Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I shopped at Target today for the first time in several weeks. A whole different shopping experience without anybody lining up before the store opened and even found a shelf full of Lysol spray. Some other items were missing or low in-stock, but for the most part the shelves weren't barren like they were back in April/May.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I shopped at Target today for the first time in several weeks. A whole different shopping experience without anybody lining up before the store opened and even found a shelf full of Lysol spray. Some other items were missing or low in-stock, but for the most part the shelves weren't barren like they were back in April/May.
I've hit an Ollies a couple times in the last week. Walking Dead Compendiums, $60 cover price, for $10 each. Turns out that was the deal that got me to go into public. Bought myself a full set, went back for a couple extra to scalp online.

From my one journey out, it appears that the two major groups who think they're immune to everything and don't need masks are young males and old women.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
At Costco tonight, I saw Lysol spray (4 pack/$17) and earloop masks (box of 50/$19). No hand sanitizer, but I've found that at Walmart a few times. Plenty of paper products.

From my one journey out, it appears that the two major groups who think they're immune to everything and don't need masks are young males and old women.
Yeah, I've observed a few times that young people and older people don't seem to wear them. Mostly the middle-age folks with the masks. At least shopping at Costco, masks are required for everyone and they'll enforce it. Did not see anyone in Costco without one.

LeoA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Surprised I've not seen any of you complain about the face mask wearers that don't think it has to cover more than just their mouth. They're extremely common here in northern New York, judging by my experiences.

I'm no expert, but I don't think it takes one to recognize that for a mask to do its job, it has to also cover one's nose...

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not ideal, but better than no mask at all. Most of the risk comes from when you're speaking and expelling tiny particles into the air. Hopefully if these people feel a sneeze coming on, they'll have the presence of mind to raise their mask. I'm not sure if the simple act of breathing through your nose provides enough force to expel the necessary particulates.

LeoA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Perhaps, but I don't agree with not taking full advantage.

Surely there's a degree of self preservation in our wearing these. While we're told it's to assist asymptomatic individuals from unknowingly spreading it, the barrier also hopefully prevents those particulates from being breathed in when you walk by someone that has it.

But if you don't have it pulled over your nose, what protection there may be, even if it's only limited, isn't helping you any.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I picked up a 1-gallon jug of hand sanitizer at Costco yesterday. $19.99. Its active ingredient is ethyl alcohol (just like most other gel hand sanitizers) at 62.5%. That's down from 70% ethyl alcohol in other gel hand sanitizers I've purchased. However, the CDC's recommendation is 60% or greater for ethyl alcohol and 70% or greater isopropyl alcohol, so 62.5% should be fine.

My Costco was completely out paper towel for the first time in the last 4 visits. They were also out of Clorox wipes. Plenty of TP though.

Mark

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I think anything over 60% is fine. That was the standard recommendation even pre-pandemic. Walmart's "Equate" store brand is also around 62%.

Not too many paper towels at my Costco tonight, though the staff was rearranging the paper products aisle so they may have had more somewhere. Almost bought a pack, but decided to wait until the next visit.

Didn't see the sanitizer. I looked around the pharmacy, health/beauty, and cleaning areas, but didn't come across it.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My greatest complaints about the cloth masks we are wearing is the inability to see when looking down. If you don’t pull it down for a minute once in a while you could fall on your face as you trip over something.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I picked up a 1-gallon jug of hand sanitizer at Costco yesterday. $19.99. Its active ingredient is ethyl alcohol (just like most other gel hand sanitizers) at 62.5%. That's down from 70% ethyl alcohol in other gel hand sanitizers I've purchased. However, the CDC's recommendation is 60% or greater for ethyl alcohol and 70% or greater isopropyl alcohol, so 62.5% should be fine.

My Costco was completely out paper towel for the first time in the last 4 visits. They were also out of Clorox wipes. Plenty of TP though.

Mark
There is a growing list of hand sanitizers that are being recalled because they contain methanol. I’ll try to find the list when I get a few minutes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Surprised I've not seen any of you complain about the face mask wearers that don't think it has to cover more than just their mouth. They're extremely common here in northern New York, judging by my experiences.

I'm no expert, but I don't think it takes one to recognize that for a mask to do its job, it has to also cover one's nose...
Yeah, I see this too and it pisses me off.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I need some advice. Hair salons are risk rated right along with movie theaters. Neither Stacy or I would consider a movie theater now. However Stacy gets her hair cut regularly. Her hair-dresser started doing it in his home when the salon was closed. This didn’t seem to bad, there’s fewer customers than at the salons and he cleans and sanities before and after.

Now in Arkansas, hair salons have opened and he has to return to the salon or be heavily fined. I’ve asked Stacy not to go, she acceded, but is pissed. She doesn’t see the risk. I’m 74, she’s 62, I’ve got asthma, high blood pressure, and a paralyzed diaphragm. If I get covid, I probably don’t survive.

Is my request out of line? Be honest.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the risk is probably low if everyone is wearing masks, distancing, and practicing good hand washing. There was that story in the past couple of months where two stylists at a salon somewhere were both working while they knowingly had virus symptoms and served over 140 clients combined, and none of the clients became infected. There's risk involved with going anywhere these days where other people are present. On the other hand, given your health issues it should be easy for her to "see the risk" if she were to bring the virus home.

I stopped at two different convenience stores on my way to work this morning, both in a city that has "mandated" mask wearing in all businesses in the city. I was one of the only customers in either store with a mask. There were probably close to 20 customers in one with not a mask in sight, and about a dozen in the other with maybe half with masks. The staff was apparently not willing to do any enforcement or deny service to anyone without a mask. There were also a couple of staff that had their masks only over their mouth or around their neck. I made eye contact with one and she quickly pulled her mask up over her face.

Last edited:

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
I don't think your request is out of line. You have to do what makes you feel safe.

Of course, it's easy for me to say this. Here in New Hampshire we're doing well, all things considered. We have our nutcases (anti-maskers, etc.) just like everywhere else, but they are a small part of the overall populace. The state is largely reopened, and we aren't seeing the problems most of the other states are seeing.

My wife, Katrina, had been grumbling through the early days of the pandemic about her hair. At the risk of being sexist, it seems to be a woman thing. At the same time, she's been very much with the program regarding what needs to be done, and figured that if she couldn't hug her parents and siblings, a haircut is a luxury she could do without. Besides, other than Zoom calls, no one was going to see her shaggy hair anyway.

Hair salons were allowed to reopen here by mid-May. Katrina's hairdresser runs (always has) her salon in a part of her house, and it's just her -- no other hairdressers. She also has medical issues herself, and has been very good about keeping the place disinfected between customers after reopening. And she's spread out her schedule to make sure there's some amount of "downtime" between customers, so there's no interaction between customers.

So -- at the risk of rubbing things in -- Katrina got a haircut in mid-May, and both of us got one in early June, and Katrina has another one later today. But this is only because we trust her hairdresser is making things as safe as she can for herself and her customers. And we feel the risk is minimal because of how NH is doing overall in these circumstances. If we lived anywhere else, Katrina would probably be on the road to looking like Cousin Itt rather than take a chance on a haircut.

But, especially given your medical situation, you need to take whatever precautions you need to. As it is, while I'm in recovery, I'm not leaving the house even to run small errands like food shopping, as I'm more vulnerable at this time than normal.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What’s really unusual about this situation is that Stacy is very protective of me. I am not allowed to go into stores, she does that, though it’s rare. We get food delivered from Whole Foods and do pickup with Kroger and Walmart. Still, she has blind spots. We just had a pest treatment inside and out. The worker wore a mask and so did I. Stacy did not.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think it’s out of line to put the haircut on hold.

My stepmom got one a couple weeks ago. We’re in NY where the numbers are moving in the right direction. She was the only customer allowed in the hair salon at the time, had to wear a mask as did the hairdresser, and both she and the hairdresser weren’t allowed to speak during it as an extra precaution. And yet, I was nervous about her going just the same, and she was fine.

So there’s an honest disagreement between reasonable two people with different interpretations of personal risk.

I think it’s one of those things that’s “probably okay”. Now my own attitude in all of this is that I’m trying to limit how many “probably okay” things I do because I feel like if I do enough “probably okays” eventually one of them will wind up being “not okay” by law of averages.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid