What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
At least here in the USA, one could definitely get an Amex credit card for "free"

The US Costco AMEX was free as well but, since it was coupled with a Costco membership, there was that annual charge. As with the current Visa offering, one does have the option of opting for the Executive membership without the card if they prefer.

One additional nice thing I like about Amex is they actually give separate account numbers for additional cards linked to the primary account (unlike all other credit card issuers)... and each of them can have its own online access w/ info specific to each.
Yea, that's a nice feature. My wife's card is tied to the same Costco membership as mine but is otherwise a completely autonomous account. The Citibank Visa they now use also offers this feature but I think AMEX was doing it years before anyone else.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We only have a Cosco membership because they stopped using American Express which had a hefty membership fee, and switched to MasterCard which is free and allows my wife to collect mega air miles.

The Costco American Express card (when it existed) did NOT have a membership fee. All you paid was the standard Costco membership fee.

When the Costco American Express card was discontinued (because Costco & AmEx parted ways), AmEx offered us a free Blue AmericanExpress with exactly the same credit limit as our previous Costco AmEx and BETTER benefits. The only difference was we could no longer use it in Costco. But the benefits of the card are superior to what was offered when we had a Costco AmEx. For instance, instead of having to wait for a rebate check once a year, I can go into my AmEx account online and apply the cash rebate to my balance whenever I want to. I can do it once a month if I'd like.

At one point, AmEx offered us their Platinum card. Annual fee: $700. I said NO THANK YOU!

We have a substantially high credit limit on our "ordinary" Blue AmEx card. No annual fee and we pay the bill in full every month. The rebate money is free money AND AmEx treats us like we are valuable customers.

Mark

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The major reason we have any card is for air miles or points. We use MasterCard for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. With the air miles (we don’t travel), we have purchased a free electric, battery powered lawnmower, the most expensive self cleaning Roomba etc. etc. When my mother in law died a few years ago, we were even able to take her air miles which my wife inherited and add these to her account.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The major reason we have any card is for air miles or points. We use MasterCard for everything and pay it off at the end of the month. With the air miles (we don’t travel), we have purchased a free electric, battery powered lawnmower, the most expensive self cleaning Roomba etc. etc. When my mother in law died a few years ago, we were even able to take her air miles which my wife inherited and add these to her account.
Is anyone else seeing their rewards points show up automatically to use at checkout on Amazon? I'm wondering if this is Chase only.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is anyone else seeing their rewards points show up automatically to use at checkout on Amazon? I'm wondering if this is Chase only.

The automatic part might be a Chase thing. My other CCs have separately encouraged me to link to do so, but not automatically establish the link -- I don't recall being asked for my Chase cards.

Maybe that's because Chase has some sort of special relationship w/ Amazon, including providing the Amazon branded Visa card for quite a while now.

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can use rewards at Amazon checkout for both of my cards, neither is Chase. I don't believe I linked anything myself.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've never had a problem with any credit card before. But I've also not had this bankrupt retailer / unfufilled purchase situation before. So my priorities have been cash back and no annual fees. Previously, I've never understood AmEx: they were the mandatory corporate credit card with severe terms and no benefits I had to endure for work.

So, here I am. I may be learning new things and changing my credit card behaviors from this.
I think with VISA and Mastercard, the level of service really depends on the issuing bank. American Express is an entity on thier own and provides their own customer service, while VISA & Mastercard rely on another financial institution for that service. Personally, we've had great service from Chase with our credit cards. They have detected fraudulent charges on my card twice before I noticed it (and I check my charges quite regularly). One time they even overnighted a new card to us in South Carolina (once verifying who I was), even though they had no record of that address for us. They have also sided with us in each of the few charge disputes we filed with companies that did not come through as promised with purchases.

We do have an American Express gold card linked to our Delta Sky Miles account. We get free luggage using the card, so basically one flight per year pays the annual fee. I have thought about cancelling the card this year, though, as I doubt we will be flying anywhere soon. So far, though, I have kept it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We had trouble with one banks Mastercard. Before the zombie apocalypse, we went to the USA twice a month for shopping. Apparently the company had a policy that when you took a trip over seas they had to be informed. Their employees were mostly in far Asian countries like Shri Lanka, who do not know North American geography. Every time we went to the Buffalo area (40 min. away), they would freeze our card. No amount of talking to them would get it through their heads. We cancelled the card and got a Mastercard with another bank.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A credit appeared on the credit card balance today. Hopefully this means the dispute resolution is complete and this is the final credit. But, there's no message with it. So my wife will call this week to confirm that it's not a temporary credit pending true resolution, as I've heard of being done.

Hopefully it's over and done and I can stop stressing.

I'm not happy with how they explained (or rather, didn't explain) the process and left us feeling like we could be on the hook for interest and/or the amount depsite the situation being clear cut.

I was getting ready to cancel this card completely. Had this dragged on for another month, I definitely would. But it seems done within the billing cycle, so maybe I'll let it be.

Unfortunately this experience may slow me down even more on some desired home theater upgrades I wanted to do. Do I want to order a $500 AVR and risk this stress all over again? A $2000 4K TV? A $5000 projector?!?! (Which is my little contribution to the vicious cycle playing out in our economy at large.)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A credit appeared on the credit card balance today. Hopefully this means the dispute resolution is complete and this is the final credit. But, there's no message with it. So my wife will call this week to confirm that it's not a temporary credit pending true resolution, as I've heard of being done.

Hopefully it's over and done and I can stop stressing.

I sincerely hope so, Dave. It really sucks when you do everything right and still end up holding the bag when something goes wrong. That said, buy that HT gear anyway so that we can all have the vicarious thrill we collectively crave between our own major purchases. :cool:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
My life in New Jersey, Just the Necessities ! Food Shopping, Farmers Market, Bank, and Gas when needed. Put on my Black cloth mask when inside and around people. Take it off when I come out. Get in car and come back Home. :) My working days ended in 2012. Retired ! :biggrin: ...........This will Not be Ending anytime soon. Too many Stupid people not using Masks and not social distancing ! :huh:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My life in New Jersey, Just the Necessities ! Food Shopping, Farmers Market, Bank, and Gas when needed. Put on my Black cloth mask when inside and around people. Take it off when I come out. Get in car and come back Home. :) My working days ended in 2012. Retired ! :biggrin: ...........This will Not be Ending anytime soon. Too many Stupid people not using Masks and not social distancing ! :huh:

Congrats on your retirement!!! I think I can at least see mine in the not so distant future now.

Short of an effective vaccine I am reluctantly inclined to agree with your projections.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
They better come up with a Vaccine, other wise this will Never End ! I feel sorry for today's Kids. What a world they will be growing up in. If they even get to grow up and enjoy Life !

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve been in and out of our Vet last couple weeks.
Today a person with no mask was in with their dog.

One of the receptionists ask her to put a mask on as the Dr requires it.
None of the receptionists had masks on including the one who told the woman she needed one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just wait until kids in some areas get back to school in greater numbers. Won't take long for some of them to bring the virus home to mom & dad and others in the neighborhood. Explosive exponential growth is just a few short months away.
Funny you mention that because here is a picture from a high school that's already reopened in Georgia.

dunOd7pw

On the plus side, the halls won't be as crowded in a few weeks when many of these kids will be attending the funerals of their grandparents.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Funny you mention that because here is a picture from a high school that's already reopened in Georgia.

dunOd7pw

On the plus side, the halls won't be as crowded in a few weeks when many of these kids will be attending the funerals of their grandparents.

Respectfully, this is non-constructive criticism as you propose no workable alternative. I'm not a parent but I do (somewhat) understand the dilemma of those who are. For better or worse, our day care and public school systems are largely joined at the hip. If parent have to be at work then what are they to do with their children over the long term? Further, virtual learning is only effective for self-motivated individuals, something in rare supply at the K-12 level.

My belief is, until we have an effective vaccine there will be no safe alternative that is practical enough to be feasible. The good news is we already have a vaccine in stage 3 trials. Let's pray it pans out and soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks