What's new

How awkward are SSX3 controls on Xbox? (1 Viewer)

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
My PS2 has been broken for quite a while now, but with the release of SSX3, Crimson Skies, and Tony Hawk, I'm interested in getting back into gaming after a long haitus. I don't much feel like buying a new PS2 since I'm a fairly poor college student, so will I be satisfied with the game on the Xbox? Same question for Tony Hawk, which I think will probably play a little better than SSX...

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Very very awkward.

L - Tweak
R - Grab
X - Grab / Turbo
Y - Grab
B - Grab
A - Jump

So whereas on PS2 I hold down turbo almost permanently, it's not possible here. You have to use turbo, jump, perform your grabs (hard doing Experimentals and holding down 3 face buttons), let go of everything, land and then resume turbo.

L should be a grab and X should be Tweak / Turbo, but I'm not sure if it can be changed.

I had absolutely no problems controlling Tony Hawk, however I had no previous experience with it on PS2.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Damnit. That's the game I was most looking forward to. Would you say that it wouldn't even be worth getting until I decide to get my PS2 fixed/buy a new one (probably early next year)? I'm going to get the games right now since the deal is ending today, but I won't open it until I'm certain...

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I just checked, and the extent to which you can change controls is limited. There's two options: Default and Pro.

Default is what I already described, and Pro is:

L - Boost / Tweak
R - Jump
Face buttons - grab

It's a little better, but still as I played a ton of SSX and Tricky on PS2 it takes some time to get used to. It's a good game and if you really want to play it but don't want to buy a whole system for it, you can give it a shot; it shouldn't take too long to retrain yourself.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I take it back. I've played for about 5 hours now with the "Pro" button config and it's not at all awkward now. I still prefer the PS2 layout, but it's very playable. I say open it and enjoy it.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Thanks. I wasn't going to open it until someone said it was decent enough. Now if I can find time between Tony Hawk and Soul Calibur...

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the PS2 controller is best for SSX3. I do like the loading times on the XBox and GC versions, though. Quick, quick, quick.

I've been playing the GC version over the past couple of days. If you only have a GC, then I highly recommend the game even though one of the buttons (Grab/Tweak) wasn't mapped to the GC controller. This means that you are limited to a smaller number of tricks, but it doesn't have a negative impact on the overall gaming experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks