What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (2 Viewers)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
An hours walk with my son round the lake in our local park in the morning. After lunch a film, and then a film in the evening, yesterday was The Fly (1958) and Space Cowboys. A couple of times a week my wife and i walk to our local store after she has finished work. Today its Tombstone and The Sum of all Fears. Strange and difficult times!

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I have to say that reading on here how everyone is coping has helped. I went shopping before lunch yesterday and it was busier than going after lunch the previous week. I had to queue outside the store as they were only letting a certain number of people inside at any given time which is obviously sensible. Food wise they still don't have pasta or rice and are very limited on eggs and frozen meat, but they finally have toilet paper so that should lift the mood of the nation!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dr Fauci says world will never get 'back to normal' after coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-never-normal-coronavirus-threat-remain.html
That's a helluva headline that is designed to get clicks (and it worked on me) but Facui's quotes in the article nearly contradict it.
'If "back to normal" means acting like there never was a coronavirus problem, I don't think that's going to happen until we do have a situation where you can completely protect the population [with a vaccine],' Fauci said before clarifying his previous use of the phrase...

But on Monday he expressed optimism about the future, given the number of promising therapies and potential vaccines currently in the pipeline.

He said that in light of the scientific progress, he feels 'confident that we will never have to get back to where we are right now'.

'If that means getting back to normal, then we will get back to normal,' he added.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know one thing, my personal behavior when it comes to protecting myself will never be the same or as they say normal like it was beforehand. Furthermore, I think many other people will do the same.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know one thing, my personal behavior when it comes to protecting myself will never be the same or as they say normal like it was beforehand. Furthermore, I think many other people will do the same.
I think the only long lasting change will be that people in the U.S. will wear masks more in the flu months. A week ago, I wouldn't have even thought that relatively minor thing was possible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I think the only long lasting change will be that people in the U.S. will wear masks more in the flu months. A week ago, I wouldn't have even thought that relatively minor thing was possible.

Or at least use a scarf, when one didn't previously.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree with you. I think many people will be washing their hands quite a bit more than they used to going forward. I think people that has the means and the shelf space, will have more supplies of certain items in their homes. I think many people will forego movie theaters in the future. Just to name a few things.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with you. I think many people will be washing their hands quite a bit more than they used to going forward. I think people that has the means and the shelf space, will have more supplies of certain items in their homes. I think many people will forego movie theaters in the future. Just to name a few things.
Maybe you're right but I've heard "Nothing will ever be the same" and seen everything go right back to the way it was too many times to take it seriously any more. I think it's just human nature that once life gets back to normal, people will go back to their old routines. That being said, forewarned is forearmed so it certainly would be good for people to be more prepared.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, but what's normal 5-10 years ago (let alone 20) for me isn't and can't be normal for me 1/2 year ago before this crisis either.

We can't actually expect everything to stay exactly the same w/ or w/out this exact crisis.

What matters more is exactly how different are we really talking... and whether it's really so different than other changes we find a need to make as part of life today.

It's not like deadly pathogens and diseases never ever bothered humans at a fairly large scale before. Just that we got used to not dealing w/ something quite like this w/out the help of vaccines... which is why Dr Fauci is optimistic by the end of that article.

Sure, we probably need to learn and not take things for granted too much as we did before, but hey, most of us probably had to learn something like that at least once or twice before this too, if we've been around the block a couple times and isn't so young anymore...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe you're right but I've heard "Nothing will ever be the same" and seen everything go right back to the way it was too many times to take it seriously any more. I think it's just human nature that once life gets back to normal, people will go back to their old routines. That being said, forewarned is forearmed so it certainly would be good for people to be more prepared.
The country hasn't gone through anything like this for over 100 years. When that 1918 flu epidemic hit, people did change their behaviors as well as the medical profession procedural-wise. When this final chapter is written for this pandemic outbreak then we will have a better understanding as to how much society will change going forward. Right now, we're only speculating on what may happen in the future.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It is impossible to revert to pre Covid normalcy due to the simple fact that Covid-19 now exists.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
With all due respect my friend, I’ve gotta say Travis, with everything that has and is happening, I’m shocked you, or anyone for that matter, still feel this way.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
"Normalcy" is pretty relative though...

For someone who's OCD or hypochondriac or the like, any little thing can easily be a big deal.

As long as it's not a particularly drastic change, especially if most everyone's doing it too, then life will be (or feel) normal enough IMHO.

Developing a nasty allergy or becoming at risk of cardio "diseases" (as fairly "normally" happens just from living a typically American way) amongst other things probably require more drastic changes that may take more getting used to than this IMHO, especially if a vaccine becomes available (on top of other fairly effective treatments).

Yeah, this is life threatening enough to hit home and drive some fear into us... but it's not likely this is the first or last amongst many things. We're human... and fragile enough... yet also can have the spirit and drive (and intelligence and resourcefulness) to overcome so many things (and then feel "normal" again), if we have the necessary faith and hope of course...

Shalom...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Normalcy" is pretty relative though...

For someone who's OCD or hypochondriac or the like, any little thing can easily be a big deal.

As long as it's not a particularly drastic change, especially if most everyone's doing it too, then life will be (or feel) normal enough IMHO.

Developing a nasty allergy or becoming at risk of cardio "diseases" (as fairly "normally" happens just from living a typically American way) amongst other things probably require more drastic changes that may take more getting used to than this IMHO, especially if a vaccine becomes available (on top of other fairly effective treatments).

Yeah, this is life threatening enough to hit home and drive some fear into us... but it's not likely this is the first or last amongst many things. We're human... and fragile enough... yet also can have the spirit and drive (and intelligence and resourcefulness) to overcome so many things (and then feel "normal" again), if we have the necessary faith and hope of course...

Shalom...

_Man_
As I stated, we're in the infancy of this pandemic crisis so there is much more to be known before society behavioral changes are finalized.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, not being able to buy and own (or playback) movies and music on highest quality, affordable, attractive physical media and be forced to rely solely on streaming in the not-too-distant future may well become more disruptive for many of us once an effective vaccine becomes available... :eek: or maybe not for all we know (especially since our aging usually has something to say about that)... :P;)

Peace...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
With all due respect my friend, I’ve gotta say Travis, with everything that has and is happening, I’m shocked you, or anyone for that matter, still feel this way.
What do you think is going to change?

There was a nice day in New York City this weekend and a good amount of people said "Fuck it, it's nice out. I'm going to Union Square." This isn't 6 months or a year later, this is right in the middle of the worst catastrophe in the city's history with bodies in makeshift morgues and when these people could literally catch a fatal disease and they still ignore warnings & go outside so I don't see people being too scared to go to a concert or a sporting event or a movie in the near future. And of course the people that went out in NYC only represent a small minority of people but if it's happening now, I don't see the majority of people who are currently being cautious greatly altering their lives after it ends.

For what it's worth, I'm not 'rooting' for people to learn nothing from this. I'm just saying that I think that's the likeliest outcome for most people.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
People are used to making compromises more so than they often realize me thinks.

They'll find a way that works well enough for them, and then, things will feel normal and acceptable enough again.

Such compromises include taking somewhat calculated risks w/ one's own life, etc.

Nobody lives forever (and w/ the same capacity and vitality) in this world afterall... You gotta live a little and not constantly worry about death waiting around the corner...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks