What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I need some advice. Hair salons are risk rated right along with movie theaters. Neither Stacy or I would consider a movie theater now. However Stacy gets her hair cut regularly. Her hair-dresser started doing it in his home when the salon was closed. This didn’t seem to bad, there’s fewer customers than at the salons and he cleans and sanities before and after.

Now in Arkansas, hair salons have opened and he has to return to the salon or be heavily fined. I’ve asked Stacy not to go, she acceded, but is pissed. She doesn’t see the risk. I’m 74, she’s 62, I’ve got asthma, high blood pressure, and a paralyzed diaphragm. If I get covid, I probably don’t survive.

Is my request out of line? Be honest.

Effective today, hair salons are closed again here in California (30 counties). My wife’s hair stylist never reopened. She took COVID as a cue to retire. Instead, I’ve been cutting my wife’s hair. It‘s not difficult, just time consuming. My wife has been very happy with the result.

My own hair, I’ve been cutting it myself using various depths of combs on my fancy electric beard trimmer. My wife gets the spots I can‘t see. It‘s not perfect but it‘s far from looking like I put a bowl on my head. Who gives a sheet anyway, I wear a ball cap when I go grocery shopping.

Unless we have a medical or dental emergency, we have zero need to be near anyone anytime soon. It is my goal to stay virus free even as everyone else in our neighborhood might get it. I set my expectation of staying home 24/7 for MANY months to come way back in March. I was wearing a mask in public when nobody else was doing it.

Everything that had transpired since March was predictable. Going forward, I know it‘s going to get a LOT worse than it is now. Predictable.

Mark

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a dentist appointment next week. Regular checkup. I called and checked that the appointment is still on, what they require of me, and also asked how they're handling it themselves. The admin quickly explained all the precautions they're taking, and pointed me to a video the owner created when they reopened explaining the office changes in response to the pandemic. Overall, it looks good.

I'm generally being conservative -- and I'm finding I'm more conservative than many I know. At the same time, for myself i think it is prudent to think about my total health, and skipping biannual checkups isn't the right kind of conservatism I want.

We're all making decisions in an information deficit, so I might be more wrong or more right on this. But I know long term, teeth are important, and we're not in an area that's a runaway hotspot currently, so I think this is an ok choice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need some advice. Hair salons are risk rated right along with movie theaters. Neither Stacy or I would consider a movie theater now. However Stacy gets her hair cut regularly. Her hair-dresser started doing it in his home when the salon was closed. This didn’t seem to bad, there’s fewer customers than at the salons and he cleans and sanities before and after.

Now in Arkansas, hair salons have opened and he has to return to the salon or be heavily fined. I’ve asked Stacy not to go, she acceded, but is pissed. She doesn’t see the risk. I’m 74, she’s 62, I’ve got asthma, high blood pressure, and a paralyzed diaphragm. If I get covid, I probably don’t survive.

Is my request out of line? Be honest.
I know you've already dealt with this, but I'll toss in my two cents regardless.

I won't tell you or your wife what to do, aside from communicating and find out what's motivating your responses, so you can come to a collective decision. Your wife might not really be upset about getting her haircut specifically, but might be really missing that aspect of social interactions and that little bit of "normal". So knowing fully what's upsetting her might help find a way for you to feel safe and for her to get some of what she feels she loses by keeping you safe. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife has a severely compromised immune system. Our doctor said if she gets the virus it is likely to be a very bad outcome. So, short of an actual dental emergency (broken tooth, lost filling, pain or infection), there is no freaking way we are going to take ANY risks.

My wife has left the house (with me) just 7 times since March 19. Every one of those trips she never got out of the car. All of the trips were short enough in duration that neither of us needed to use a restroom.

Meanwhile, I have friends that are attending regular parties in private homes without wearing a mask. I don’t want to see them get sick, but if they do, they will hear me say, “What the hell did you expect?”

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So a little something on the light side. I dug out my blu ray of Them and watched it tonight. For those unfamiliar with the move its an excellent 1950’s giant mutated bug movie. This time’s it’s ant.

So the eccentric professor says something like “ we can’ let the word get out about the giant ants or there will be a nationwide panic.” On this watching of the movie, (the first post-covid) I think “My god man, call your wife and have her buy all the toilet paper she can find.” :P

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So a little something on the light side. I dug out my blu ray of Them and watched it tonight. For those unfamiliar with the move its an excellent 1950’s giant mutated bug movie. This time’s it’s ant.

So the eccentric professor says something like “ we can’ let the word get out about the giant ants or there will be a nationwide panic.” On this watching of the movie, (the first post-covid) I think “My god man, call your wife and have her buy all the toilet paper she can find.” :P
Oh, jeez, Johnny, proofread. :eek:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Okay boys & girls, here's something the fits the topic title (How are you dealing...). A supreme time-waster if ever there was one....

Peer out the windows of various people all over the world!

Mark

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I know you've already dealt with this, but I'll toss in my two cents regardless.

I won't tell you or your wife what to do, aside from communicating and find out what's motivating your responses, so you can come to a collective decision. Your wife might not really be upset about getting her haircut specifically, but might be really missing that aspect of social interactions and that little bit of "normal". So knowing fully what's upsetting her might help find a way for you to feel safe and for her to get some of what she feels she loses by keeping you safe. :)
My wife needed her hair cut - we have been very good and have not gone out since this started. We even have our groceries delivered. A little checking got her a private sitting. My wife wore a mask and the cutter wore a mask and a face shield. There are people and places doing it right - you just have to look.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll admit it. With CA cases spiking...I have a pretty decent supply of TP in the house right now. Last night I was doing some grocery shopping and saw they had a robust supply at the store. I did pick up an additional 12-roll pack because damn it, I'm not going to be found wanting again. And it was the brand I like. Even after I was able to locate TP after the initial shortage in March, it was the one-ply abrasive junk.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Did some grocery shopping this morning. While there, I looked for both Lysol spray (metal can) and Clorox wipes, finding neither. As I checked out the clerk asked me if I found everything. I said everything except Clorox wipes and Lysol spray. She responded that they got a bunch of Clorox wipes on Weds and sold out in less than 2 hours after opening. There wasn't a limit and some people were buying 10-20 of them. As for Lysol spray, she said how many do you want? I said just 1 can for now (to not be a hoarding SOB) and she went to another register, opened a door down below, and pulled out a brand new can.

So, just because you don't see it on the shelf doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't ask.

Mark

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-

I’m chiming in again. Glad to see that some of the members here who got tested, tested negative! And I hope all are doing well in coping.

I re-read the first post on this thread I made four months ago! At the time I said I’d thought this might go on for two months. Many of my feelings have not changed too much, I’d still rather not go out and come into contact with strangers who might be carrying the virus. And those who refuse to wear a mask, I avoid. So staying home has been my daily existence. Its interesting to talk to co-workers who just cannot stand being home all the time and need to get out. I understand that to a degree.

Interestingly, I’ve been learning more dishes to cook and improving a bit. i still have more to learn. And if you’re an AppLe Watch wearer, you will understand what it means to close all the rings. I’ve been working out everyday! And working at home has still been working out fine.

However, yesterday I had to go to work into the office and meet some co-workers to review some components. I have not seen them face to face in four months! We had to see sample parts in person to evaluate them. So I used my brand new Outdoor Research face mask. I just got several new face masks from three different companies to try out. I learned of them from a Wired Magazine review of editors choices. The Outdoor Research Mask was pretty good and comfortable plus it has internal pockets for inserting a provided filter. Before that I used an N95 mask I had for home projects. This was a bit more fashionable. Ha, ha. I felt a little better going out knowing more about the virus then we did 4 months ago. It’s airborne, so keeping our distance and making it a short meeting was something I could deal with. We all had masks on too and I know that the building has been kept very clean and it’s a new building too. It was only an hour meeting and prior, I spent an hour alone doing another task.

On my way to work, I also stopped into a UPS store to drop off a return box to Amazon and I printed out the code for the scanner so I could just drop it on the counter without showing the scanner code on my iPhone and get out ASAP! Luckily that was ok.

I did change my clothes when I got home and washed my hands and face. I would have taken a shower too, but I felt a little more comfortable with just hand washing. Based on what I know, I don’t think any infected droplets got on me.

So it was an interesting experience to go back to the office that I’d not seen in 4 months. There is construction going on along highway 101 and I saw a lot of changes from their progress! It’s like I’ve been away. It was nice to take the car out on a much longer drive, get the fluids going in the engine and have some fun revving the engine up as I accelerated onto the highway. It’s a fun car. ( I will get a battery trickle charger, it’s been on my list )

I think I might be able to go into a Home Depot, Costco or grocery store soon, but for now, I’ll keep having stuff delivered. The infection rates have been going up and the local officials and governor has stressed avoid gatherings and wear a mask. Both I have no problems with.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Hey guys-

I’m chiming in again. Glad to see that some of the members here who got tested, tested negative! And I hope all are doing well in coping.

I re-read the first post on this thread I made four months ago! At the time I said I’d thought this might go on for two months. Many of my feelings have not changed too much, I’d still rather not go out and come into contact with strangers who might be carrying the virus. And those who refuse to wear a mask, I avoid. So staying home has been my daily existence. Its interesting to talk to co-workers who just cannot stand being home all the time and need to get out. I understand that to a degree.

Interestingly, I’ve been learning more dishes to cook and improving a bit. i still have more to learn. And if you’re an AppLe Watch wearer, you will understand what it means to close all the rings. I’ve been working out everyday! And working at home has still been working out fine.

However, yesterday I had to go to work into the office and meet some co-workers to review some components. I have not seen them face to face in four months! We had to see sample parts in person to evaluate them. So I used my brand new Outdoor Research face mask. I just got several new face masks from three different companies to try out. I learned of them from a Wired Magazine review of editors choices. The Outdoor Research Mask was pretty good and comfortable plus it has internal pockets for inserting a provided filter. Before that I used an N95 mask I had for home projects. This was a bit more fashionable. Ha, ha. I felt a little better going out knowing more about the virus then we did 4 months ago. It’s airborne, so keeping our distance and making it a short meeting was something I could deal with. We all had masks on too and I know that the building has been kept very clean and it’s a new building too. It was only an hour meeting and prior, I spent an hour alone doing another task.

On my way to work, I also stopped into a UPS store to drop off a return box to Amazon and I printed out the code for the scanner so I could just drop it on the counter without showing the scanner code on my iPhone and get out ASAP! Luckily that was ok.

I did change my clothes when I got home and washed my hands and face. I would have taken a shower too, but I felt a little more comfortable with just hand washing. Based on what I know, I don’t think any infected droplets got on me.

So it was an interesting experience to go back to the office that I’d not seen in 4 months. There is construction going on along highway 101 and I saw a lot of changes from their progress! It’s like I’ve been away. It was nice to take the car out on a much longer drive, get the fluids going in the engine and have some fun revving the engine up as I accelerated onto the highway. It’s a fun car. ( I will get a battery trickle charger, it’s been on my list )

I think I might be able to go into a Home Depot, Costco or grocery store soon, but for now, I’ll keep having stuff delivered. The infection rates have been going up and the local officials and governor has stressed avoid gatherings and wear a mask. Both I have no problems with.
Our home depot has delivery to car as has many other stores. We're in the front and they're loading the back. We also paid for instacart and have our groceries delivered - we pay a little more + tip but it just feels safer.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Other than going to Mohonk for a couple days last week, today will be just my 2nd time going indoors elsewhere (in the city) to a (big) store... and of course, to do a little in-person shopping at the B&N Criterion sale (in Tribeca) -- and I might also finally visit my brother-in-law and his little family (w/ nearly-1-yo baby son) for first time since this all began... as my wife misses her little nephew (but not so much her brother, LOL :lol:)...

Wish me luck, heh...

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good luck on your trip Man!

About Instacart, I’ve been using them the last 3 months, it’s been a great service. Though as I mentioned, one time there was a shopper who didn’t wear a mask when he unloaded the groceries at my door after I opened the door, I was wearing my N95 mask and it was outside, so I felt relatively safe.

I do need light bulbs! I could get Home Depot to ship them, I’ve had other things shipped.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As disconcerting as it is to watch the Dodgers and Giants play in front of cardboard cutouts of fans...I have come to realize that any pro sports is better than no pro sports.

This is a small but important reminder of a more normal time for me, as a baseball fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks