What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't think these stories about N95 masks are really anything new. I think it's been known since this started that they are really the "gold standard" of protective masks. I have one that I received when visiting a family member in the hospital last year. If you think it's hard to get some people to wear any regular mask or basic face covering, good luck trying to get them to wear an N95 mask. They're very hot and uncomfortable to wear for any extended period, as they're much thicker and tighter than regular surgical masks or other cloth masks (obviously, this is what makes them more effective).

I wear my masks all the time when out in public, but I wouldn't be able to wear the N95 mask for those longer periods. Wearing it for 15-20 minutes at a time while sitting in the hospital was nearly unbearable. I'd have to leave the room so I could take it off for a bit.
I wear an N95 for 8+ hours every day at work. You get used to it after a day or two.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been coping by exercising. My jogging has came to a stop, at least for now, because it was worsening an old, herniated disc the past few months. So, quit. Really bums me out. Jogging had become stress relief, dopamine hit, weight management, and an ability to control some portion of my life amidst a world out of control.

I've shifted to more weights. I bought a set of adjustable dumbbells and a cheap bench. I never meant to set up a home gym, but here I am.

It's not the same as jogging. But it's good.

I needed something to take the place of my Friday / Saturday jogging. So I went down the YouTube rabbit hole this weekend, learning about crunches, and bosu v-sits, and bird dogs, and etc. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Thanks!
3 layers is very smart and wise; but there are many people out there making homemade masks who are not as thorough, cognizant or attuned as your good wife.

In my neighborhood, I knew of a middle-aged individual who didn’t even bother to learn of the CDC guidelines and thumbed her nose for weeks at those who were taking precautions; then miraculously, and nearly overnight, she was making masks by the droves in order to be in the social spotlight. Single-layered stuff, some fitting loosely, some from cut up T-shirts and many who received; yet they, themselves, were not aware of the distinctions between a mere facial covering versus a legitimate mask. And, yes, many wore them around town.

Based on your past years of postings, I have no doubts that both you and your wife are way sharper and far more meticulous than the many I’ve encountered, in my neck of the woods, during this age Covid.
Thanks!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Obituary for my friend that died from COVID on January 18:

What's missing from the obituary is that he wasn't as careful as he should have been. I knew he and his wife weren't being careful and I tried hard to convince them they were playing with fire. When he told me they were flying back to Ohio to spend Christmas with family, I let him know just how big of a mistake I thought that was. It put a significant strain on our 43 year friendship. Now that he's gone, I can't stop feeling angry at him and his wife for their careless behavior.

I am not handling this loss well. I've broken down sobbing several times since Jan 18. I am grateful that we were able to exchange some text messages a few hours before he was intubated. I got the chance to tell him that I love him. But, damnit, this didn't have to happen!
:emoji_pensive:

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Obituary for my friend that died from COVID on January 18:

What's missing from the obituary is that he wasn't as careful as he should have been. I knew he and his wife weren't being careful and I tried hard to convince them they were playing with fire. When he told me they were flying back to Ohio to spend Christmas with family, I let him know just how big of a mistake I thought that was. It put a significant strain on our 43 year friendship. Now that he's gone, I can't stop feeling angry at him and his wife for their careless behavior.

I am not handling this loss well. I've broken down sobbing several times since Jan 18. I am grateful that we were able to exchange some text messages a few hours before he was intubated. I got the chance to tell him that I love him. But, damnit, this didn't have to happen!
:emoji_pensive:

Mark
Mark - I wrote about 5 replies but none seem to work. You did everything you could. Damn Covid doesn't care. Just remember the good stuff and in time the hurt will withdraw but the memories will remain.

EDIT - wanted to add that I met him at
Abbotts so I share a loss as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mark, I am so sorry for your loss, and I know you don’t need me to say this but I will anyway: it’s not your fault. You did all that you could. Please don’t beat yourself up over any arguments or strains caused by disagreements over safety advice you offered. I can guarantee that it would feel even worse if you had that “what if” of “if only I said something, maybe it would have been different” hanging over your head. You really did all that you could. If you’ll permit me one small suggestion based on what has worked for me in the past: allow yourself to feel your feelings without judging yourself for doing so. It’s okay to feel shitty about it. It’s okay to feel both sad and angry. It’s okay to both miss your friend and want to scream at him. Continue to take care of yourself as best you can. You’re in my thoughts and I’m glad that you’re able to talk about how you’re feeling.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Mark - I wrote about 5 replies but none seem to work. You did everything you could. Damn Covid doesn't care. Just remember the good stuff and in time the hurt will withdraw but the memories will remain.

EDIT - wanted to add that I met him at
Abbotts so I share a loss as well.

Thank you, everyone!

Mysto, The Broken Wand ceremony for Jeff will be during our Ring 76 meeting a week from tomorrow. I volunteered to put together a tribute/memorial video to honor Jeff to be played during our Zoom meeting. I plan to host it on my photo site after that, I'll send you the link once I've got it up there, if you are interested.

One of the things on my bucket list is to someday attend an Abbott's Magic Get-Together. Though, the lack of hotel space is off-putting. My wife and I are accustomed to luxury accommodations when we travel, not "roughing it" in someone's guest bedroom.

Mark

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It was a tough situation.

I have to say that I feel for people who had to make a decision to go see family for the holidays. It seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. You choose either to do it because it might be the last chance you get to see them, or choose not to because it might cause it to be the last chance to see them.

But, as always, remember your friend for the good times you shared. I'm sure that he knew that you loved him.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Thank you, everyone!

Mysto, The Broken Wand ceremony for Jeff will be during our Ring 76 meeting a week from tomorrow. I volunteered to put together a tribute/memorial video to honor Jeff to be played during our Zoom meeting. I plan to host it on my photo site after that, I'll send you the link once I've got it up there, if you are interested.

One of the things on my bucket list is to someday attend an Abbott's Magic Get-Together. Though, the lack of hotel space is off-putting. My wife and I are accustomed to luxury accommodations when we travel, not "roughing it" in someone's guest bedroom.

Mark
Mark - Yes please send the link. A Broken Wand is a hard thing to get through. I have attended/officiated too many at my age.

If it is safe - come to Abbotts this year. I'd love to meet you. Stay in Sturgis. Not luxury but decent hotels and only about a 15 minute drive. Just book early.

Once again, my condolences. Every death hurts, a death from Covid has added sting because it is so unnecessary. Stay safe my friend.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
What is a broken wand ceremony?
It's a commemoration for a magician that has passed on. Usually performed for those that were members of the International Brotherhood of Magicians. It is a way for the magician's magic friends to mark his or her passing.

Broken Wand Ceremony

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A friend from middle school, and high school died in early December from COVID at 46. I was shocked.

Though I lost contact with him over the years since graduation, I ran into him a couple years ago at my local car dealership (recall fix) where he worked. I talked with him briefly and it was good seeing him again, and wish I would have said more to him.

After I read his obituary, It made me appreciate the time we have on earth even more.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Mark - Yes please send the link. A Broken Wand is a hard thing to get through. I have attended/officiated too many at my age.

If it is safe - come to Abbotts this year. I'd love to meet you. Stay in Sturgis. Not luxury but decent hotels and only about a 15 minute drive. Just book early.

Once again, my condolences. Every death hurts, a death from Covid has added sting because it is so unnecessary. Stay safe my friend.

The Broken Wand Ceremony for Jeff Marcus was last night. This is the video I put together to honor and remember Jeff:

I only assembled/edited the video. The photos and videos of Jeff performing were supplied by others.

Jeff was a VERY talented magician. I miss getting phone calls from him with his latest joke or funny story. :(

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The Broken Wand Ceremony for Jeff Marcus was last night. This is the video I put together to honor and remember Jeff:

I only assembled/edited the video. The photos and videos of Jeff performing were supplied by others.

Jeff was a VERY talented magician. I miss getting phone calls from him with his latest joke or funny story. :(

Mark
Thanks for sharing Mark. This covid thing continues to bring grief and sadness. Stay safe and keep well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those interested in N95 masks the following CDC link has the listing of approved N95 masks:

Today, I wore a N95 mask for the first time and I must say the mask fit much better on my face than my previous cloth or even disposable masks. Hell, even the steaming of my glasses was less with the N95 mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks