Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
The other day, with my mask on, I was at the counter of our local convenience store and paying for my goods. At that moment, this guy who’s been acquainted with me for years; and wearing a loosely fitted half-assed bandana on his face; gets right up and into me face - and I mean within a no personal space of three inches - to show me his winning scratch ticket.

“I just won 509 bucks, man”.

This behavior of his in the days of pre-Covid would’ve been somewhat expected by the regulars who know of him, but I found it to be way, way out of bounds in today’s new world.

Without missing a beat, I replied, “Six feet, guy, ya gotta get six feet back”.

Not happy with my urgent reminder, he replied, “Oh you’re one of those. Why don’t you just move out of town?”

I answered, “It’s gonna be the same deal wherever you go in this country”.

“No it’s not”, he said.

I just looked at him in worn-out disbelief and left.

Of all people that I have locally encountered, one would think that Our Man of 500 Bucks fame would’ve been amongst those most concerned; as he is 64 and has had two major life-saving surgeries, just a couple of years back.

Why, even now, is our country still divided by those who believe in the seriousness of this pandemic and those who still walk around thinking that Covid isn’t that big of a deal? What’s not to get?
I think we are just now realizing that a significant percentage of people are either not nice, or very selfish. Or both.

The popular saying is that adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. We are learning a lot about the character of our fellow humans right now.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think we are just now realizing that a significant percentage of people are either not nice, or very selfish. Or both.

The popular saying is that adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. We are learning a lot about the character of our fellow humans right now.
This will be one of the major changes in our lives, post-covid.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
I got my results Friday and I’m negative.
Congrats. As I'd said before, I went to get a test Tuesday ahead of a surgical procedure on Friday. Turned out there was a labeling screw-up somewhere in the pipeline, so none of the tests made on that Tuesday were considered valid. So when I checked into Day Surgery on Friday morning, I had to have another test that was rushed through (along with anyone else who's Tuesday test was no good). It was negative.

Procedure went fine, and I've been recovering. I have a stent that needs to be removed next Monday, but otherwise, everything is A-OK. My wife and I spent a couple of hours yesterday having a "Socially Distanced Get-Together with family in honor of my mother-in-law's birthday (which is today). Both of us found it a bit disconcerting that things got a little more social and a little less distanced, but I suppose everyone was on auto-pilot and aren't used to maintaining distance from family.

On the other hand, we know that all of the family members have been very focused on playing by the rules. My parents-in-law are in their 80s; my sister-in-law's family has a young girl with health issues and therefore at risk; my brother-in-law is a firefighter, and because he's out on the front lines, he's been very careful about making sure he doesn't bring anything home to his family. And I tested negative on Friday, and that means it's clear that my wife is negative as well (if she wasn't, then I wouldn't be).

Anyway, we didn't stay long, as my recovery means I'm rather low on vim. But it was nice to see everyone. Other than my parents-in-law (we had a socially distanced lunch with them in our backyard a month or so ago) and one nephew (who does yard work for us), we hadn't seen anyone since we hosted my father-in-law's birthday back at the beginning of March.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I had a stent years ago going from my kidney to my bladder.
Worst 5 days of my life.
I made them take it out before they water to.
Unbelievable pain.

• Sad
Reactions: jayembee

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Worst 5 days of my life.
Unbelievable pain.
Were they going to leave it in if you had not objected. What does “before they water to.” Mean?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Before they WANTED to.
Was supposed to stay in for a week to 10 days but it was burning and irritated so I had them remove it.
This was after surgery to remove some kidney stones.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
@jayembee did you have a blocked artery? It didn’t know stents were removed, I thought they left them in.

Congratulations on the test results and the successful procedure.
Worst 5 days of my life.
Unbelievable pain.
What TonyD said. I had a kidney stone removed. It wasn't very big, but according to the surgeon, my ureter was tighter than usual, so the stone was lodged. As TonyD says, the stent runs from the kidney to the bladder to prevent inflammation of the tissue from cutting off flow. The removal of the stent is an in-office procedure, but more than that, I don't know what's involved. I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to it.

TonyD: sorry it didn't go better for you. The rest of Friday, and most of Saturday was rather rough. I didn't think I'd be up for the party on Sunday, but Saturday night into Sunday I started feeling better, and I'm doing pretty well at the moment. The occasional Tylenol helps with the slight discomfort, but other than that, the only problem I have is low energy, mostly because I haven't gotten a lot of sleep after two nights of having to get up every 40-50 minutes to use the loo.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Removal is relatively simple. A little lidocaine shot up there with a syringe
Then a scope with a little hook on the end.
Grab it and pull it out.

Uncomfortable but generally pain free.

Reactions: jayembee

morasp

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I am also seriously entertaining the idea of stopping my coffee consumption altogether.

A few days ago I didn't drink any cofee all day, and found that my mind was not racing as fast and my anxiety level was not as high (relatively).
I used to roast my own coffee beans from Ethiopia but switched to white tea several years ago. It's not the Jolt that coffee gives you but it feels more natural and I fell more alert and clear thinking for the whole day.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
Removal is relatively simple. A little lidocaine shot up there with a syringe
Then a scope with a little hook on the end.
Grab it and pull it out.

Uncomfortable but generally pain free.
I figured it wouldn't be thay painful if they're doing it in the office. In my case, there's a string attached. My wife jokingly referred to it as a tampon.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Father Time is undefeated. All manner of uncomfortable things are in our future. Things we never would have considered when we were invincible during our teens and 20s. Now it's a matter of when, not if...

Reactions: ChristopherG

Mark Booth

Premium
I believe it is only a matter of time before one or more of the people in my circle of friends comes down with COVID. I've also prepared myself for losing one or more of them. It seems inevitable.

Mark

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
On the positive side of this terrible mess (and about movies, our real subject ;) ): I just read that The Empire Strikes Back has a new boxoffice-high in the US, due to many drive-in studios coming to welfare again.
Great you (still) have those so abundantly! It's part of the culture of your country: we don't have 'em.

Cees

Reactions: DaveF

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay