. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Damnit. That's the game I was most looking forward to. Would you say that it wouldn't even be worth getting until I decide to get my PS2 fixed/buy a new one (probably early next year)? I'm going to get the games right now since the deal is ending today, but I won't open it until I'm certain...

4. Rob Speicher

I just checked, and the extent to which you can change controls is limited. There's two options: Default and Pro.

Default is what I already described, and Pro is:

L - Boost / Tweak
    R - Jump
    Face buttons - grab

It's a little better, but still as I played a ton of SSX and Tricky on PS2 it takes some time to get used to. It's a good game and if you really want to play it but don't want to buy a whole system for it, you can give it a shot; it shouldn't take too long to retrain yourself.

5. Rob Speicher

I take it back. I've played for about 5 hours now with the "Pro" button config and it's not at all awkward now. I still prefer the PS2 layout, but it's very playable. I say open it and enjoy it.

6. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Thanks. I wasn't going to open it until someone said it was decent enough. Now if I can find time between Tony Hawk and Soul Calibur...

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It's not awkward at all. I prefer it to the PS2 layout.

-Dave

8. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the PS2 controller is best for SSX3. I do like the loading times on the XBox and GC versions, though. Quick, quick, quick.

I've been playing the GC version over the past couple of days. If you only have a GC, then I highly recommend the game even though one of the buttons (Grab/Tweak) wasn't mapped to the GC controller. This means that you are limited to a smaller number of tricks, but it doesn't have a negative impact on the overall gaming experience.