Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Heard from my friend today. His mom is in really bad shape. The pneumonia seems to be under control but fighting COVID has completely drained her strength and, apparently, her will to live. She's not eating or drinking. She never got put on a respirator but is still in intensive care.

Mark
It really stinks to hear stuff like that, Mark. I’ve known four people so far who have contracted COVID. Three of them survived. The fourth died four or five days after showing symptoms. Best thing to do is be there for your friend. Someone to talk to, a virtual shoulder to cry on, etc...

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
I took a walk this morning for the first time since March. It’s the first chance I’ve had to walk around our new neighborhood and we’ve lived here for 5 months now. For a crisp 48° misty morning, I gotta say, it felt really good. Now I’m undoing all my exercise benefits with a cinnamon twist and a kolache.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is increasingly how I'm coping. Saturdays I go out for about two hours: jog to the park, do several circuits on the fitness stations, and jog home. I finally discovered how to sync Audible books to my apple watch, so now I can get a couple hours of "reading" in. In some ways, this pandemic has been the best thing for my health in years.

This is also why exacerbating my slightly herniated disc in my lower back a month ago has been stressful. It threatens my ability to go jogging and exercise. And as soon I finish this post, I have to get back to the task of finding my doctor's information to followup next week on next step of getting my back back to "normal". :)
IMG_4537.png

• Sad
Reactions: Tony Bensley

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Been recently meeting up w/ substantial portion of our moderate size, local church congregation in nearby Prospect Park for post-corporate-worship-on-zoom communion and some socializing every Sunday late-morning. Enjoy that very much.

Might also get to the Saturday farmers market at the north end of the Park more often over the next month or more depending on the weather. Gotta love picking up some tasty baked goods amongst other things on top of warm apple cider donuts (and hot cider when it gets colder)...

And of course, there are the lovely early morning and/or late-afternoon walks and photo opps as fall foliage develops here... I will probably get to that more this Fall, especially since I probably won't be visiting Mohonk again (this weekend) afterall.

Also started more seriously shopping to overhaul my HT setup ahead of schedule although the plan is still to wait til early Spring (at earliest) to actually get the reno work done on the dedicated HT room. But since this might be a much better time to start bargain hunting for (at least some) gear than to wait til early Spring... I already acquired an Epson 5050UB projector (at a great price) so far along w/ a moderately priced Cable Matters 4K-capable HDMI matrixed switch (though this latter might need to be returned due to some mysterious, apparent banding in certain upper tonal region of the HDR spectrum, eg. blue skys, indoors white-ish walls like in an art museum).

Currently checking out some used, (audiophile) speakers, including these (legendary?) hard-to-find (and drive) Thiel CS 5i's I found for sale locally at a good price -- been posting a bit about that over in this largely amplifier-oriented thread. Yeah, I've had to make an in-home visit to a strangers' apt for this -- not something I would otherwise do even though I (and my household) do not belong to high risk demographic...

_Man_

Last edited:
Reactions: JackieT

Mark Booth

Premium
One of the ways I cope with staying home is tackling various projects around the house. Some are small projects (such as replacing both faucets and pop-up drains in the master bathroom) while others are much larger (like installing a fountain, landscape lighting, rock, mulch and plants in the backyard). My most recent big project was a complete remodel of my den. Info and photos here:

Mark

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
My Covid Coping Mechanism continues to grow unabated...at least this one was a net no-cost, as I traded in one I no longer use for it.
IMG_5886.JPG
My first all-koa guitar, and it's a 12-fret (all of my others the neck joins the body at the 14th fret) which does have effect on tone). Been playing this one non-stop for the last few days...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One of the ways I cope with staying home is tackling various projects around the house. Some are small projects (such as replacing both faucets and pop-up drains in the master bathroom) while others are much larger (like installing a fountain, landscape lighting, rock, mulch and plants in the backyard). My most recent big project was a complete remodel of my den. Info and photos here:

Mark
I recently sorta did some... ahem... "landscaping" as well... by taking down some overgrown, freestanding weeds in our small backyard before some of them start reaching 2-plus-story height, which happened a couple times before. :P Thankfully, there weren't a lot mosquitos while I was doing that during a light rainy day -- the mosquitos may have been nesting/hatching around our neighbor's small, formerly(?) landscaped pond area nextdoor, but not sure...

