What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here’s one new way I’ve been coping with the covid situation, and it involves a thank you to all of you. I’ve recently resumed my duties as a reviewer here on HTF. I took some time away towards the end of my wife’s pregnancy and then with the arrival of the twins and then the pandemic, the first year was just so busy. With the pandemic, sometimes it’s been hard to turn my brain off and just focus on a movie - I’d spend two hours with something on and walk away with no idea about what I had just seen. I thought maybe if I was watching with a goal in mind, having a reason I had to pay attention, that it would actually help with my focus, and that having little projects and goals to complete would be useful. I’m happy to say that worked out to be exactly right. I’ve already got one posted (The Mortal Storm from Warner Archive) and have a couple more I’m expecting to do. Knowing that people here will read them and that they might help someone make a purchase decision or spark a discussion is exciting to me. I was a little concerned that time might be an issue (it still is to a certain extent) but it’s been helpful. So.. thank you all for your continued readership!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for being a reviewer Josh. I’ve been buying too many discs during the pandemic and watching a lot of stuff to distract and have a little fun.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The Canadian medical thingy just approved the Covid vaccine, and my age group is predicted to be completely vaccinated by the beginning of March. The country is supposed to be done by September.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert, Dave, and the rest of the moderating team - I would like to offer a sincere thank you for the hard work you all put in to keep this thread running. I understand that it must be one of the more difficult ones to moderate. I am very grateful for your efforts, and thankful to have a place where we can share tips, advice and experiences in navigating these difficult times. Many of the stories and suggestions from my fellow members have been insightful and comforting to me and I hope I have been able to return the favor.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have a tenant, who rents a flat in the basement of my house, who contacted COVID-19 two weeks ago. He is a football/soccer coach and caught it from a child he coaches. We have very few COVID-19 infections in Norway, so this was a major news item nationally - virtually my whole town was quarantined. My rental flats have their own entrance, so we've been careful to avoid any physical contact with each other for many months. I am a surgeon, so I am well practiced in preventative measures. My tenant was bedridden for almost a week with a high fever and lost his sense of taste and smell. His own doctor checked in once a day by phone to see how he was coping and I did the same. I did grocery shopping for him and left the bags outside his bedroom window. Forunately, he has now recovered and is back on his feet. The only real impact on me was that I cancelled all guests for my home theatre viewings, as it didn't feel appropriate having people in the house with a patient with COVID-19, even though there is no way they could be exposed to him.

Now I have travelled back to the far north of Norway - Hammerfest, which has one of the world's most northerly hospitals - to cover my hospital department for the Christmas week. There was a huge amount of good releases on 4K and blu-ray discs during the last couple of months and I'm looking forward to once again having guests around to enjoy them next year. It's always much more fun to watch a film with friends! I love the cold, dark winter months in Norway - absolutely perfect for home theatre viewings. Always more difficult to persuade people to stay indoors during midsummer!

IMG_2994.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For the past few years, my wife has been volunteering at two local senior citizen independent living facilities, running activities and visiting with residents. Since this pandemic, those facilities have been locked down pretty tight, so she has been unable to volunteer in person (she's still been contacting some of the residents by phone for "virtual visits"). For the holidays, she reached out to the local community via the Nextdoor app and mentioned she was putting together some "goodie bags" for the residents. The response from folks has been amazing. We've had people dropping off items on our porch almost daily for a few weeks now. She's put together and delivered over 250 bags personalized for each resident so far (she cannot deliver them personally, but leaves them at a drop off area, and the staff then distributes them).

It's been heartwarming to see that type of response from our neighbors. It's been a lot of work for my wife, but she's really enjoyed doing this.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
The most recent person I know to come down with COVID is someone I work with. We're all working remote, so there's no danger of passing it around the workplace and they seem to have recovered without any serious problems. I thought they were taking some unnecessary chances around Thanksgiving, but so did a lot of other folks.

For awhile, my wife and I were trying to figure out a safe way to have Christmas with our adult children, but I don't think we can make it happen. It will be the first Christmas ever that we've celebrated with just the two of us. It's not the Christmas we want, but we're confident that we are doing the right thing and there will be chances to celebrate in the future.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My family is gathering for Christmas, this week. But I work daily in an office, so can't commit to a 10+ day self-quarantine before joining them. So my wife and I are staying home for the holidays. I'm actually looking forward to it. While I'll miss seeing family and having the big Christmas morning, this year I'm glad for no 10 hr drive or half-day airport and rental car travels, and just having my time in my home to re-energize.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My oldest sister is in the hospital with Covid. She got it while being in a nursing home in Connecticut. I have a nephew in a hospital down in Florida with a heart condition in which he so far as tested negative for Covid.
Oh wow! I hope your sister recovers quickly!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh wow! I hope your sister recovers quickly!
Actually, we're very worried as she has some underlying conditions. She was on oxygen before testing for Covid earlier this week. We're worried about my nephew because being in a hospital now isn't what you want right now.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For the past few years, my wife has been volunteering at two local senior citizen independent living facilities, running activities and visiting with residents. Since this pandemic, those facilities have been locked down pretty tight, so she has been unable to volunteer in person (she's still been contacting some of the residents by phone for "virtual visits"). For the holidays, she reached out to the local community via the Nextdoor app and mentioned she was putting together some "goodie bags" for the residents. The response from folks has been amazing. We've had people dropping off items on our porch almost daily for a few weeks now. She's put together and delivered over 250 bags personalized for each resident so far (she cannot deliver them personally, but leaves them at a drop off area, and the staff then distributes them).

It's been heartwarming to see that type of response from our neighbors. It's been a lot of work for my wife, but she's really enjoyed doing this.

That's great, Scott.

I personally also find reaching out and helping others in need however we can under the circumstance to be very edifying/rewarding -- a blessing indeed(!) -- for myself.

Haven't really been able to do any such in-person myself due in part to some lingering ailments w/ my hands, but have helped some bits (in my more or less usual ways) w/ some fundraisers toward charitable causes at various points during this pandemic -- not exactly something I (and probably most others who do likewise) would normally talk much about in most normal settings or in such a forum as HTF... even though I suppose it could be tempting to promote whatever causes, especially since I'm a bit of an "evangelist" at heart...

Anyhoo...

Shalom...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, we're very worried as she has some underlying conditions. She was on oxygen before testing for Covid earlier this week. We're worried about my nephew because being in a hospital now isn't what you want right now.

Oh wow! I musta missed seeing this earlier in the thread.

Hope and pray she recovers quickly and well going forward...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'm sending positive thoughts her way. Hope she and your nephew both get through this okay.

Users who are viewing this thread