What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Carlo- thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comments.

I am glad that for the most part, it’s OK to be wearing a mask. And I have not encountered any disdain.

Unfortunately, as you said, it seems not everyone is convinced about vaccines. I remember one Los Angleles based YouTuber at the start of the pandemic who said he wasn’t going to stop going to car events to shoot videos and that he trusted his immune system to handle the virus. Amazing that guy was never infected, unless he did get vaccinated and didn’t tell.

And speaking of YouTubers and actually just about everyone else, world leaders and CEOs, it seems a lot of people are traveling and going about their lives and doing their jobs and not getting Covid. And I keep thinking that if one practices all the safely procedures, wear a mask, wash hands and keep distance, one can move on with life. Its easy to think about this intellectually, but one’s concerns are a strong factor too.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
For what it's worth, my wife and I wear masks when we go out shopping, and no one gave us any crap about it, or even a look of disdain (that I could notice). Same with our over-6-hour non-stop flight from Boston to San Francisco. We only took them off when drinking/snacking. Most of the people in the plane didn't wear masks, but there were between a half-dozen and a dozen others that I saw wearing them as they were boarding.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was jabbed once. I still got it anyway. I will never get jabbed again nor will I EVER wear a mask again. That is my choice and it was thought out intellectually.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was jabbed once. I still got it anyway. I will never get jabbed again nor will I EVER wear a mask again. That is my choice and it was thought out intellectually.
So the vaccine was never advertised as immunity. It was advertised that for most healthy people it helped prevent the worst outcomes (ventilator/life support). And all the evidence of millions (billions?) of doses country-wide and world-wide have borne that out. In fact the medical community has said that the mRNA vaccines have wildly exceeded their optimistic expectations.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So the vaccine was never advertised as immunity. It was advertised that for most healthy people it helped prevent the worst outcomes (ventilator/life support). And all the evidence of millions (billions?) of doses country-wide and world-wide have borne that out. In fact the medical community has said that the mRNA vaccines have wildly exceeded their optimistic expectations.

That is not how it was advertised by many institutions and agencies under the threat of loss of job and livelihood, even when for a lot of people there were legitimate medical or religious reasons for not getting jabbed (I can remember people in this forum saying that those who didn't get jabbed should have their basic medical benefits and Medicare cut off) Right now we have people who lost their jobs and livelihoods because they refused or who are suffering side-effects from being forced to jab who are entitled to compensation as far as I'm concerned.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys, sorry if my post had caused some undesirable replies. It was not my intent. I was expressing some frustration to be potentially exposed to Covid. I’m still fighting to avoid it at nearly all costs. So I guess you can say I’m not dealing with Covid well after all this time. But I’m still working through how to deal with it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I am now negative for Covid. Mild cough and runny nose persist, but otherwise recovered. But I tested two days in a row to be sure and it came back negative both times.

So I'll be going out tonight for the first time since February 19 for a local production of The Sound of Music. I would not have gone without the two negative tests, but now I feel like I can do this without threatening anyone else's safety. And of course I will still wear a mask during the performance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I never tested to see if I was negative for covid after being sick. I used the CDC guidance (and that work follows) of no fever for 24 hours, and only mild and improving symptoms. That was a Friday so by Monday, I was definitely on the upswing (and 7+ days from being sick to start). Then, masking for five days following.

This is where external factors come into play: I was burning vacation time staying home. And no one was staying out of the office more than the necessary five days.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I never tested to see if I was negative for covid after being sick.

The reason that I wanted to test is because my outing tonight was for a play where I would by design be seated in close proximity to other people in a small enclosed space. I would not have felt that it was morally correct for me to do that without being sure I was negative first.

Of course, everybody has to do what makes sense for them and their particular situation. A work setting would be different than going to a show, especially if you wouldn't necessarily have to sit in close proximity to other people for several hours.

I was expressing some frustration to be potentially exposed to Covid. I’m still fighting to avoid it at nearly all costs.

Due to various factors, I am high risk. I was lucky to avoid Covid for nearly three years. I have worn a mask every place I've been outside my house for all of that time except in a treatment room in my dentist's office. I'm vaccinated and boosted. My exposure last month ultimately came as the direct result of a family function which I didn't even go to myself. But it was still brought back to me. I was careful and so was my family who went to the event. But it still managed to get us.

My experience with this has taught me that you can only do so much. The best thing is to be as careful as you see fit and be as prepared as you can if it does find you. I know from personal experience that this is frustrating, but other factors (such as people close to you who may or may not agree with you about vaccines) are just not in your individual control. Good luck.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I got back from our trip west. We wore masks in crowds (in the airport, on the plane, in the shuttle buses, etc.), but otherwise not. I had some sniffles and a slight cough later in the trip, most likely a cold due to temperature fluctuations, and only having brought clothing for a warmer (and dryer) weather than what we got.

None of my wife's colleagues reported any Covid issues after the business part of the trip was over, so we figured we were probably clear, but we're planning to visit her octagenarian parents tomorrow, so we tested ourselves just to be sure, and we both tested negative.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
As I posted over in the “What Annoys You?” thread yesterday, I’ve caught Covid for the second time. Triple vaxxed and boosted but it still got me again. I’m currently quarantined to my hotel room in Baton Rouge for the remainder of the week. So far, I’m very congested with occasional faucet like runny nose, and I can no longer smell anything (consequently, that also means I can’t really taste anything either.) I just microwaved a garlic crust pepperoni hot pocket for lunch and if I didn’t already know what it was, I couldn’t pick it out of a blind taste test. I’ve coughed so much that my back and ribs hurt. I’m currently running a low grade fever of 100.5°.

I very thankful of the vax and boosters because they do work and are keeping this from going downhill very quickly like what happened to so many people in 2020.

At least I get to stream some movies on my iPad this week. :thumbsup:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This just keeps getting better. D796DD5C-8072-4928-9737-06D72413A16D.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As I posted over in the “What Annoys You?” thread yesterday, I’ve caught Covid for the second time.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Sending best wishes towards a speedy recovery. I’m not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but please don’t hesitate to seek additional medical help if your symptoms worsen. Some of my colleagues have also had very positive results with Paxlovid to lessen symptoms and speed up the duration of the illness.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Due to various factors, I am high risk. I was lucky to avoid Covid for nearly three years. I have worn a mask every place I've been outside my house for all of that time except in a treatment room in my dentist's office. I'm vaccinated and boosted. My exposure last month ultimately came as the direct result of a family function which I didn't even go to myself. But it was still brought back to me. I was careful and so was my family who went to the event. But it still managed to get us.

My experience with this has taught me that you can only do so much. The best thing is to be as careful as you see fit and be as prepared as you can if it does find you. I know from personal experience that this is frustrating, but other factors (such as people close to you who may or may not agree with you about vaccines) are just not in your individual control. Good luck.
Jake-

Thanks for the thoughts in response to my post expressing frustration at being potentially exposed to Covid. I hear you, no matter how hard we try to prevent it, it can eventually get you. One little mistake could get you. But I'll keep trying to avoid it. Good luck to us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks