Neil Middlemiss

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Following up: My wife called Visa and talked with the claims people.
  1. If the credit card company can't get their money back from the bankrupt vendor, we're responsible for the payment
  2. We don't have to pay the charge on the credit card bill until the dispute is resolved
  3. If the resolution is not in our favor (see #1) we're responsible for all accrued credit card interest during the dispute duration

And this is why I only use American Express :)

We paid the bill in full. We're not taking the chance of getting hit by both the charge and also months of credit card interest charges on it. My wife also found in a news article a direct-claim contact with the retailer so she sent a request ot them and provided that info to the credit card company in our dispute claim records.

I need to look for other actions I should be taking in case the credit card company doesn't come through.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I'm also eating the cost of the DisneyLand ticket my wife got me for Christmas.

I'll be watching for the class-action lawsuit against Disney that I assume will happen later this year or in 2021.

• Sad
Reactions: Tony Bensley

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
And this is why I only use American Express :)
Doesn't appear that AmEx would help.

Of course, if the merchant's gone bankrupt, there may not be any money in its account to deduct. In this case, Visa , MasterCard and American Express require that the acquirer cover the loss. It's not merely a suggestion, says Teri Charest, a spokeswoman for U.S. Bank. "Banks are bound by [these] rules and parameters established by the card networks," she says.

• Sad

Neil Middlemiss

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

I’ve been afforded credits by Amex even when the rules say I technically wasn’t due. The flexibility and customer-focused treatment has always been legendary in my mind (I did work for them for 15 years which may be coloring my view :))

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’ve been afforded credits by Amex even when the rules say I technically wasn’t due. The flexibility and customer-focused treatment has always been legendary in my mind (I did work for them for 15 years which may be coloring my view :))
For paying their hefty annual fee, you should be entitled to some enhanced benefits.

• Agreed

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Our favourite restaurant in Toronto is "The Old Spaghetti" factory. We had our first date there 40 years ago. Toronto has just been allowed to operate under phase 3 conditions, which mean inside dining is allowed provided people wear masks (I guess between bites!) and are socially distant. Unfortunately seating also has been limited to a maximum of 100. TOSF is usually packed and holds 500 diners. Under the new rules they say they will go bankrupt!

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Our favourite restaurant in Toronto is "The Old Spaghetti" factory. We had our first date there 40 years ago. Toronto has just been allowed to operate under phase 3 conditions, which mean inside dining is allowed provided people wear masks (I guess between bites!) and are socially distant. Unfortunately seating also has been limited to a maximum of 100. TOSF is usually packed and holds 500 diners. Under the new rules they say they will go bankrupt!
We love The Spaghetti Factory. Haven't been to Toronto in quite a few years (other than just driving through), but we always tried to dine there when we were in town.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There’s one (or used to be) in San Diego. We loved the place.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It’s through our credit union.
I guess that's the downside of a credit union CC.

Your #3 having to owe interest on a failed dispute is particularly poor me thinks. I hope the credit union's CC comes w/ offsetting advantages. Seems like best not to use their CC for anything big or smaller and/or riskier vendors/dealers.

Maybe get a free Amex CC -- not the high-fee charge card -- and/or Chase Visa for that instead.

_Man_

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Many around here don't understand why this is necessary. I presume it's to keep crowds of people from showing up at the same time and congregating in lines waiting for tables. If the restaurant is full to allowed capacity, all they have to do is turn people away. If they're not full and not booked with reservations, they should still be able to seat walk-ins. As long as they take the contact info when the party is seated, reservations seem irrelevant.
When we ate lunch at The Publyk House in Bennington that Saturday, we had a reservation but the group in front of us didn't. The way the restaurant solved it was by having them make a reservation for 15 minutes later while they were standing there.

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN
We paid the bill in full. We're not taking the chance of getting hit by both the charge and also months of credit card interest charges on it.
Thanks for the update, Dave. I was just wondering about your situation. While I understand your decision, personally, I would never have paid that bill. The way I see it, you're their customer. They should be protecting YOU, not THEMSELVES. Pardon the CAPS but I am genuinely pissed at their self-serving stance.

As for the hit to your standing at the big 3 credit bureaus for refusing to pay this charge, again, I understand why you would want to avoid that at all costs but this is a special situation where you have done nothing wrong and are in fact a victim. This whole credit reporting system we have is hopelessly flawed but I won't get into that here. Suffice it to say I would prefer to take their 7 year phony judgement rather than be victimized in this way.

Maybe they'll ultimately come to their senses but, if not, I'd be looking for a new CC and CU.

Hang in there, man. This straight sucks!

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN
I'm also eating the cost of the DisneyLand ticket my wife got me for Christmas.

I'll be watching for the class-action lawsuit against Disney that I assume will happen later this year or in 2021.
My wife forced me to visit Disney in Florida a few years back. The whole time we were there it was raining so hard you could barely see your hand in front of your face. More than half of the attractions were closed due to weather. Disney's response? Keep the parks open with no advance warning of the ride closures, sell everyone clear plastic ponchos for $10.00 a pop and charge full price for admission.

I have a visceral hate for anything Disney.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristopherG

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the update, Dave. I was just wondering about your situation. While I understand your decision, personally, I would never have paid that bill. The way I see it, you're their customer. They should be protecting YOU, not THEMSELVES. Pardon the CAPS but I am genuinely pissed at their self-serving stance.

As for the hit to your standing at the big 3 credit bureaus for refusing to pay this charge, again, I understand why you would want to avoid that at all costs but this is a special situation where you have done nothing wrong and are in fact a victim. This whole credit reporting system we have is hopelessly flawed but I won't get into that here. Suffice it to say I would prefer to take their 7 year phony judgement rather than be victimized in this way.

Maybe they'll ultimately come to their senses but, if not, I'd be looking for a new CC and CU.

Hang in there, man. This straight sucks!
You know thats not really an option, right? It’s not just credit score, it’s debt collectors, garnishing wages, etc. if it comes to it, that money is coming out of my pocket. Its just how painful it is.

Hopefully this is all resolved in the end.

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN
You know thats not really an option, right? It’s not just credit score, it’s debt collectors, garnishing wages, etc. if it comes to it, that money is coming out of my pocket. Its just how painful it is.

Hopefully this is all resolved in the end.
Respectfully disagree. Debt collectors perhaps but certainly not wage garnishment. This isn't child support we're talking about after all.
Again, I understand your decision and wasn't trying to criticize it in any way. For me the principle in this particular case wound win out over any such concerns.

I too hope it is resolved fairly on your behalf.

Reactions: DaveF

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
In my personal experience, American Express has bent over backwards to make me happy. They are, by far, the best credit card company to deal with (from this consumer's point of view).

I don't know if it matters how much the customer spends on AmEx, maybe we get exceptional service because we are very good customers?

I suspect not, I think AmEx just values its customers more than the others.

Mark

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ibuyhousesfast