Our small backyard is very spartan, and we rarely ever used it over the couple decades, but will likely use it a good deal more once we complete the dedicated HT room reno and invite friends over more regularly (after this pandemic subsides) -- the yard entrance is thru the rec room that we had previously partitioned for an extra, small bedroom plus my home office/PC room around the time of our last child's birth more than a decade ago, so we're basically turning that back into a rec room (just w/ a much more substantial, "new" HT setup this time and return our livingroom to normal)...

_Man_

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The goal for this thread is a little oasis about how you're coping with the pandemic. What's working for you. What bit of a silver lining are you grasping amidst the black thunderclouds? What concrete actions are you taking to deal with your challenges? It's a place to be real, but not dismally so. A place to discuss you, but not the nation or world. A place to support, but not tear down others if they are more worried or concerned than you might be.

I think I may have failed in explaining the goals and guidelines for this thread by not giving enough context. I'm pretty immersed in these threads and in moderating them. But not everyone is, and might not have the same big picture view I've got on keeping this thread vibrant.

I always go back to Nelson's opening paragraph where he asks how we're doing, as distinct from discussing the pandemic itself (all related statistics, news, predictions).
Hey guys, As an adjunct to the Coronavirus thread, this is a separate thread to talk about how are we coping with living in this new reality. What’s your situation like? Are you shut-in and working at home? Do you have to go to work as an essential worker? How are you dealing with avoiding potentially contracting the virus? How are you dealing with cooking, getting and food? It must be challenging too helping the kids and elder family members, etc.
The original COVID-19 thread was closed because it was repeatedly getting embroiled in politics. Despite multiple requests and moderator actions, topics kept returning to politics. It would start with innocuous stats, and or some general news piece, but would often spiral to politics.

That's why we are are aggressively moderating this thread. This is a great thread, a wonderful place to talk about dealing with the pandemic, in a way that we maybe don't have elsewhere. But the learned experience from the COVID-19 thread is comments touching the "nuts and bolts" of the pandemic like statistics or general news and especially politics are simply not allowed here, because they will lead us to where that other thread already went, which is getting locked. An otherwise personal comment that brings in national stats and news and stuff that would have otherwise been in the original news-and-stats thread is likely to be deleted here without notice. I've seen it several times lately, that those posts bring out the political conversation rather than the personal. So we're trying to cut it off early.

We're also very sensitive to rants, diatribes, obvious misinformation, and overtly wrong claims. These might be written in a coy or veiled effort to talk politics while remaining in the letter of the "law". But here, we're focusing on the thread's goal, and it's obvious when someone is violating that spirit.

Another challenge is that, I think, sometimes someone comes here in a hot moment. They're acutely worried from the news and the politics and the statistics and whatever garbage they saw on TweetBook. And they let it out here. We get it. They're scared of this pandemic and for good reason. What they fail to realize is that most of us are scared too. We are sharing what we're afriad of and how we're dealing with it. But there's a difference from that and just posting panic and inflaming the worries of everyone's who's already worried.

All of which is to say again: the desire for this thread -- a thread I personally enjoy and and strive to keep positive and open -- is to be a little oasis. Moderation will be continue to be aggressive and happen without warning or discussion. If you have a post deleted and you think it's unfair, please keep in mind that we're doing our best. It's not personal, it's just about trying to navigate a tough course on a tough topic in a tough time.

I think there's opportunities for more in this thread. I don't want to be overly proscriptive. And hopefully we're all on board in this one thread to have a little place to share about getting along through these challenging times.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I feel like I'm dealing with this just fine, but just had my first bad dream about this virus the other night. I'm in a crowded restaurant and suddenly realize that not only was no one else wearing a mask, but that I had left mine out in the car.

Not quite sure I'd call it a nightmare (This was pretty darn tame compared to some of them that I've had), but it definitely was an unpleasant dream. I guess the good news is that wearing a mask is so engrained now that it's even in my dreams.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
I still find myself occasionally getting out of my car to rush a package into FedEx or UPS and discovering after walking all the way across the parking lot that I left my mask in the car. To add insult to injury, the last time I did this, it was pouring rain and I had to slog all the way back to the car in a torrential downpour to get my mask.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
Add forgetting you manditory reusable grocery bags to this!
Here, we have the option of store-provided single use plastic bags or personal reusable bags / totes. Before the pandemic, I used my reusable totes religiously. Once the pandemic began, the Kroger where I live temporarily banned the use of them. Now, I can use them again if I wish, but I have to bag my own groceries if I do.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What I've seen is reusable bags are not allowed / used by checkout clerks. But self checkout, you can use your own bags.

I've taken over grocery shopping the past six months. That was an intentional decision my wife and I made early in the pandemic as our best guess on managing our collective risk. Now it's routine for me, and I kinda like doing it.

I've been learning to remember to bring my reusable bag when suitable: when the list is short. But I don't have multiple bags so normal shopping I still use disposable.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
What I've seen is reusable bags are not allowed / used by checkout clerks. But self checkout, you can use your own bags.

I've taken over grocery shopping the past six months. That was an intentional decision my wife and I made early in the pandemic as our best guess on managing our collective risk. Now it's routine for me, and I kinda like doing it.

I've been learning to remember to bring my reusable bag when suitable: when the list is short. But I don't have multiple bags so normal shopping I still use disposable.
We have ten reusable bags / totes and keep five in each vehicle. I have, on occasion, taken one or two in the store with me if I know I have a short grocery list and will be using the self-checkout. Most of the time, though, I have an extensive list and / or razor blades, medicine, or hair products with a security tag that will set off the door alarm if not deactivated (something the self-checkout lanes can't do) so I end up using a normal checkout lane and single use plastic bags.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Varies from store to store here. We have a statewide ban on plastic shopping bags that went into effect on July 1 (some retailers that had banned reusable bags when the pandemic started were not happy). Everyone has to bring reusable bags or pay 10 cents per paper bag in all stores. Some stores will pack reusable bags for you, some stores want you to pack your own. It's kind of maddening there's no standard.

The hard thing is remembering to take bags into non-grocery stores. I've been taking reusable bags to grocery stores for years, but never really thought to take them into other stores. Now it's a pain to be in TJ Maxx or Walmart and find you forgot your bags when you check out. So you either buy paper bags or try and somehow carry everything without one.

• Sad

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You can’t keep it in the cart and walk the cart to the car?
Yeah, I suppose if I'm using a cart. That's what happens at Costco. I usually just push the whole cart out and bag/box things in the car.

Sometimes I just use a hand basket, but I guess I could just carry that out as well and leave it with the carts. Not sure if they want people carrying hand baskets outside. That's a lot easier to "forget" and just load into your car, unlike a full size shopping cart.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
I still find myself occasionally getting out of my car to rush a package into FedEx or UPS and discovering after walking all the way across the parking lot that I left my mask in the car. To add insult to injury, the last time I did this, it was pouring rain and I had to slog all the way back to the car in a torrential downpour to get my mask.
My wife made us cloth masks, and I keep mine hanging with my hat on a hook on the door to the garage. When I put on my jacket or hoodie and hat, I hang the mask around my neck. The only thing left to remember is to actually put the mask up over my nose and mouth before I enter the store.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife made us cloth masks, and I keep mine hanging with my hat on a hook on the door to the garage. When I put on my jacket or hoodie and hat, I hang the mask around my neck. The only thing left to remember is to actually put the mask up over my nose and mouth before I enter the store.
I keep my mask in my car in the passenger seat. I also have a spare tucked into the center console in case I manage to forget the mask (brought it inside and forgot about it).

I have some spares around the house, so if I go walking to a store instead of driving, I can grab one of those. Six months in, wearing a mask daily to and from work, weekly shopping, it's habit and unusual to forget my mask.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjenis