What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm getting one shortly. My wife and I got one a few weeks ago (both negative), but I have a procedure on Friday (I have a kidney stone that hasn't passed yet). While I can't leave the house between today and Friday, my wife can, and I don't have to isolate myself from her, which seems weird. She'll need to wear a mask if she goes out, but we both do anyway.

Anyway, good luck, Johnny.:emoji_vulcan:
It’s this becoming standard, get a procedure, get a test?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hey guys...thank you for all the kind thoughts. Now I have to have someone stick a swab up my nose. Hmmm....sounds like a tongue twister from Danny Kaye.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It’s this becoming standard, get a procedure, get a test?

I imagine it is. Having a procedure is riskier if you have Covid. For you and for the people working on you. If you have a positive test, you have to decide (along with the surgeon) whether it is necessary enough to do right away to take the risk, or whether it can be put off for another couple of weeks.

The test isn't as bad as it was the first time. Well, it is in that the swab goes up a little farther than comfortable, but this time they only did one nostril. The previous time I got a test, it was both.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was scheduled for 8-9am. Got there about 5 till and we were done before 8am. It was a drive-thru and only one vehicle in front of us. Test was only one nostril and wasn’t too bad. I hope they get the results done in time for my test on Friday.
My wife and I have each been tested twice for our jobs. All four tests were performed at different locations and processed at different labs. Each test result was returned within three days so there's a good chance you might find out Thursday sometime.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I have each been tested twice for our jobs. All four tests were performed at different locations and processed at different labs. Each test result was returned within three days so there's a good chance you might find out Thursday sometime.
I was not surprised there was no line since I was able to schedule it yesterday. I find this odd because there are reports now that testing supplies are starting to be hard to find.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Decided to do something different today to cope.

Pulled out some old musical instruments I had in storage. (I don't really play music since I was a kid/teenager/youngadult). I came to the realization very quickly how much I forgot over the past few decades.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After discussion, Moderators have concluded that antagonistic and passive-aggressive humor is harmful to the health and continued success of these Coronavirus threads. I’ve deleted the recent post, its wholly expected antagonistic reactions, and we’ll delete future such posts.

Last edited:

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
My wife and I just came back from a socially distant vacation. We had plans for a very different type of summer vacation, but the coronovirus put an end to that. We still wanted to get away for a few days but also wanted to do it safely, so we rented a cabin in the Adirondacks near Saranac Lake. We took a few extra precautions: we brought all the food we would need, wiped down all the surfaces as soon as we got to the cabin, and generally just avoided close contact with anyone else. We did go into Lake Placid one day and I couldn't wait to get out of there -- too many people without masks and not being respectful of maintaining distance. Even though it was still just the two of us avoiding close contact with other people, it was nice to do that someplace other than at home.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Arizona is having a whopping 28% positive rate on its coronavirus testing. The national average is around 7%. Last night’s news showed cars in very long lines at testing sites in Arizona. The report said some people were having to wait in line up to 14 hours to get a test. WTF?

Where did these people use the restroom and how much more virus got spread when they went there?

Also, after an open letter from a large group of scientists on Monday, which criticized the WHO for not addressing airborne spread, the WHO has announced it will be updating its guidelines. The scientists‘ testing indicates the virus might linger in indoor air and spread farther in indoor air then previously assumed.

All indications are that this virus is insidiously contagious. People that refuse to wear a face covering are, quite literally, causing the death of others. Many states that have failed to enact mandatory face coverings (or waited too long) are now seeing infection rates explode and their hospital ICU beds at full capacity. In a few more weeks, areas of Florida, Arizona and Texas are likely to be where areas of New York were in April.

New York, BTW, has truly flattened its curve. Its positive rate on coronavirus testing is around 1%. I guess New Yorkers learned something, a lesson that many other areas of the U.S. will be learning all too soon.

Mark

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sure no signs of it in my neck of the woods. The rate of wearing masks has appeared to have plummeted in the North Country in recent weeks.

Life past such mandates as movie theaters having to stay closed, largely appears and feels normal here lately. Hopefully everyone relaxing their guard doesn't come back and bite.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We have friends that live in Florida. The very weekend after the state started reopening (sooner than most states) these friends posted photos to Facebook showing them on a large party boat with several dozen other people. None of the others were family and nobody was wearing a mask.

All caution got thrown to the wind. It's happening all over the U.S.

Here in San Diego, after about 3 weeks of restaurants being reopened with limited seating, the positive test rate started climbing again. Effective yesterday, indoor dinning and movie theaters are closed down in our County again.

This virus is not going away on its own. It's not going to "burn out" until it's touched the majority of people that aren't taking precautions. By that time, I predict it will be 1 million dead in the U.S.

Mark

• Sad

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We have friends that live in Florida. The very weekend after the state started reopening (sooner than most states) these friends posted photos to Facebook showing them on a large party boat with several dozen other people. None of the others were family and nobody was wearing a mask.

All caution got thrown to the wind. It's happening all over the U.S.

Here in San Diego, after about 3 weeks of restaurants being reopened with limited seating, the positive test rate started climbing again. Effective yesterday, indoor dinning and movie theaters are closed down in our County again.

This virus is not going away on its own. It's not going to "burn out" until it's touched the majority of people that aren't taking precautions. By that time, I predict it will be 1 million dead in the U.S.

Mark

It’ll burn itself out when there’s no more fuel to consume. That can be accomplished by all of us dying or by all of us denying it fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agreed

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The city in which I live passed an ordinance requiring face coverings to enter any businesses and most large businesses posted signs on their doors denying entry to anyone not wearing a mask. Then the city stated the ordinance is not enforceable by law. The result? Still about 50% of people are wondering around inside said businesses without face coverings.

Stop! or I’ll say Stop! again.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The city in which I live passed an ordinance requiring face coverings to enter any businesses and most large businesses posted signs on their doors denying entry to anyone not wearing a mask. Then the city stated the ordinance is not enforceable by law. The result? Still about 50% of people are wondering around inside said businesses without face coverings.

Stop! or I’ll say Stop! again.

Without getting too much into politics, I fully expect that at some point in the future, there are going to be new laws and regulations regarding public safety during things such as a pandemic (this isn't the last one the world will face) that are going to make these types of mandates enforceable. Of course, these regulations will be challenged in court and may eventually go all the way to SCOTUS. Just something I've been thinking about in the face of the resistance to these types of policies.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A grocery store is a private business, not public property. Private businesses are allowed to refuse service to someone who is not abiding by the rules of conduct and attire as stipulated by the business. A grocery store does NOT have to do business with someone without a mask if wearing a mask is the policy.

What is lacking is the will to enforce the rules. Neither grocery clerks nor managers want to be the “police” in their place of work.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have tremendous sympathy for grocery store workers. Especially for non-management, they’re not being paid enough relative to the risks their job currently entails. And I don’t think it’s fair to place the burden of public safety enforcement on clerks making minimum wage. Most of us have seen news stories or social media reports of people who refused to wear masks either threatening to use violence or actually using violence when confronted about not following posted regulations. It’s simply not worth engaging someone who might pull a gun on you, punch you, or spit in your face, particularly when you’re making minimum wage and aren’t trained for those situations.

What these stores probably should do is use some of the money they’re earmarking towards covid measures towards hiring full time security to check people as they enter and someone roaming within the store. Hire a couple people that do this professionally and let them enforce the rules. I would bet most of the fight would disappear from people if the guy asking you to wear the mask is ten feet tall and built like a tank.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have had one or two incidents of people having angry confrontations with store clerks. Thank goodness the impression ninety percent of the population has is that they are nuts. For most of the pandemic grocery workers were given a nice raise for staying on the jobs and are called heros in the press.

• Agreed

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have tremendous sympathy for grocery store workers. Especially for non-management, they’re not being paid enough relative to the risks their job currently entails. And I don’t think it’s fair to place the burden of public safety enforcement on clerks making minimum wage. Most of us have seen news stories or social media reports of people who refused to wear masks either threatening to use violence or actually using violence when confronted about not following posted regulations. It’s simply not worth engaging someone who might pull a gun on you, punch you, or spit in your face, particularly when you’re making minimum wage and aren’t trained for those situations.

What these stores probably should do is use some of the money they’re earmarking towards covid measures towards hiring full time security to check people as they enter and someone roaming within the store. Hire a couple people that do this professionally and let them enforce the rules. I would bet most of the fight would disappear from people if the guy asking you to wear the mask is ten feet tall and built like a tank.
1594417828165.png

Please join me in welcoming our newest grocery store employee! He has an important safety announcement regarding our mask policy...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks