Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So this is the neighborhood I just moved out of:

Keep in mind that when this article was written, restaurants were not allowed to be open for in person dining, social gatherings were to be restricted to groups of ten or smaller, and masks and social distancing was mandatory.

I loved living in Astoria. I loved my neighborhood. But it has been tremendously unsettling to first see the hospital overwhelmed by the number of patients and the refrigerator trucks with bodies lining the street, while also seeing a not insignificant number of people deciding that the rules didn’t matter and that the pandemic was over because they didn’t feel like wearing a mask anymore. A small but not insignificant number of people have decided that not only are they no longer following the rules, but that they’re also going to be actively hostile and disruptive towards people that are.

I never imagined that my neighborhood would turn into a place where people would curse you from behind as you walked for wearing a mask, or who would intentionally cross your path from less than six feet without one just to bully you. I don’t understand what the goal is here.

I really thought I’d live in cities for the rest of my life and now I think I could be done with that. Living in cities requires a certain degree of trust in and empathy for your neighbors. Without that, there’s nothing.

When people ask me when I’ll feel safe going to a movie or any other activity, I really don’t know how to answer that when it feels like people are just trolling other people in real life. How can there be a feeling of safety or comfort when every time you go out in a mask, you’re putting yourself in the path of someone who has decided they’re offended by the sight of you and won’t hesitate to let you know?

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have never been a city dweller. In my youth I thought it would be awesome but never really made it happen. As it is I live in the suburbs of Baltimore just outside the beltway. We are close to retirement and TBH I can't wait to move out of Maryland. It is not even remotely retirement friendly for one thing. We are looking to move into the boonies of either east Tennessee or West NC in the mountains. I am looking forward to being a semi hermit with dogs, gardens and nature.

Reactions: LeoA

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I never imagined that my neighborhood would turn into a place where people would curse you from behind as you walked for wearing a mask, or who would intentionally cross your path from less than six feet without one just to bully you. I don’t understand what the goal is here.
Not at all surprised this is happening, and it's occurring everywhere. What's worse is when these people cough on you! This entitled, stupid bitch should be arrested for assault:

• Agreed
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Not at all surprised this is happening, and it's occurring everywhere. What's worse is when these people cough on you! This entitled, stupid bitch should be arrested for assault:

I am just not seeing this behavior around here. Just today, we were walking around the downtown area of our hometown (decided to go out for lunch), and there were a combination of people walking outside in the park with and without masks. Everyone was polite and respecting distances -- the same as I have been seeing all along.

We did go out to dinner the other night and asked our waitress how it was going so far. She said that last Friday evening was a little crazy, with several grouchy people giving them problems about wearing a mask until they got seated. I just haven't observed any such behavior myself anywhere, and we have been out to eat about a half dozen times since the restaurants opened around here. I have also been to the golf courses many times over the past month or so.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What I miss is that I am used to giving a warm smile to my fellow human beings as I pass them, and they can’t see me now!

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I've found that this is a key part of dealing with the ... all this. I don't think of myself as an exercise nut. But getting out a couple times a week to exhaust myself, to have something I can control and work towards, is now essential to my own mental well being. I'm fortunate to have a park exercise track a mile from my house. I can jog there, spend an hour, and then walk or jog back. I ended last week feeling really just broken and defeated, for multiple reasons, so nearly 90 minutes yesterday morning before it was too hot out, made a huge difference for the weekend.
IMG_4129.png

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Any poster that makes a political reference in this thread will be banned from it. Just because you're upset with how this pandemic is being handled doesn't mean you can disregard our posting guidelines regarding no-political talk.

Edit: Furthermore, Ownership and the Moderator Staff are concerned with the number of vitriolic posts in this thread. That needs to stop, otherwise, we will have no choice, but to close this thread down. Going forward such posts will be deleted and those that post them will be subject to being banned from this thread. We can't allow such emotional and personal comments to become the norm in our community.

There will not be any further warnings!

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
How am I dealing with the COVID-19 virus situation?

Kind of freaking out about the current statistics for the greater Houston area. I was fairly paranoid about the whole situation as it developed and the current chart profiles aren't assuaging my concerns. Just kind of playing a waiting game, because there aren't a lot of options. The CDC has estimated that the infections might be an order of magnitude higher than the data shows; trying to determine if that is a good thing (mortality rates might be much lower) or a bad thing (more likelihood of spread of the disease.)

- Walter.

ChristopherG

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Feels good to get a haircut. I was way overdue when things started to heat up in March.
I haven't had a haircut since February. Keep telling my wife I'm going for shoulder length. She hasn't signed off so a haircut may be in my future. We'll see. With all he spiking going on I'm fine with my unkept shagginess....

Reactions: TravisR

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I’ve had to get my hair cut twice since this certain global health crisis began, this morning being the most recent. I usually get it cut every four weeks and waiting over two months between cuts is really annoying. I use SportClips and they’re exercising as much caution as they can. Only four chairs can be used at once, and only four people are allowed in the waiting area at once when it’s raining or extremely hot. On mild days, no one is allowed in the waiting area and everyone waits out on the sidewalk or in their cars. You get your temp checked at the door and answer the standard questionnaire. Masks are required at all times unless you get a shampoo and then you are required to cover your mouth and nose with a towel. I always opt for a hot towel face massage with my shampoo so that’s not an issue for me. I actually feel safer getting my hair cut than going to Walmart or Lowe’s, where it’s the Wild West of social distancing and no one wears a mask.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I went to my normal place to get my hair cut this past week, and they were taking the proper precautions to make me feel comfortable. I had my hair cut twice when the salons were closed by a friend of the family who is a long time hair stylist, so I haven't been too shaggy (I normally get my hair cut about every 4-5 weeks).

Reactions: ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I’ve had to get my hair cut twice since this certain global health crisis began, this morning being the most recent. I usually get it cut every four weeks and waiting over two months between cuts is really annoying. I use SportClips and they’re exercising as much caution as they can. Only four chairs can be used at once, and only four people are allowed in the waiting area at once when it’s raining or extremely hot. On mild days, no one is allowed in the waiting area and everyone waits out on the sidewalk or in their cars. You get your temp checked at the door and answer the standard questionnaire. Masks are required at all times unless you get a shampoo and then you are required to cover your mouth and nose with a towel. I always opt for a hot towel face massage with my shampoo so that’s not an issue for me. I actually feel safer getting my hair cut than going to Walmart or Lowe’s, where it’s the Wild West of social distancing and no one wears a mask.
I fricking love sports clips and miss it dearly.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
never imagined that my neighborhood would turn into a place where people would curse you from behind as you walked for wearing a mask, or who would intentionally cross your path from less than six feet without one just to bully you. I don’t understand what the goal is here
I am becoming quite fatalistic about the future of the US. They way to get thru this situation is oh, so clear. Wear masks. But America has arrived at a point where we don’t care about each other anymore.

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Real Name
Adam
I am becoming quite fatalistic about the future of the US. They way to get thru this situation is oh, so clear. Wear masks. But America has arrived at a point where we don’t care about each other anymore.
People keep talking about their rights but they have forgotten the responsibilities that go along with them.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meaghutter