What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For those who don't follow and might want to know, concert violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter recently said she contracted the virus. Was originally planning to see/hear her perform at Carnegie Hall in mid-May, but of course, that's not likely to happen anymore even though they haven't officially canceled that and subsequent dates just yet...

Sharing here mainly because of the video they just made...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I Became ill this week. Was off work Thursday and then stayed out yesterday and went to the Doctor. I was having issues with dizziness. Gave me antibiotics and told me to rest. I Called out of work for today and am scheduled off on Sunday. Will hope I am well enough to go back Monday
Dizziness is a pretty common thing, and it has a lot of possible sources. Don't succumb to hysteria, because the odds that it's Corona, without a single common symptom like labored breathing, fever, aches, fatigue, severe headache, etc. is virtually nonexistent. It's normal to feel nauseous, since dizziness will always cause that. Positional Vertigo in particular is quite common.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Best to all on here and please be optimistic. My heart goes out to those with older relatives that can’t be hugged or visited. I can’t think of anything more stressful.
As for myself I can’t complain. Here in the East Village NY all the millennials have run home to mummy and daddy and left us in a peaceful considerate place. Working on a 27” iMac is better than at the office so not missing much uptown. At least now I’ll never have to go in on a weekend ever again once this passes as I am seamlessly set up to work from home- my company luckily prepared for at home last summer. I have 3 supermarkets within a 2 block radius and restaurant deliveries ar readily obtained. I do miss interacting with people though and liberal looking for this to pass sooner rather than later.
Watching musicals, adventures and comedies to get my mind off the inherent stress and sadness.
Be strong everyone!!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've been taking the road less traveled on some of my walks and bike rides....

PS I look so happy in part because last year I tried to find this bridge on this abandoned road (which showed up in Google maps for some reason), but I was thwarted that time because everything was so overgrown. But this time I finally found it. And so this was my Eureka moment lol. The bridge was built c. 1945, I think, and might be a US army design. It seems in good shape considering I don't think it's had maintenance since that time. The road itself has probably been abandoned for about half a century.

lost bridge.jpg

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of bike rides, this probably isn't just a Los Angeles problem. But I've been biking more around the city and enjoying how much fewer cars are on the road.

The problem: the few that are on there, they're driving like a-holes. Speeding (like 15+ mph above the limit) and not obeying the rules of the road. Sometimes I've felt safer riding in rush hour. :huh:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
My area is really shutting all non-essential things down, even more so than last week:

1) There is a city recycling center/dump where you can take your recycling & bulky trash items that the regular garbage pick-up won't take (broken furniture/appliances, bags of yard waste, etc.) I went there this weekend, and the whole facility is closed until further notice (there was a sign).

2) There is a open walking/biking path across the street from my place where I walk sometimes; joggers, other walkers, people riding bicycles, and people walking their dogs use it. However, just today I noticed the gate to enter the path is locked, and there was also a sign that the entire area is closed until further notice.

As for myself I can’t complain. Here in the East Village NY all the millennials have run home to mummy and daddy and left us in a peaceful considerate place.

With all of the crap going down due to this horrible virus, it's nice to be able to laugh once in a while; the above comment cracked me up - ha ha. Thanks!

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Speaking of bike rides, this probably isn't just a Los Angeles problem. But I've been biking more around the city and enjoying how much fewer cars are on the road.

The problem: the few that are on there, they're driving like a-holes. Speeding (like 15+ mph above the limit) and not obeying the rules of the road. Sometimes I've felt safer riding in rush hour. :huh:
This is every day in Little Rock, where stop lights are merely a suggestion.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve moved several posts to the other thread. That one is about facts, stats, news, etc.

This is about coping. I’ll copy from the first post:
Hey guys, As an adjunct to the Coronavirus thread, this is a separate thread to talk about how are we coping with living in this new reality. What’s your situation like? Are you shut-in and working at home? Do you have to go to work as an essential worker? How are you dealing with avoiding potentially contracting the virus? How are you dealing with cooking, getting and food? It must be challenging too helping the kids and elder family members, etc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Dave! Appreciate your care in trying to maintain this as a “how are we all getting by” space :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I saw that last evening here in Michigan, too, when we picked up take out food to take to my mother. Two separate incidents of people driving like idiots (one guy ran both a stop sign and then a red light), probably figuring they can do whatever they want because there are lot fewer cars on the road. I have seen quite a local police presence when we have been out, though, so hopefully those moron drivers will eventually get what's coming to them.

With this downtime, we have been cleaning out our basement. We got into this mode while cleaning out my parents house in northern Michigan, so we have extended it to our place in southeastern Michigan. The garbage collection folks are going to love us on Tuesday morning. ;) On the positive side, though, I can actually get to the 2nd work bench in the basement work shop now!

Hey, does anyone out there need a bunch of old high quality analog audio cables? I have several boxes of audio interconnect, speaker, coaxial, and computer cables to go through yet.

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
In Australia we are just beginning to feel the potential harshest impacts of the pandemic. In my case I can work from home but as a self employed consultant in the disability sector my work will slowly decrease as many of my referrals are from personal contacts. The situation is much worse for many others here as it is in the US and the rest of the world. The greatest challenge i# getting my elderly mother to stay at home; a bit of a paradox the child telling their parent that they are grounded!!! Thankfully, we can assist her and her friends with food provisions. For entertainment we watch movies and streaming. On Thursday night we started rewatching the Alfred Hitchcock filmography- many worse ways to be self isolated.
Stay safe my many virtual friends and remember the album title of the great George Harrison “ All Things Must Pass”.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm fortunate in that my job is relatively secure and I have a lot of PTO accumulated. But what kills me is that I've become close with quite a few local proprietors of restaurants and coffeehouses. They're absolutely being decimated by the stay-at-home orders. I'm encouraging as many of my friends to order takeout or delivery but of course not everyone can do that during this new economic reality. Most of the big retailers will bounce back, but these small restaurants and businesses that are getting by on the slimmest of margins (and make no mistake, unless you're a big name like Puck or Flay the restaurant business is very slim margins) are in very real danger of going out of business.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This whole TP thing is completely bizarre. Never in my life would I have imagined that would be the reaction so many people would have. How many post apocalyptic movies have ever thought of TP fanaticism?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
This whole TP thing is completely bizarre. Never in my life would I have imagined that would be the reaction so many people would have. How many post apocalyptic movies have ever thought of TP fanaticism?
Sources have been quoted that the average American uses 100 rolls of TP per person per year.

That's two a week per person. That's a crazy huge amount.

The last time I changed a roll I noted that in my daytimer. I want to see how long it lasts in my house - I live by myself so I'm the only user.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And now it's personal. My friend who is doing her residency in Queens just got back to me (after a really long stint in seeing COVID patients). She says their hospital is decimated and they're running out of treatment options, and now she's concerned she may have contracted it. Getting tested tomorrow.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sources have been quoted that the average American uses 100 rolls of TP per person per year.

That's two a week per person. That's a crazy huge amount.

The last time I changed a roll I noted that in my daytimer. I want to see how long it lasts in my house - I live by myself so I'm the only user.
WTF is wrong with people? I think I go through a roll in 2 weeks. And yes I get plenty of dietary fiber so it's not like I'm irregular (yeah, that was probably TMI).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
For those who don't follow and might want to know, concert violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter recently said she contracted the virus. Was originally planning to see/hear her perform at Carnegie Hall in mid-May, but of course, that's not likely to happen anymore even though they haven't officially canceled that and subsequent dates just yet...
In related news, Krzysztof Penderecki has died. He dedicated his second violin concerto to Mutter - I've got the DGG recording of her playing it with Penderecki conducting the LSO.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...influential-polish-composer-dead-obit-974815/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks