How are you identifying frequencies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karim Nogas, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I've read articles and posts here that mention something like "I'm getting little output at 45-60Hz but good performance once I hit the midrange."
    I have a SPL meter but I have no idea what frequencies I'm hearing.
    How does one go about that? I'd like to evaluate my speaker performance in this regard.
    Thanks.

2. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

I have used a tone-generator to aid with placement of my speakers. I am now able to recognise pretty accurately what bass-frequncy I'm hearing. You should try it, it's a revelation. Search for tone generators.
    TAH

3. Han

Han Second Unit

With me, AVIA's got a test or two for subs where the frequency number is displayed on the screen and counts down in conjunction with the audio signal. It goes kind of fast, but does help in pointing out dips and humps in a sub's frequency response when using an SPL meter with it.

4. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Depends on how much your time is worth and what your interest level is for understanding acoustic principles.
    If you already have a RS SPL meter, you might want to try a PC software demo version of ETF5 for creating frequency responses of your speakers in your listening room. The site also does a good job of explaining why.
    frequency sw
    BruceD