What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Still rocking the long hair. Probably hasn’t been this long in 12ish years. Before all this CV19 BS one of my simple pleasures in life was going to sports clips and getting the MVP treatment. I do miss it but I think I can wait another month to see what happens here in Maryland as things continue to open back up.
I’ve been going in to work 2-3 days per week and WFH the rest. The commute on I 95 has been wonderful so I guess that’s one silver lining for me at least.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have to admit, I got a haircut too. CA allowed barber/salons to open. I made the first reservation available for my barber. There were only 3 working (with 3 customers) in a room that normally has 8 (so 16 total people) chairs. We were all PPE'd appropriately (and spaced about 12' apart) and I did ask that he cut my hair extra short so I can add another week or two in between appointments.

Going back decades, I've gotten one haircut a year, generally after Easter or Memorial Day. The past couple of years, I've gotten a second one in the fall. I was going to get one in early April, but Covid scotched that. But NH has allowed salons, etc. to reopen for several weeks now. My wife finally got a haircut in mid-May, and I'm scheduled with her hairdresser (whom I've been using for the last several years) next week. I'm not chomping at the bit, though it's been hot (80s) and humid here in NH this week, and I need to get shorn to allow the back of my neck to breathe.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm still going without a haircut. My sideburns are past my ears now and I love it. Once the barbers reopen around me, I'll still probably wait a long time just because I don't feel like waiting in the inevitable huge line. :)

The commute on I 95 has been wonderful so I guess that’s one silver lining for me at least.
Traffic is still barely a blip near me. I go out and run most mornings and I still only see 30 cars max. Normally, that many cars go past me in a minute or two minutes if it's a slow morning. It is more than in April when I wouldn't even see 10 cars. It was like the town had been abandoned.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have a family friend who manages a salon and has been cutting hair for decades. She has a mini-salon with a single chair in her basement, so I've had my hair cut twice during the "barber ban". If I cannot get an appointment easily when my normal place has re-opened, I will go back to her one more time. It's a 50 minute drive one way versus less than 5 minutes to my regular place, though, so I would prefer to keep the business local.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Traffic on Long Island (outside of NYC) seems to have returned to pre-pandemic levels. Perhaps not coincidentally, LI is the only region of NY that has reopened and then had some regressions in numbers.

My wife wants to try cutting my hair for fun and I think I’m gonna let her.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Here's an old photo of my father standing beside the Allis-Chalmers he restored:

img7892-X4.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Reading about haircuts from you guys. Here in Northern California, there are only a few counties where barber shops and salons can open, in the main Bay Area they are not allowed to open yet. I feel bad for the lady whose been cutting my hair. I almost was going to try to lightly trim my hair, but decided after a few months to let it go. It’s not like I will have a ponytail anytime soon, but it’s long enough to be like I had it in college. I think I might even let it go longer and see what happnens! I haven’t shaved in three weeks too. I can‘t grow a full beard, but I’m curious what it will look like.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I’m a car guy. I can appreciate vintage cars and well maintained/restored vehicles. :)
Here's my Dad with his 1946 John Deere farm tractor. He also had a restored 1975 John Deere lawn tractor that he used to mow the lawn and clear snow.

img7960-X4.jpg

FYI, both the photos were scans of old 35mm color negatives that I did as part of a recent project to digitize all my Dad's old family photos during this lock down. I created a thread in the Photography Forum here discussing the project.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Two things I noticed going grocery shopping this morning. Most of the items that were in short supply back in March and April were plentiful this morning. Things that were plentiful in March and April, were in very short supply this morning like Baked Beans and PAM of all things.:unsure:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fortunately, all the lockdown rules here in Michigan did not prevent us from selling my parents home in northern Michigan. The closing was completed on Wednesday, and my mother received her check yesterday. So now the only business issue yet to be completed is the estate sale, and it looks like that should be opened up by June 10th. That means the auction house should be able to schedule the auction for sometime late in June. They hauled all the items off the property to their location before the Memorial Day holiday. My father owned a couple of vintage, restored farm tractors (a 1946 John Deere and a 1952 Allis Chalmers), plus lots of woodworking machines and an incredible amount of hand tools.

Just to explain, for those who don't know, my parents have lived in rural northern Michigan for the past 30+ years on an 11 acre piece of property. My father passed away a week before Christmas after a long illness, and we were fortunate to find a great deal on a condo for my mother down here in southeastern Michigan very quickly that was perfect for her. We were able to close on the condo, complete a bunch of renovations, and get her moved in by March 7th, before the lock down. We put her home up north on the market in late February, but the lock down in mid March shut down the real estate market. Fortunately, once the lock down for real estate sales was lifted at the beginning of May, we had immediate interest in the property and received a cash offer quickly.

Considering all the turmoil and restrictions going on, I am amazed we were able to accomplish all the above as quickly and smoothly as it happened. We made quite a few trips back and forth to the property (a 360 mile round trip) between January and May to handle arrangements, clear out junk to take to the dump, drop off items for donation, and pack everything that had to be moved back down here, so it feels good to get by this milestone.
Yesterday, I took a 120 mile round trip down to Metro Detroit and I must say the traffic was back to near normal levels. Also, plenty of road kill on I-75 with deer carcasses littering the interstate.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's starting to dawn on me that I'm going to be telecommuting for likely quite a while longer. Don't get me wrong, I fully realize how fortunate I am to still have a secure and stable job. But working at a major university, once we do open back up, unless COVID straight disappears or a vaccine is developed and quickly distributed to everyone, all schools that have high population densities will do a form of crowd-lessening. It's become clear over the past 10 weeks that my job can be safely done remotely, and I'm pretty efficient and effective in that mode. So when it comes time to deciding who to allot the lessened amount of staff space...I'll likely be asked to stay remote for a good portion of the time.

It's ironic, if you'd talked to me years ago, I would have loved the opportunity to telecommute. Be careful what you wish for...I miss human interaction.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yesterday, I took a 120 mile round trip down to Metro Detroit and I must say the traffic was back to near normal levels. Also, plenty of road kill on I-75 with deer carcasses littering the interstate.
We are heading up to Traverse City for an over night trip this week, so it will be interesting to see the contrast from the past several times we headed north. Around here, traffic is picking up some, but it is still not back to normal levels -- especially during the morning & evening commute times. There are still a lot of people working from home. With the restaurants opening back up to limited capacity next week, though, I expect evening traffic will increase some more.

Last edited:

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Here's my Dad with his 1946 John Deere farm tractor. He also had a restored 1975 John Deere lawn tractor that he used to mow the lawn and clear snow.

img7960-X4.jpg

FYI, both the photos were scans of old 35mm color negatives that I did as part of a recent project to digitize all my Dad's old family photos during this lock down. I created a thread in the Photography Forum here discussing the project.
That John Deere could be worth more than you think! It's a tractor that farmers today can still repair themselves! :D

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I am very close to the dreaded pony tail, which my wife hates. If I had my way, I probably would keep the longest hair and beard possible. This quarantine is a good excuse for me!

I'm definitely at the pony-tail stage. Which isn't a problem per se, either with me or my wife. But since I've switched to getting two haircuts a year instead of one, I didn't see the need to keep all my hair-ties, so I got rid of them. Since my wife keeps her hair short, I can't borrow any from her.

Of course, I just remembered that I've been using some as pocket notebook binders...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks