What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As does this...

Attachments

• Power of Social Distancing.JPG
    Power of Social Distancing.JPG
    791.2 KB · Views: 174

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Yes, the "we're all in this together" mantra is utter bullshit. People are justifiably afraid of being around others due to the pandemic; we actively avoid each other; etc.

The saying should be something like, "We're not in this together, but we may get through this by staying away from each other".

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, the "we're all in this together" mantra is utter bullshit. People are justifiably afraid of being around others due to the pandemic; we actively avoid each other; etc.

The saying should be something like, "We're not in this together, but we may get through this by staying away from each other".
Yes, but "We're all in this together!" is a much more hopeful and friendly slogan than the realistic "Stay the fu*king hell away from me, I don't know where you've been! UNCLEEEEEAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!".

sutherland.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Our local lumber store was doing that today, as well, when I returned the excess materials left over from our new deck.

...and speaking of masks, one of the employees at the Home Depot near our house had on an Ohio State mask. He was helping us get down a gas grill for my mom (it's her Mother's Day present from us). I was kidding with him, and he offered to get me one. I told him that wearing one of those would definitely make me sick. :laugh: The guy that helped us at the local lumber store had on a Michigan Wolverines mask. Now, that was a nice mask!
Scott you and I go back a ways...and yeah like you, if someone threw a USC mask at me in a room full of COVID people...okay I'd probably put it on...but I'd cry like Ace Ventura afterwards (when he found out Finkel was Einhorn).

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Yes, but "We're all in this together!" is a much more hopeful and friendly slogan than the realistic "Stay the fu*king hell away from me, I don't know where you've been! UNCLEEEEEAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!".

True, but I'm so sick of our "politically correct" society these days. I call it as I see it & fuck anyone who doesn't like it.

I did like the pic. in your above post. Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78 is one of my favorite horror flicks, and that iconic finale is one of my favorite endings in cinema. In fact, IMHO this re-make is superior to the original film - but that's another thread.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm feeling a bit lost today. It's not been a bad week by any measure, but I'm feeling it more than the past couple weeks. Part of it may be grasping that there's no plan for recovery. Just 50 states thrashing about, each trying their own thing. And the realization that by my state's plan we've got weeks or months to go before entering Phase 1 of recovery. Which is the right thing, but grasping that it's mid May and we're bottom of the nation in testing per capita and my existential dread deepens. Or maybe that my employer, a national company, is following CDC guidance for essential corporate decisions: except the CDC's plan was rejected and goes unpublished. So I don't know how we'll react to the lack of guidance as we try to open up in the coming weeks.

It's Friday. I've managed to get to 3pm by frittering away the morning and afternoon with this, that and nothing or everthing. Part of me wants the day back. Part of me is glad it's getting closer to the next day.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm feeling a bit lost today. It's not been a bad week by any measure, but I'm feeling it more than the past couple weeks. Part of it may be grasping that there's no plan for recovery. Just 50 states thrashing about, each trying their own thing. And the realization that by my state's plan we've got weeks or months to go before entering Phase 1 of recovery. Which is the right thing, but grasping that it's mid May and we're bottom of the nation in testing per capita and my existential dread deepens. Or maybe that my employer, a national company, is following CDC guidance for essential corporate decisions: except the CDC's plan was rejected and goes unpublished. So I don't know how we'll react to the lack of guidance as we try to open up in the coming weeks.

It's Friday. I've managed to get to 3pm by frittering away the morning and afternoon with this, that and nothing or everything. Part of me wants the day back. Part of me is glad it's getting closer to the next day.

Yea, I know these are unprecedented times for pretty much everyone here but I still feel the basics apply. For me that includes making sure I am doing my part, limiting my exposure to negativity on all fronts [which includes media consumption] and doing my best not to worry about the rest since it is beyond my direct control. For things that fall in that category, I personally resort to prayer.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

It's Friday. I've managed to get to 3pm by frittering away the morning and afternoon with this, that and nothing or everthing. Part of me wants the day back. Part of me is glad it's getting closer to the next day.
Dave,

I can relate to how your feeling. As to the 50 states going about the recovery differently I think it almost has to be this way. This stupid virus is such a chameleon there doesn’t seem to be a one size fits all.
Hang in there man.
Chris

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I can relate to how your feeling. As to the 50 states going about the recovery differently I think it almost has to be this way. This stupid virus is such a chameleon there doesn’t seem to be a one size fits all.
Hang in there man.
Chris

I could not disagree more strongly. If there was a competent response to the pandemic at the federal level, uniform guidelines would have been implemented, and the chaotic reaction to the virus we are seeing would have been lessened with the effect that the more 'reckless' actions associated with reopening in some locales would have been curtailed; resulting in lower infection rates and subsequent fatalities.

- Walter.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I could not disagree more strongly. If there was a competent response to the pandemic at the federal level, uniform guidelines would have been implemented, and the chaotic reaction to the virus we are seeing would have been lessened with the effect that the more 'reckless' actions associated with reopening in some locales would have been curtailed; resulting in lower infection rates and subsequent fatalities.

- Walter.
Your position is the same guidelines that one would use for NY or NJ would apply to North Dakota or Hawaii? Let’s agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Your position is the same guidelines that one would use for NY or NJ would apply to North Dakota or Hawaii? Let’s agree to disagree.

To anthropomorphize the COVID-19 virus just a bit, it doesn't care what the living conditions are where you live. Even in states that differ vastly, wherever there are dense population settings, even on a small scale, guidelines involving social distancing, testing, and contact tracing should apply. Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota are not NY or NJ and they are experiencing major problems in prisons and meat packing industries to name just two areas where folks reside/work in close proximity. Agree to disagree.

- Walter.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Screw anyone who gets after me for wearing a mask. That happened to me recently, and I told the couple to #%$% themselves & then gave them the finger. I wanted to start something with them, but they just walked away muttering - ha ha.

There are stores in my area that explicitly have signs in the front that state, "No mask, no service". So, obviously it's a requirement in many places.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I spent the last 10 days landscaping the lower tier of our 4' x 40' railroad tie planter. All plants are on a drip system and the bubbling rock fountain is controlled by Siri. This project was a welcome month health diversion during this time of Covid-19.

Click images for larger versions.

I'm grilling some chicken tonight. I plan to enjoy a few martinis on the patio while the chicken is cooking. :)

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm grilling some chicken tonight. I plan to enjoy a few martinis on the patio while the chicken is cooking. :)

Mark

Looks great, Mark. I grilled chicken tonight out on our new deck, too, after I waxed my wife's car. We didn't have martini's, though... just some nice Michigan craft beers (Founders All Day IPA for me, and Bell's Oberon for my wife). :cheers:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are stores in my area that explicitly have signs in the front that state, "No mask, no service". So, obviously it's a requirement in many places.
But without a government-level mandate, it falls to the stores to enforce. They either have to put their employees in potential confrontations with customers, or go to the expense of hiring private security people.

The bigger stores around here all have constant announcements over the PA about masks being "required" but no one is really enforcing it. People either have no masks, or they have them hanging around their neck rather than over their face. The governor has refused to issue any orders related to mandatory masks for customers, but retail employees will be required to wear masks as things reopen.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

And that is exactly what I've been saying for a while. These people that are going ballistic at being told they can't enter a store if they don't have a mask never seemed to have an issue with stores that had signs that said "no shirt, no shoes, no service". And those have been a thing for decades.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So...as I've said above, I'm in New Hampshire, and all things considered, we're doing well. My wife and live in a nice suburban-type part of a small-ish city that happens to be the state capital. We bought our house here a year and change ago. We've adapted to our state's stay-at-home orders. I'm retired, so things are pretty much the same from day to day as they were in the Before Times. My wife has a job with the state's university system, and works from home.

Both of us tend to be introverts, so the isolation doesn't tend to bother us much. We are concerned, however, for my wife's parents, both of whom are in their 80s and have medical issues that make them especially vulnerable to Covid. The thing my wife wants most of all is to drive down to her folks place and give them a big hug, but she can't. It seems all the more frustrating because most of her family lives within a half-hour of us. And we're also concerned about her brother, who is a deputy fire chief, and thus in the trenches.

One of the pluses of having a new(-ish) home is that we still have a large number of boxes of stuff from our move to unpack, though we're not actually doing much unpacking. Some...a little bit at a time...but we still have a lot to go. We just bought several storage racks that I need to get put together and set up in our basement to put a lot of these boxes onto.

But we also have a yard to convert. We took down a large tree that was getting close to coming down on its own, and pulling out some invasive species of plants. And we're putting up a cinder-block raised vegetable bed to grow our own veggies...which will especially come in hand if this Covid thing keeps on keeping on, and the food supply chain declines further.

I don't seem to be watching as many movies or TV shows that I would expect to, or read as many books or comics as I would expect to, but there's no hurry on that. They're not going anywhere.

I don't want to suggest that we're living the dream, though. We have concerns, aside from my wife's family. Since she works for the university system, her livelihood depends on that continuing to get funded by the state. And like a lot of people, we're worried what the future holds re: Covid. Will the country (and the world) get back to even some semblance of "normal"? Will we manage to "beat" this thing? Will it just transform into an annual issue where we have to keep coming up with a new vaccine every time it mutates?

My stock answer these days to "How're you doin'?" is "So far, so good." Take each day as it comes.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am, if anything very pro American, I am just reporting what is going on here in Canada, not criticizing. I will probably be one of the first in line to go across the border when it finally opens for day trips.

The attitude of most people here however, including most government officials is “With the incredible mess that is happening south of the border and the wrong headed approach to Covid19, we are going to keep the border closed as long as possible”.

This is from a country that includes Montreal, which is probably second only to New York City I’m the amount of Covid deaths.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks