What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What are people using all these Lysol wipes for? I thought the virus was only spread through aerosol contact. We bought a group of these wipes from Costco, and have used only a couple sheets.
Yeah, I don't use many wipes. I haven't had much of an issue finding them (not always Lysol) and have quite a supply, so I've stopped buying them. Saw some Lysol wipes tonight in a local supermarket, but passed on them.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I use them to clean certain bathroom surfaces. But apparently since the pandemic a lot of people use them for everything. In the intervening months I’ve had to use alternate methods to cleaning the bathroom surfaces but now I can go back to my preferred method.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I wanted to comment on a few things I read here.

One of the things this pandemic has done to me is make me agoraphobic. I was a little bit of a hermit before, but never like it is now. I’ve found as many ways to have things delivered as I can. I even just ordered stamps to avoid the post office. I’m really glad my company supports us all to work at home.

I totally understand the science, Covid-19 is transmitted by aerosol. And transmission from surface contact is rare unless there is a high concentration of viral particles on the surface one can touch. Wearing a mask is the best defense and washing your hands. And contact with others should be no closer then 6 feet and best done outdoors with lots of fresh air.

About using the Lysol wipes, since it was too hard to get, I make a solution of water and Clorox bleach and spray and wipe down surfaces. While there are no strangers in the house, I still feel paranoid and will wipe the door knobs and touched surfaces after I bring in groceries and Amazon packages that I’ve touched. I’ve never done this before the pandemic. So it’s made me a little crazy.

There is no rational reason to be this careful. It’s just good for my emotional needs. :). In my mind, I know how it’s transmitted, and it still scares me to go out to places where people gather. I did go to Costco a few weeks ago to stock up and I was focused to go in and get out as fast as I could. It was the first time in nine months. I’d like to go to Home Depot and get some items like light bulbs and other supplies but I might order those online. For the most part, everyone is wearing masks, it’s just that occasional time I see people walking around with no mask or a mask that’s not covering their noses or mouth. That doesn’t make me want to go out as they either don’t believe this virus is bad, or they just don’t know how to get a good fitting mask.

I’m still learning how to cook more so this has been a positive. And without my daily commute to work, I’ve been able to devote time each day to work out. I’m heading for that 6 pack ab! Not there yet.

Mark Booth

Premium
My wife hasn't had a pituitary gland since 2003. The pituitary is the master gland, without one the rest of the glands in the body don't know what to do. Thus, my wife has to take a variety of medications to substitute for what the other glands would normally produce. One of those medications is prednisone. If my wife stopped taking her daily dose of prednisone she would die. Unfortunately, a significant side effect of prednisone is its impact on the immune system. My wife's immune system is compromised. Which means she's at very high risk for serious complications should she catch COVID-19.

My wife has been out of the house only a handful of times since March. I do ALL of the essential shopping, by myself. I wear TWO masks, carry and use hand sanitizer, and I'm damn careful about bringing ANYTHING from outside our home into our home. I sanitize/disinfect everything. So you bet your sweet bippy that I use Lysol wipes on items I purchase at the grocery store, including canned goods, packaged items, milk and frozen food containers, etc. (fruits and vegetables get washed in the sink before being put away and then the sink gets cleaned and sanitized).

Is it overkill? Probably. But NOT cleaning and sanitizing stuff carries a risk. The risk may be small, but it's not zero. I will continue to do everything I can to keep the risk to my wife as close to zero as I can make it.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
My wife hasn't had a pituitary gland since 2003.

My brain tumor is a Pituitary Prolactinoma, Mark. It secretes prolactin and kills testosterone, which is like the worst possible combination for a man. I definitely sympathize here for you both. Mine is manageable with hormones. having to replace ALL pituitary functionality would be a major pain. Good luck!

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I’d like to go to Home Depot and get some items like light bulbs and other supplies but I might order those online.
You can order for curbside pickup. You order online, pull into one of the marked spots, call them, they come out and you can have them put it in the back seat/trunk/etc. if you don't want them to hand it to you.

Reactions: PMF

Mark Booth

Premium
My brain tumor is a Pituitary Prolactinoma, Mark. It secretes prolactin and kills testosterone, which is like the worst possible combination for a man. I definitely sympathize here for you both. Mine is manageable with hormones. having to replace ALL pituitary functionality would be a major pain. Good luck!

Thank you, Sam. Sorry for your own health issues.

Mark

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Apparently bottle redemption depots around here have never heard of curbside service. My bottles and cans will just have to keep decorating my backyard in big plastic bags, I guess.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
What are people using all these Lysol wipes for? I thought the virus was only spread through aerosol contact. We bought a group of these wipes from Costco, and have used only a couple sheets.

Well, the wipes have been around for years pre-Covid, so there is obviously a need for them for all sorts of other reasons. My wife and I have always had them on hand. We use them for cleaning kitchen or bathroom surfaces mostly. I use one to clean the toilet wand whenever I clean the toilet. That sort of thing.

And yes, since the start of the pandemic, we've used them to clean food containers after we've gone shopping. I'd probably not do it (if I buy any discs at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or Bull Moose, I don't wipe them down when I bring them in the house), but my wife gets antsy about the food packaging.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have always used them in hotel rooms, (if you can remember what these are). I would wipe down door knobs, the toilet treadle, and the TV flipper etc., but except in the very early days of Covid we don’t use them much at home. One of those canisters can last us for years. I do have a package of special ones made to disinfect my cpap. I use one sheet of these per day.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My wife and I have never stopped working, a blessing for sure. We also have a local dive-bar that has gone compete speakeasy so we have an out whenever we want all while everything else is shut down. It has also made the drive to our mountain house much nicer, a lot less traffic on the roads...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I got to thinking about the new vaccines. Yeah, I should be careful about that thinking part. ;) According to the medical experts the vaccine contains a fragment of the virus. The vaccine is not a live or dead virus. It is absolutely impossible to become infected by the vaccine. The fragment will cause your immune system to kick in and develop antibodies to Covid.

So I was wondering, could the vaccine be used as a therapeutic treatment for someone who already has Covid? The vaccine should cause the immune system to fight Covid. Perhaps it would increase antibodies over what has already been an increase in antibodies caused by being infected.

I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere, so I guess it’s not a valid idea. After all, it’s only based on my Dr. Kildare Medical School degree.

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
So I was wondering, could the vaccine be used as a therapeutic treatment for someone who already has Covid? The vaccine should cause the immune system to fight Covid. Perhaps it would increase antibodies over what has already been an increase in antibodies caused by being infected.

I’ve not seen this mentioned anywhere, so I guess it’s not a valid idea. After all, it’s only based on my Dr. Kildare Medical School degree.

I believe it was on NBC News last night with Lester Holt that I heard it mentioned that a decision had not yet been made as to whether or not those already infected should get the vaccine. I had not even thought about that scenario.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Generally speaking, vaccines are preventatives, not therapeutics. If you have the disease, your immune system is already fighting it as well as it can. Adding more "enemy troops" to the fight isn't going to make your system work any better.

But to paraphrase some commercials, I'm a real person, not a doctor.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Generally speaking, vaccines are preventatives, not therapeutics. If you have the disease, your immune system is already fighting it as well as it can. Adding more "enemy troops" to the fight isn't going to make your system work any better.

But to paraphrase some commercials, I'm a real person, not a doctor.
This is the reason flu vaccines are not advised for people who are already sick. Your body is having a hard enough time fighting off an illness and adding a vaccine will only tax your immune system more and complicate the situation. I imagine the Covid vaccine will not be recommended for those who are currently infected.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This is the reason flu vaccines are not advised for people who are already sick. Your body is having a hard enough time fighting off an illness and adding a vaccine will only tax your immune system more and complicate the situation. I imagine the Covid vaccine will not be recommended for those who are currently infected.

Maybe for those who are asymptomatic? Of course, normally, they simply aren't considered sick, but essentially just carriers of the virus.

_Man_

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget for the proposed vaccines, you need two doses, about 4 weeks apart. The disease has already ravaged those in the "worse case" group by that time. As others have said, it's preventative, not palliative. There are other drugs/treatments they're working on for palliative care.

PS: I am not a doctor, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarrySonyMHC