TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
My Costco roles last over a week. My wife works out of town and is rarely home. So it’s justme really.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And now it's personal. My friend who is doing her residency in Queens just got back to me (after a really long stint in seeing COVID patients). She says their hospital is decimated and they're running out of treatment options, and now she's concerned she may have contracted it. Getting tested tomorrow.
That sadly seems to match what I’ve been hearing from people I know working in the medical system. I’m across the street from a Queens hospital, I wonder if it’s the same one. Best wishes to your friend, she’s doing difficult work in impossible circumstances and to say I’m grateful doesn’t even begin to cover it.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Huh... My wife has apparently already been taken hydroxychloroquine -- the drug being talked about for potential treatment of Covid-19 -- for her rheumatoid arthritis for some time now. I hadn't realized until just now while discussing a new article about supposedly successful treatment by a doctor here in NYC area -- I'll post the article in the other thread...

She's the only one in the household going out all that often for both essential (enough) work reasons and errands...

_Man_

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Huh... My wife has apparently already been taken hydroxychloroquine -- the drug being talked about for potential treatment of Covid-19 -- for her rheumatoid arthritis for some time now. I hadn't realized until just now while discussing a new article about supposedly successful treatment by a doctor here in NYC area -- I'll post the article in the other thread...

She's the only one in the household going out all that often for both essential (enough) work reasons and errands...

_Man_
Yeah the problem has been the "run on the bank" this possible treatment has presented. There are stories of people taking that drug for it's intended purpose (like your wife's fellow arthritis sufferers, and lupus patients) whose prescriptions are about to run out but have been told by pharmacies that all the supplies are gone. Some were sent to NYC, but most were hoarded by doctors writing themselves and friends/families prescriptions when word first came out that it may have some effect in alleviating COVID-19 symptoms, word of which started circulating (and then was mentioned by the president in a briefing) a week or so ago.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
Just did some Food shopping at Shop-Rite I was in and out. People wearing masks and gloves. Cashiers with plexiglass in front of them now. Something new. I never saw anything like this and I hope I Never see it again. Hope it Ends soon.Can't get a Haircut any more. Schools,Stores, Malls, & Libraries all Closed. : ( Terrible....... Life goes on, It's all we Healthy people can do.

Reactions: Nigel P

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Just did some Food shopping at Shop-Rite I was in and out. People wearing masks and gloves. Cashiers with plexiglass in front of them now. Something new. I never saw anything like this and I hope I Never see it again. Hope it Ends soon.Can't get a Haircut any more. Schools,Stores, Malls, & Libraries all Closed. : ( Terrible....... Life goes on, It's all we Healthy people can do.
Have you not gone out to shop in a while, Rick, or is your state/city just now starting to issue stay at home orders? I only ask because that's basically been life in Los Angeles for the past 2 weeks. But yes, I agree, it's something that, if we're lucky, we won't have to see again (but likely will).

It's funny/ironic, but I just watched Contagion (2011). The end of it shows Day 1 of how that fictional virus got it's start. It's essentially identical to how many experts now believe COVID-19 began (which is similar to SARS/MERS, which is partially which the movie virus is based on). That's why I say "it's likely we will" because I don't see that behavior changing.

To not spoil it for those who haven't seen Contagion, I'll use spoiler tags for the suspected cause...

Clear cutting of forests -> making bats move out of their natural habitats, towards human-inhabited areas -> when they feed, their droppings may fall into something like a pig or chicken farm -> makes its way into our food supply -> into humans -> to other humans

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
We've had our first COVID-19 death in London this past weekend, who was a 70 year old male. The last I heard, there are currently 23 cases in the London area.

On the home front, our son did our weekly grocery run solo this morning, as the Mrs. was too sore to be able to get around very well. Thankfully, he was able to get everything on our grocery list (Including another package of TP, so we're good for awhile on that "front!"), plus a couple of items that weren't.

For the first time in 9 days, I exited our building, although it was just barely outside the entrance in order to bring in the groceries! :D

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, just going to answer the question that opens the thread because it took me a bit to figure out how best to cope with this unusual situation. Here are the things that I am doing...

1. Only follow the facts - Basically this one was important. So, as far as info about the virus I limit what I am now paying attention to. I am not reading or watching most news about it because it tends to be highlighting the graver aspects of what is happening. So, I am listening only to people like Dr. Fauci and other medical professionals. I stopped listening to the Corona Virus daily briefings because they were awash in misinformation. Building fear or false hopes in people is a bad and likely dangerous thing to do.

2. Keep in touch - To not feel isolated and to prevent others from feeling isolated I am having daily conversations with many people, friends, family, coworkers, clients. So far this has worked wonderfully. I was quick to start checking in with all the people I know that are over 60 and also all the people I know that live alone. So far people are in good spirits and the calls, texts, or emails have worked to keep a sense of community and kindness rolling.

3. Get outdoors - I think some people are staying in their houses but this is not a requirement. I have lots of beautiful places to walk or hike near me so we are getting outside and also going for drives. I have noticed near me lots of people share this idea. Lots of walkers and hikers about and these folks all seem to be smiling and happy when I encounter them. Don't be a shut-in if possible.

4. Eating well - While I always subscribe to this idea, I am trying to do so now even more. Food supplies are readily available and now is a great time to try out recipes or make new dishes you've not attempted before. My wife and I are not fast food eaters and we also don't eat preprepared foods like frozen meals or canned items. So, in this respect no huge change but now I ask my wife daily what she'd like to eat and then make whatever that is. Treat yourself or try new things. Food is a comfort item and enjoying something you eat can elevate your mood.

5. Say thank you - All the people that are out there working on the "front lines" deserve our thanks. Obviously healthcare workers, emergency responders, pharmacy staff, supermarket and food workers, the delivery drivers and truckers...these people are keeping us all going and are taking risks doing so...thank them when you see them and let them know we could not get through this without them.

6. Keep busy - Doing whatever you can to keep you going. Watch your movie collection, do that home project, make future plans to look forward to, and try and create a routine if your regular routine has been disrupted.

7. Be friendly and kind - Smiling, saying hello to people in the store you are in, cracking some jokes, or just throwing out some kind words and encouragement works. We are all in this together, like it or not.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
The problem with "only following the facts" is that so much of what is happening isn't conveyed due to HIIPA and journalistic rules. We don't violate peoples' privacy when seeking healthcare, and we generally don't allow many cameras into hospitals.

So the vast majority of us who either 1) don't work in healthcare in highly impacted (mostly high population density) areas, or 2) don't have friends in them, don't realize how bad this can (and in NYC and China, already has) get.

I'd heard some rumblings of how bad it is in NYC, but it wasn't until my resident friend talked to me that I realized how bad it can get. Now it's not like this in most cities, but it can get this bad if we don't obey safe distancing rules. My friend is one of the toughest people I know. She came from lower-class, and worked her way through to med school. She's seen things that I hope never to see, and handled it infinitely better than I could have. And this is the first time I've ever heard her emotional. And so many of her colleagues in NYC feel the same way, and yet continue to go to work knowing they're greatly increasing their likelihood to getting the disease. Doctors and medical professionals take an oath to care for sick people, but they never take an oath to endanger their own lives. And yet an overwhelming majority of them are doing just that. And for that, I'm eternally grateful.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, I am listening only to people like Dr. Fauci and other medical professionals. I stopped listening to the Corona Virus daily briefings because they were awash in misinformation. Building fear or false hopes in people is a bad and likely dangerous thing to do.
I've only watched one, which I think was three weeks ago this coming Wednesday. It was 90 minutes long, and I was just floored that there was maybe 10-15 minutes of actual information sprinkled around in it, with the rest being completely unproductive or even damaging. Postulating, editorializing, so on. I probably need to stop there.

So I'm with you on this one in particular. I still find a lot of contradictory information even among doctors.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Still resisting the urge to buy a hazmat suit, start screaming "UNCLEEEEEEAN!" and run around sterilizing stuff.

So I guess I'm okay for now!

Grocery stores locally are still pretty wiped. Speaking of wiping, about a month ago I didn't want to go out and buy toilet paper (I was obeying stay at home orders before it was fashionable), so I ordered a case from Amazon. That was amazing foresight, otherwise I'd be good and fu*ked now. Paper products are just not reappearing.

Virginia and Maryland governors finally issuing stay the hell at home orders.

I hit the post office today to send some books off for binding, and since I was there a week and a half ago, they've marked off lines on the floor in 6 foot increments, put up a lot of social distancing signs, and draped the front counter in a huge clear plastic shower curtain that someone sticks their arm out of to retrieve things. I hope they're just planning to build a glass divider eventually.

I really should've built a bomb shelter and started hoarding last year.

/sense of humor is still intact, at least.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My twins celebrate their six month birthday today. I caught them holding hands while napping and have been glancing at this photo whenever I needed a smile.

DB3CBC40-781D-4724-82BF-BBEC1BD25371.jpeg

We’re one, but we’re not the same
We get to carry each other, carry each other
One

Last edited:

RMajidi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ramin
I take comfort in inspirational writings, talks, music and films. Ranking high in the latter category is Ron Howard’s Apollo 13.

I was dimly aware of the Apollo 13 mission as a kid when it actually occurred, but its later dramatisation in the 1995 film affected me greatly. I also fondly remember a Wonder Years episode that centred around this mission.

The differences are vastly obvious and don’t bear enumeration, but I see some parallels between the Apollo 13 story and what is before us all now:

• Social isolation of the most extreme variety
  • Frightful odds
  • Potential catastrophe for those directly involved and their loved ones
  • Threatened individuals having to hold their nerve, maintain their unity and work together on their immediate problems at hand
  • Brilliant minds en masse working creatively around the clock across a range of complex problems to provide options and solutions
  • The paramount need for those directly affected to trust and follow the guidance of scientists and administrators
  • The imperative to ‘work the problem’ and not give up hope at the outset, simply because solutions are currently unavailable
  • Refusal to dwell on worst-case possibilities that lead to paralysis
  • People everywhere praying as one for the protection and safety of the endangered

One of the most moving aspects of the film depiction, perhaps even its central tenet, is the notion that ‘You never know what events will transpire to get you home.’ This is expressed by mission commander Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) in recalling his experiences during a naval flight:

I’ve tried unsuccessfully to find the original source for this. Regardless, it resonates strongly with me.

In this post-mission press conference, the attitude, humility and humanity of all involved shines through:

The fact that NASA managed to transform that crisis and potential disaster into its ‘finest hour’ is a great source of hope.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was so the right age for that movie when it came out. I was 12, totally into space stuff, but had never heard of that mission. I genuinely didn’t know how it would end. When they lost radio contact on re-entry I was genuinely scared for them, and genuinely thrilled when they emerged unscathed. It’s maybe the one time in my life where ignorance of history was a virtue.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Today was my first day feeling meaningfully better. Worked a full day at home from 9:00 AM to around 7:30 PM.
How terrible or not terrible was it, for you? Initially you said it was maybe the worst “flu” you’ve had. Then I think you indicated that maybe it wasn’t quite that rough — but not easy, still.

But it didn’t lead to pneumonia? I’m scattered and my sense of time is pretty broken just now, so I might be mixing your story with the others I’ve heard recently.

I know everyone is different. But I am interested in your experience.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kitchenknives