What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (3 Viewers)

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I retired last year and one of the things I’ve wanted to do was upgrade my home theater equipment. I’d been researching my upgrades since last August and I placed my orders in January just before things went south. I’ve had contractors in and out of my house installing things.

First round was a large crew for pre-wiring at the end of February, setting up for Atmos speakers in my living room and family room. This entailed running new electrical circuits, poking lots of holes in the walls to run cabling and then dry wall repair and repainting.

Round 2 was the A/V installer two weeks later installing my equipment upgrades in the living room - new pre/pro, new amps and new speakers.

Round 3 was this past week, putting a retractable 100” ALR screen and a new UST projector in my family room. The old sound system from my living room moved over to the family room to support that setup.

One more day left next week to finish setting up the surround speakers in the family room, the subwoofers in both rooms and do the finishing sound tuneup to the rooms, plus some cable management/cleanup in the family room. It’s been a little nerve wracking having the contractor in the house, but honestly this has been the only thing exciting to look forward to since this whole crap started. And it’s shaping up really well.

Final thing will be in mid-May when a pair of home theater seats arrive (if they can hold their schedule with the pandemic pressures) for the family room. They will be nice leather recliners with sound shakers built-in.

My dream room has always been the library room from Beauty and the Beast but with home theater equipment built in. I think these two rooms are as close as I’ll get.

Living Room:
01eed773b418adff25e2a37f657d6f90a190f406be.jpg
Family Room:
015ba6b267ad4994a344ea1252df923bb5f08f9a15.jpg
012054915bfa951cfa6ac145840162cee55edc1c21.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Today, I decided to have some take out food from my favorite restaurant. The only problem is that restaurant is a 120 mile round trip from my house. What the hell, I decided to take a road trip as I needed to get out of the house and neighborhood for a couple of hours and gas is less than $1.50 a gallon.:) Man, the interstate traffic was like Christmas Day. I didn't have to change lanes to pass anyone for my entire 60 mile trip to Detroit. It was the most pleasant and stress free round trip to Detroit that I ever experienced. My return trip back home was the same. Man, after microwaving my takeout dinner, it tasted really good and left me in a good mood. Taking that little trip reminded me when my parents would load up the kids for a Sunday afternoon drive in the summertime with no particular place to go except to get us out of the house for a while. Yup, I have some pleasant memories of that old station wagon my old man had back in the late 1960s. Anyhow, I had a good day!.:D
I hadn't thought about that. Where I live the population isn't that large, except it's jammed into a 5-10 mile wide strip along the Northern Colorado "Front Range" I-25 corridor. I-25 is normally jam packed 24/7. Maybe I'll go for a drive. Ironically, the Rocky Mountains, which are only a few miles away, are abnormally packed with people. The State has had to shut down a lot of places, since there are far too many humans visiting them and not observing distancing. Rocky Mountain National Park, which is about 50 miles away, is closed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
John,

Being the very responsible and sensible person most/all of us have probably come to know you here, I say go fer it w/ those upgrades... not that you need any of our approval of course.

We can't take any of this stuff w/ us when we pass some day afterall...

And I imagine the economy could probably use some of that spending too... and I may join you in some ways myself, especially since I'm getting refunded for various cancelations due to this pandemic...

Cheers!

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Today, I decided to have some take out food from my favorite restaurant. The only problem is that restaurant is a 120 mile round trip from my house. What the hell, I decided to take a road trip as I needed to get out of the house and neighborhood for a couple of hours and gas is less than $1.50 a gallon.:) Man, the interstate traffic was like Christmas Day. I didn't have to change lanes to pass anyone for my entire 60 mile trip to Detroit. It was the most pleasant and stress free round trip to Detroit that I ever experienced. My return trip back home was the same. Man, after microwaving my takeout dinner, it tasted really good and left me in a good mood. Taking that little trip reminded me when my parents would load up the kids for a Sunday afternoon drive in the summertime with no particular place to go except to get us out of the house for a while. Yup, I have some pleasant memories of that old station wagon my old man had back in the late 1960s. Anyhow, I had a good day!.:D

I too remember the days when driving used to be fun and people would do it just for the sake of doing it. We all understand that we are in a truly tragic situation right now but the one bright spot for me has been the near disappearance of traffic congestion.

Curious to know what restaurant or food type mustered up that kind of desire. :emoji_hamburger:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My dream room has always been the library room from Beauty and the Beast but with home theater equipment built in. I think these two rooms are as close as I’ll get.

Nice!!! Sort of reminds me of Henry Higgins library in My Fair Lady.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
The Premier of Western Australia, Mark McGowan, answering questions on the all-important issue of spot-fines for the consumption of mid-run kebabs:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
@TonyD

I don’t really know what to say except that I hear you and understand where you’re coming from. Please know that even though we’re all isolated in different places, we’re not alone. Come on here as often as you need, blow off some steam, let your worries out, do whatever you have to do to take care of you and get through. We all have to be there for each other and that includes people we only know from online. You’re in my thoughts.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@TonyD

I don’t really know what to say except that I hear you and understand where you’re coming from. Please know that even though we’re all isolated in different places, we’re not alone. Come on here as often as you need, blow off some steam, let your worries out, do whatever you have to do to take care of you and get through. We all have to be there for each other and that includes people we only know from online. You’re in my thoughts.

Wonder if we should attempt some periodic HTF community Zoom sessions or the like.

Not sure if we can arrange some screenings of some faves that way... but surely, we could do better than what was attempted during the earlier days of BD-Live if everyone recalls.

If we need a little funding for that (like a dedicated Zoom account), I'd certainly be up for contributing to such...

_Man_

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Yeah, that's what doesn't have me thrilled right now... I'm actually going out more now than I was before this all started because it's impossible to get more than a couple days' worth of groceries now where before, I could buy enough to last me a week and it would be fine. But between shortages and limits, I've got to put my ass in the line of fire on a more regular basis.
I have managed to get a weeks worth, which is my normal shopping frequency, each time but it has meant going to more than one supermarket. There have also been items I couldn't get, but which we have managed to get by. The supermarkets do home delivery, but they just don't have any slots available. If everyone hadn't panicked things would be a lot easier.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I had a dream last night where I could see the coronavirus. In the typical way of dreams, this did not make me feel better but rather massively more anxious.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Today, I decided to have some take out food from my favorite restaurant. The only problem is that restaurant is a 120 mile round trip from my house. What the hell, I decided to take a road trip as I needed to get out of the house and neighborhood for a couple of hours and gas is less than $1.50 a gallon.:) Man, the interstate traffic was like Christmas Day. I didn't have to change lanes to pass anyone for my entire 60 mile trip to Detroit. It was the most pleasant and stress free round trip to Detroit that I ever experienced. My return trip back home was the same. Man, after microwaving my takeout dinner, it tasted really good and left me in such a good mood. Taking that little trip reminded me when my parents would load up the kids for a Sunday afternoon drive in the summertime with no particular place to go except to get us out of the house for a while. Yup, I have some pleasant memories of that old station wagon my old man had back in the late 1960s. Anyhow, I had a good day!.:D

I experienced similar traffic levels when I went to my parent's house in the northern Lower Peninsula a week ago. It was the least amount of traffic I have ever experienced heading up I-75 during the daytime in the 30+ years they've owned a house up there.

We've been getting take out from our favorite local restaurants to try and support them. The place we went to yesterday said their take out business has been brisk, so they are weathering this as well as could be hoped. I think tomorrow we are going to pick up a couple of howlers from our favorite local microbrewery to give them some support.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I experienced similar traffic levels when I went to my parent's house in the northern Lower Peninsula a week ago. It was the least amount of traffic I have ever experienced heading up I-75 during the daytime in the 30+ years they've owned a house up there.

We've been getting take out from our favorite local restaurants to try and support them. The place we went to yesterday said their take out business has been brisk, so they are weathering this as well as could be hoped. I think tomorrow we are going to pick up a couple of howlers from our favorite local microbrewery to give them some support.
Of course, I was talking about I-75. Driving on it yesterday was like taking a drive out in the country on a 3-4 lanes roadway.:)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Thank goodness for Google Home minis. I had no idea what you were talking about. Mind you I had to narrow my search. The first time I asked it had you buying a couple of monkeys!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
BTW, the main project I have undertaken during this lockdown is scanning and digitizing my father's 35mm slides that I came across while packing up stuff in their basement. I started a thread in the Photography section of HTF, if anyone is interested. So far, since my new Epson scanner arrived on Wednesday, I have scanned and processed over 550 slides, and I am probably only about 10% through the boxes. After that, there are also some photo prints that need digitized, too -- plus, I came across my old 35mm prints and negatives while cleaning out my home office.

I will probably be doing this for many months.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cut my own hair this morning- I bought one of those men’s grooming kits with a bunch of different attachments, then gave it a go. Good thing is my hair is easy- sheared like a pet. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself! :P
Will you cut mine? I'm getting a little shaggy. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks