The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
This virus is horrific.

Thankfully I'm able to work from home, so still have a job - but I know many others aren't nearly as lucky.

Unemployment is worse than it's ever been, even worse than what was seen during the Great Depression in the U.S. (roughly 100 years ago).

Still haven't been able to find TP, Kleenex, etc. in stores.

Like many others, I am self-isolating as much as possible. I feel fine, and have been very careful. However, if I get sick there is no way in hell I'm going to try to go to a hospital or doctor's office - which will just make things worse. And, what's the point of going to the doctor/hospital even if you're sure you have the illness?! They can't do anything for you anyway, and you'll just be infecting others. And, you may get even sicker due to being around other sick people.

And, if you're not sure if you have the illness, I don't see the benefit of going to the doctor's office/hospital either - because if you're not sick, you may get sick because of exposure to other sick people. And, that will just make the whole pandemic worse. Also, there's no vaccine/cure for COVID-19 yet, so I don't see the point anyway.

It truly feels like the end of the world is at hand, and it's obvious that things will never be the same again.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m not as far gone as Jim the Drifter feels but I can understand it.
It’s scary as heck. There hasn’t been anything in a century that has been like this.

Some people always think that It is ALWAYS worse then what they tell us.

It still appears that it will be worse then what we have already seen here in the states.

Reactions: Tino

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Getting medical help will put you on a respirator in extreme cases, and prevent you from dying.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
My bidet seat installation didn’t go so well because I was missing a gasket. I called Koehler and they have the part on its way to me, but it probably won’t be here until Monday. Luckily we still have two working toilets in the house.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Getting medical help will put you on a respirator in extreme cases, and prevent you from dying.
What do you mean? Being on a respirator will help get you through the worst and maybe save your life. It is true that after a certain number of days on a respirator, the chances of survival decrease.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
He could be referring to the shortage of ventilators in outbreak areas. If you need one in NYC right now, you probably won’t get one.

Last edited:

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
What do you mean? Being on a respirator will help get you through the worst and maybe save your life. It is true that after a certain number of days on a respirator, the chances of survival decrease.
I assume we’re speaking about ventilators. It certainly helps. It does not prevent death. Many patients on ventilators have succumbed. Especially those with underlying conditions.

We need to be careful not to spread false information. Not directed at anyone in particular.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Agree about those devices that help you breathe - whatever they are. They may prolong your life (if they even have any available for you to use), but if you can't breathe without them, you'll probably still die anyway. Screw that.

Again, I'm staying away from doctor's offices/hospitals during this pandemic - those places are breeding grounds for infection/illness at the best of times, and are even worse now. If I get sick & do need medical help to survive, I'm screwed - but, so be it.

Also, to follow up on another post: I know some on here know this anyway, but don't flush baby wipes/napkins/paper towels down the toilet; they don't break down like toilet paper & will clog up your pipes and/or the sewer system in general. After you use them, just thrown them in the trash. I know it's gross, but it's better to do that than to later have an issue that will clog the toilet & require a plumper; result in low water capacity; clog up the sewer system, etc. In fact, I wouldn't even flush tissue paper down the toilet since that doesn't break down as easily as toilet paper, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/us/flushable-wipes-clog.html

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you get sick with something other than Covid-19 and need attention, you’ll get care, and it’ll be safe. As lots of people have noted, different doctors offices and ERs have set procedures for what to do if you have Covid or anything else. If you wanted to see your regular doctor, in all likelihood, his waiting room has been closed for some time. A lot of doctors are either consulting with patients online, or having them come to the office but stay in their car until it’s appointment time - then they call you and tell you to come in, so you’re not sharing an elevator or waiting room.

These are indeed troublesome times but if you’ll forgive me for saying so, you may be carrying more worry than you need to.

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I fInd myself listening to more music these days. This particular song feels especially relevant...

It is going to get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

- Walter.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Daily life in the Erwin household has not changed all that much. My wife has been telecommuting for several years, except now she has to deal with a lot more people who are telecommuting than previously. She works in the medical IT field, so it is essential, more now than ever before, that systems at dialysis centers collect and deliver correct data on patients. The major difference is that my afternoons, at least Monday thru Thursday, are spent tutoring my adopted niece with homework the school has sent out. She comes over shortly after lunch and stays until about 5pm, so that is cutting into my afternoon disc review time.

We are trying to make our TP last as long as possible, and are thankful I found two large Costco-sized boxes of Cottonelle butt wipes, except we have to remember NOT to flush them, as the sewage system in this rural town is nearly 100 years old. In that regard, we are also thankful that we have amassed a large collection of plastic grocery bags to assist in the disposal of said butt wipes.

The real bummer is that today is my 55th birthday, and we had planned, at first, a weekend in San Diego, then a weekend in Reno, then a night out in Fallon that consisted of a nice dinner at the new Indian restaurant and a movie at the theater complex there in town (the closest within 75 miles for us), and now it's home-made turkey crust pizza for dinner, fresh made brownies for dessert, and possibly viewing one of my all-time favorite movies.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Daily life in the Erwin household has not changed all that much. My wife has been telecommuting for several years, except now she has to deal with a lot more people who are telecommuting than previously. She works in the medical IT field, so it is essential, more now than ever before, that systems at dialysis centers collect and deliver correct data on patients. The major difference is that my afternoons, at least Monday thru Thursday, are spent tutoring my adopted niece with homework the school has sent out. She comes over shortly after lunch and stays until about 5pm, so that is cutting into my afternoon disc review time.

We are trying to make our TP last as long as possible, and are thankful I found two large Costco-sized boxes of Cottonelle butt wipes, except we have to remember NOT to flush them, as the sewage system in this rural town is nearly 100 years old. In that regard, we are also thankful that we have amassed a large collection of plastic grocery bags to assist in the disposal of said butt wipes.

The real bummer is that today is my 55th birthday, and we had planned, at first, a weekend in San Diego, then a weekend in Reno, then a night out in Fallon that consisted of a nice dinner at the new Indian restaurant and a movie at the theater complex there in town (the closest within 75 miles for us), and now it's home-made turkey crust pizza for dinner, fresh made brownies for dessert, and possibly viewing one of my all-time favorite movies.
It’s a good cause that’s cutting into your disc review time. This coming a week from today is number 74 for me. Our next door neighbors and good friends who are practicing social distancing will come over for dinner and cake (a recipe my mom used to make). It will just be the 4 of us.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The only problem I have is that her father, our pastor, still wants to hold church services this weekend, despite our Governor's emergency order banning the assembly of groups of 10 or more. I run the lyric videos up on the big screen during the opening worship music program, but I really do not think this is a good idea, nor do I want to go to jail.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I assume we’re speaking about ventilators. It certainly helps. It does not prevent death. Many patients on ventilators have succumbed. Especially those with underlying conditions.

We need to be careful not to spread false information. Not directed at anyone in particular.
If the ventilator keeps you going (along with other palliative treatment) for the patient to recover, then I’d say the process was lifesaving. I think people are dying because they don’t have a ventilator.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid