Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The only problem I have is that her father, our pastor, still wants to hold church services this weekend, despite our Governor's emergency order banning the assembly of groups of 10 or more. I run the lyric videos up on the big screen during the opening worship music program, but I really do not think this is a good idea, nor do I want to go to jail.
I wouldn’t let myself be pressured into doing something like that, I hope you don’t.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t risk it either. Someone could be contagious and not even know they’re sick for another week after you hold the service. It’s too wide a window to be able to safely say “we’re sure everyone here is fine”.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And a year from now the new world will be shockingly similar to the old world.
It will probably depend on how long the chronic problems and the cascading effects remain (ie. unemployment, etc ...).

My older relatives who were kids or young adults during the 1930s worldwide great depression, had very different outlooks on life than subsequent generations. For example, they thought bank runs would still happen whenever there was a recession. (They didn't trust that bank deposits were insured up to a certain amount).

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not too much change for my family here in Brooklyn either... other than our youngest (middle-schooler) being home all day everyday now.

I was already working from home (as IT dev) for a long time before becoming "semi-retired", stay-at-home Dad and doing little things to help my wife w/ her business (though still intending to transition into some other kind of work... possibly in non-profit or maybe starting a "for-profit" business that's not really).

I guess we'll miss somethings like most local restaurants being closed even for takeout now -- we were cutting back anyway due to Covid-19. And I gotta be somewhat more on top of our youngest w/ her schooling now (though I had been more so even before all this)...

I'm also watching the stock markets more closely lately and tending much more to our retirement accounts...

The only problem I have is that her father, our pastor, still wants to hold church services this weekend, despite our Governor's emergency order banning the assembly of groups of 10 or more. I run the lyric videos up on the big screen during the opening worship music program, but I really do not think this is a good idea, nor do I want to go to jail.
Won't he consider running some kind of remote worship service? A whole lot of churches are switching to do that -- mine has just switched -- though I can imagine some of the more deeply conservative ones might resist... It's not ideal, but...

Peace...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Won't he consider running some kind of remote worship service? A whole lot of churches are switching to do that -- mine has just switched -- though I can imagine some of the more deeply conservative ones might resist... It's not ideal, but..
He wants to do both, except that my proposal for recording services was pretty much rejected as being "too complicated," so instead they are using hackneyed equipment and software to produce a 360p video file to upload to....Vimeo. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
If the ventilator keeps you going (along with other palliative treatment) for the patient to recover, then I’d say the process was lifesaving. I think people are dying because they don’t have a ventilator.
For some yes. The suggestion was that ventilators would prevent death. Which they don’t.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
You have a possible opportunity to do something important for your family and community, if you can dissuade your father-in-law from his misguided path.

If you can’t, I hope for your own family’s safety you choose to stay home this Sunday.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Definitely find some ways to remain consistently physically active (enough). Covid-19 is not the only thing detrimental to our health when confined this way...
I've been encouraging those healthy enough to prepare their yards for spring as the weather warms up. We are due for a warm spell the middle of next week.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You have a possible opportunity to do something important for your family and community, if you can dissuade your father-in-law from his misguided path.

If you can’t, I hope for your own family’s safety you choose to stay home this Sunday.
We've already decided to stay home. I hope the rest of the congregation does the same, since the whole church got sick in mid February when someone brought a sick toddler (likely the flu but could have been carona, no way to really tell since test kits are still not available at our community hospital).

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh, and for all those who can and are inclined to contribute toward this kinda fight against Covid-19, I've posted this (more or less) in the other thread before, but it's probably too buried now for anyone who didn't see...

They recently broke the "exaflop barrier" w/ all the additional contributors (mostly gamers, cryptocurrency miners and probably STEM academics/students) due to the pandemic and has been getting a bit more publicity... making their current, crowdsourced, distributed computing network roughly 10x as powerful as IBM's Summit supercomputer...

https://foldingathome.org/covid19/

They also used to run on the old PS3 before Sony stopped supporting it several years back...

I've been running it on my new DIY PC build nearly 24/7 for the last few weeks. Makes the most diff on a dedicated GPU, especially one(s) of relatively recent vintage. Probably keep doing that til the summer months when the power consumption might not be worth it...

_Man_

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Angell

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My Amazon Fresh order came today and there was a mixup - I got someone else’s three large bottles of caffeine free Diet Coke, and someone got the 14 items that were all necessary components to meals I had planned out for the next week. I did get stuff for at least two full meals so it wasn’t a total bust. It was not a great day to not get the brownie mix.

They were pretty good about the refund at least.

New slots opened for Monday so I quickly reordered everything that was missing and a couple extra things. If all goes to plan, we’ll have a pizza night, a taco night, a fish night, a roasted chicken night, a skirt steak night and a pasta night over the next week, and various combinations of the leftovers for lunch.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
My respiratory ailment continues. If it is the coronavirus, I'm definitely in the milder half of cases. But it's frustrating how this thing ebbs and flows; I'm used to getting sick and then feeling better, while with this I'll be feeling better for a while and then worse for a while and then better for a while and so on. It's discouraging when you think you've turned a corner, only to regress. Cough wasn't as bad today, but the heaviness/pain in my chest, runny nose, and fever were all worse. Tomorrow is the last day of my antibiotics, so if I'm not feeling better by then it's looking a lot more likely that my illness is viral rather than bacterial.

Thank goodness for streaming services. They keep me focused on something other than how miserable I feel.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I Became ill this week. Was off work Thursday and then stayed out yesterday and went to the Doctor. I was having issues with dizziness. Gave me antibiotics and told me to rest. I Called out of work for today and am scheduled off on Sunday. Will hope I am well enough to go back Monday

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
In most places, church services are not included in the assembly ban, however, common sense should be used. I wouldn’t risk it and I’m glad to read that you have made the decision to stay home.

Marc Hampton

Agent
Real Name
Marc
I live in midtown Manhattan....all projects I was working on, and that would be my income for the next year are cancelled.

My clients are wiped out. I’m going to be wiped out if this goes more than 2 more months.

But I have my health, and my rescue dog.

I’m blessed to have a big projection screen and so have been having my little film festivals each day....catching up on all those blu rays I’ve bought over the years, but because I work so much never got a chance to watch. Plus all the great stuff on the Criterion Channel.

Movies are truly keeping me sane.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I Became ill this week. Was off work Thursday and then stayed out yesterday and went to the Doctor. I was having issues with dizziness. Gave me antibiotics and told me to rest. I Called out of work for today and am scheduled off on Sunday. Will hope I am well enough to go back Monday
Were you able to get a coronavirus test? Because if not, and if you feel this may be it, 1) antibiotics won't kill the virus, and 2) Monday is way too early to come back to work, even if you're feeling better. Granted dizziness isn't one of the main symptoms (cough, fever, shortness of breath) but others who have tested positive have shared other symptoms that were previously not associated with COVID-19 (GI/diarrhea, extreme fatigues, etc.). It's a new disease (hence "novel") so we're still learning about it and it's symptoms.

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Well not much different from before the virus. I'm taking care of my elderly parents, who have health issues. I also have health problems.

We're doing ok, but I miss certain types of news, which during this emergency is understandable that it's not important. This should make us re-evaluate how important entertainment should be in our lives.

I have plenty of DVD's to watch. Right now, I'm watching the Netflix version of Lost in Space. It's surprisingly good, though more sixties colors such as orange and purple would have been appreciated.

Didn't go to the grocery store this morning, because I'm concerned if I get the virus, I might pass it unto my parents, and they would have a real hard time with that. Also with my lung problems, I would have a hard time with that.

I've been praying for those who still have to work at various places. And I hope that some of you do too. Also pray for the medical health personal who are exhausted with everything they're doing.

Three

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
James, will keep you (and others) in prayer (even though I hadn't said as much so far here)...

And glad that you seem to be handling all this very well...

Peace...

In Him,

_Man_

Reactions: John Dirk

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
settonconsulting