What's new

how Athena AS-F2, AS-B2 to other speakers (1 Viewer)

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
Yesterday i've been to my local paradigm reseller and i'm listen to some speakers of this brand because i were reading lots of good reviews aoubt paradigm. I noticed that the minimum i need with paradigm to get a decent sound is the Monitor 3 serie and higher. But they cost 600$ CAD (Canadians Dollars). I think this is really pricey if i compare them to Athena speakers. I've listen (the same day) to a setup with 2 front AS-F2, 2 surround AS-B2 with a center AS-C1 and the Sub AS-P400.

AS-F2=Floorstanding 250watts, 35Hz - 20kHz, -93dB, dual 8"
AS-B2=Bookshelves 150watts, 50Hz - 20kHz, -91dB, 6-1/2"
AS-C1=Center 150watts, 60Hz - 20kHz, -90dB, Dual 5-1/2"
AS-P400= Sub 100watts(400watts peak), 23Hz - 150Hz, 10" with MOSFET build in

this setup to my ears sound better than all paradigm i've heard and for only a really small portion of the price. The whole set cost me 1200$ CAD + 600$ CAD for the sub(i'm not sure if i need the sub tho since the floorstanding gives me enough low frequency to be on par with most sub).

I dont know all the technical stuff why those speakers are giving a better sound even if they are cheaper, i mean really cheaper. 5 monitor 3 from paradigm would cost me 1500$ CAD and it's not even floorstanding and the sound isn't near the quality i can get with the Athena.

With the Athena, i've listened U-571 in DTS the scene with the boat throwing bombs in the water, when the explosion starts to be near the submarine, i could assure you the quality and loudness was greater than in the theater i've first seen the movie!

The reason why i need your help is because, since no reviews or question as ever been asked on this forum on Athena Speakers i'm wondering if i missed something. To my ears i've never heard anything better than this. I want your opinion on this company and the Audition serie from Athena.

Here is the web site if you dont know them
http://www.athenaspeakers.com

Just to inform you, here are all the convertion for the price from Canadian to US

1800$ CAD = 1200$ USD
1500$ CAD = 1000$ USD
1200$ CAD = 800$ USD
600$ CAD = 400$ USD

Thank by advance for your comments

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Edward,
I was looking at this line myself before I went with Wharfedale and will say they were very tempting. You can find a few reviews on the net if you look hard enough and the ones I found were all favorable.
In the end I think you answered your own question when you said they sounded better and cost less. There you go!

Alan M

Second Unit
Awhile back,sound and vision reveiwed the af series by athena.They gave them a glowing reveiw,and said for the price,the sound was amazing.Sory,dont remember which issue.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Athena are great speakers though I think you'd be a little more happier with Energys in the same price range. Athena, Energy, and Mirage are all made by the same parent company in Canada and are all Great speakers I have Energys myself and I absolutely love them. I at one point considerded the Athena's as well ended up going with Energy's though.

Emile

Agent
There are a few reviews on these speakers at audioreview.com as well as at http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi..._asc1_asb1.htm

and

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_asb1.htm

There is also a review of the ASF2 in stereophile, I think it is for August 2002. From what I have heard these speakers are incredibly good in light of their rock bottom prices. I am looing at a special on Onecall.com that includes the audition series and a Harman Kardon AVR 525 for only $1695(USD) plus shipping.

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
Here is what i found on the Energy Connoisseur C-3 which seem to be the alternative to the AS-B2 (i can be wrong this is what i've found near the technical specifications of the AS-B2)

Energy Connoisseur C-3 Loudspeakers
Price: $500 USD per pair.

It makes a lots more than the AS-B2, 500$USD is 750$CAD it's 2.5 x the price of the AS-B2...

So i want to know exactly which speakers from energy has better performance for the price compare to athena speakers

I'm a bit lost cause didn't found anything that match the price and quality in energy.

Please give me the exact model, because i want to know what i gonna listen at when i'll go the Energy reseller tomorrow.

Thanks Jeremyfr, for your help to try new things.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
it appears the Energy XL-150's are similar at 199.00 a pair, the next up of course the Connoseurs, and then the Veritas. I was not trying to put down athena they're absolutely awesome for the money just thought I'd suggest checking out other products from Audio Products International. My next upgrade after a projector will to probably go up to the connoseurs. I've got the Take 5+1's right now and they sound great for a sub/sat system.

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
Thanks for the information Jeremy, i gonna look at them right now ;)

I think the better way to buy the best thing for my bucks is to listen as many speakers as i can...

Thanks

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
OK i've read on specification of the Energy XL series, the series look nice but technically (on paper) it seem Athena is superior on the range, power, woofer size, sensitivity.

Energy XL 150 : 100watts, 60Hz-20kHz, 90dB, 5-1/2" woofer
Athena AS-B2 : 150watts, 50Hz-20kHz, 91dB, 6-1/2" woofer

I've compared the bookshelves because because i'm not sure if i gonna go for adding two floor-standing in the set or if i gonna go for 4 bookshelves of the same type with center and sub fitting the set.

I didn't seen any sub in the series XL i guess there is universal sub for energy or something like that.

I know the frequency and stuff like that can't be enough to judge a speaker, so i'll go at the local dealer for energy to listen at speakers in the XL series.

I've also looked at the Connoisseur C-1 as an alternative since C-3 were too expensive 369$ USD (555$ CAD)a pair, i've seen C-1 for 249$ USD (375$ CAD) a pair. The specifications seem to be closer with those of the Athena AS-B2.

Energy C-1 : 100watts, 53Hz-23kHz(46Hz usable), 92dB, 5-1/2" woofer
Athena AS-B2 : 150watts, 50Hz-20kHz, 91dB, 6-1/2" woofer

Now lets see what both C-1 and XL150 gonna give in real life situation. I really hope the energy to be better in a significant way cause i really like the look maple wood with the possibility to hook them to the macro-mount(C-1 options). The 23kHz of the C-1 seem nice too. I'll try them all tomorrow if i can find the time...

***If anyone have other suggestions for speakers brand i'm still open to new idea***

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Yeah Energy does not make any subs in the XL line besides the EXl-S8 which comes in the take 5+1 system. other than that they just offer there other subs. I've never heard any complaints on a single one of there subs made. Both consumer and magazine reviews on there stuff have always been good. I know one guy thats using th EXL-s8 as a sub for his maggies. This is the sub I've got since I have the 5+1's and for a little 100watt rms/400 watt peak 8" sub it sounds great. Its fast and very musical and sounds great with movies I've been really happy with my entire system.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have the Energy C-1, and believe me, these are awesome mini-monitors. Amazing bass response from a 5 1/4" woofer, and the imaging is just amazing. Despite the aluminum tweeter, not bright at all, even when right out of the box. Workmanship and customer service from Energy is great. I wish I went with the maple, but instead I went with the basic black. The beefy 5 way binding posts and the magnetic grill sealed the deal for me. Got mine for US$275.00/pair. Just need a sub to complete my system. The Energy S8 sub is great, considering its cost and size. Check out similarly priced sub from Boston Acoustics, Polk Audio, and Definitive Tech though....all great performers.

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
I just arrived from the Energy dealer near my home and i've tryed the C-5 front speakers with C-1 as back and CC-1 as a center... and i got a really good impression when listening DVD movies, i've not tryed music DVD yet but i'll go back to the dealer as soon as he gonna set me a special setup. I think i'll go for this setup tho, 2 C-5, 2 C-1, 1 CC-1. It sound great rack mount built in, construction of the speakers seem very good compare to other, i really like the magnetic grill.

2 x C-5 speakers = 799$ CAD
2 x C-1 speakers = 349$ CAD
1 x CC-1 speakers = 199$ CAD

I think the price are good for me the rack mount for the 2 C-1 will cost 39$ CAD.

Obviously, he gives me a 7% rebate for the 36 months without paying i dont use. It makes me 1250$ +tx CAD.

I've listen to U-571 again with those speakers and it was just as ammazing as the Athena and even better since the definition of the sound were more accurate to my ears with the Energy. I've tryed them without the sub to see what they have in the belly and.... i'll buy them without the sub! They just dont need it. 30hz are given by the floorstanding C-5 which is enough to me (i dont like too much bass).

And yes, Jeremy you helped me a lot, it's you who told me to go for the energy. ;)

I have one last test to do before i buy them, the speakers were not all ready for a stereo listening in the showroom, so i've not listened at the C-1 alone in stereo to see how they perform, but til then it seem very good. The showroom setup will be changed probably tomorrow so i will listen the real thing soon.

Thanks everyone

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy to hear how much you liked them I to really enjoy there sound especially over the Klipsh Reference line, I went and listened to them side by side the Klipsch were very harsh in the highs where the Energy's had a more mellow high end and a very well defined midrange.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I replaced my Polk Audio RT25i (Stereophile's Budget Component of the Year from a couple years back) with the Energy C-1. I have a small stereo system in my den, and these serve as my L/R speakers. In my small den, I am not sure whether I even need a sub for the C-1. I considered the C-3 (MSRP US$500.00) initially, but for a little more money, I can get the C-1 with the XL-S8 (MSRP US$ 300.00 for the C-1 and US$300.00 for the XL-S8), which gives me better sound quality than the C-3 alone, along with the added flexibility in adjustments and placement.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I have the S8 with my take 5's and it is an amazingly great sounding sub. It has a very tight and fast response being its only an 8" woofer I've yet to ever hear a peep of distortin from this little guy. I'm running in an 18x18x8 room and it fills the room with more than enough bass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks