Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
We've been doing takeout 2-3x a week to help some places survive. I bring the food home and sanitize the containers before we nuke the actual portion we're eating. So far so good.
Earlier this week, they estimated 6,500 restaurants in Michigan will got out of business due to this pandemic.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I've been avoiding takeout/delivery for the same reasons. I've started to do online orders a couple times, but have not followed through.

The losses are going to be devastating. All the owners, hosts, servers, dishwashers, etc., all the companies that sold supplies to those restaurants, all the plumbers, electricians, contractors that maintained the properties.

I'd imagine even those that do survive, even when they are allowed to reopen, business will continue to be slow for quite a period of time.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Target stores are finally limiting the number of people into their stores. I think all retailers need to do the same based on my shopping experiences.
Walmart is joining Target in limiting the number of people into their stores at the same time.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Website
www.theteatable.com
Real Name
John
We've been doing takeout 2-3x a week to help some places survive. I bring the food home and sanitize the containers before we nuke the actual portion we're eating. So far so good.
Just an FYI, since I researched this for work. There are basically three levels of eliminating parasites. Sanitize, disinfect and sterilize. Sanitizing is sufficient for bacteria and food-borne contaminants, but it is NOT sufficient for viruses. Viruses require disinfecting. The method I decided on for work, is to spray on 70% isopropyl alcohol to completely wet the surface, then let it dry. Don't use higher concentrations, since they tend to dry too fast to accomplish the goal. It should take over 30 seconds to dry, or you didn't use enough. Don't get that into your food, but you can treat the container and it doesn't leave any toxic residue.

I just thought I'd toss that out, because I was originally using our Health Dept. required sanitizer of 50 PPM chlorine, which is a food-safe (not in your food of course, but safe to prepare food on once it's dried), no-rinse sanitizer. The only no-rinse disinfectant I was able to find is 70% isopropyl alcohol. the down side is, it smells up the place until it dries.

Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

TJPC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We really miss our take out/restaurant foods. We had reached a point in our lives where there was only the two of us, and we really did not have to cook if we didn’t want to.

The other night I had trouble sleeping, I thought of our favourite Buffett, and tried to remember the order of all the dishes, one by one down the tables! That was “scarcely a replacement” for being there!

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I forgot, we did get one delivery but haven’t eaten it yet. There is a small but wonderful restaurant that opened near us that specializes in soup dumplings, which isn’t something that really travels well. So, what they’ve done is set up a system where you order the day before and they make and freeze your order. The delivery comes with a basket for steaming dumplings, and instructions for how to heat them from their frozen state. We ordered enough to get at least two complete dinners out of it, so that’ll be nice to have whenever I need a night off from dinner duties.

One factor in not wanting to do frequent delivery is just cost. I did the math once and it’s about five times more per meal to order in than it is for me to cook. We’re still working on trying to figure out what the best balance is between not spending more than we should given the economic uncertainty ahead, but not wanting to get to a point where we’re losing our minds from limiting all nice things.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Clint
Walmart is joining Target in limiting the number of people into their stores at the same time.
I’ve been in Target twice since we hit pandemic level and it was a ghost town both times. Every time I’ve had to go to Walmart, on the other hand, has been a nerve-wracking experience of people who don’t care about social distancing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Tony D.
Just got back from the airport.
Dropped my wife off. She flew back up to Minneapolis where she is currently working.

She’s a traveling PICU nurse.
Been doing that for the last 2 years, was just home for two weeks.
Longest she’s been home in those 2 years.

This time was the hardest one.

I don’t know how those of you who are home by yourself handle this but I’m not doing it very well.

My fear is that one of us gets sick and ends up in the hospital.
Full disclosure I’m very nervous about this right now.
If I get sick she has to come back here and leave her job.
She gets sick I have 5 dogs and birds here that no one can come look after.
I’m freaking out a little bit.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
We'll see ya later, fellas 5/30/20
Just got back from the airport.
Dropped my wife off. She flew back up to Minneapolis where she is currently working.

She’s a traveling PICU nurse.
Been doing that for the last 2 years, was just home for two weeks.
Longest she’s been home in those 2 years.
I don't think I can say anything to make you less nervous, but I live in Minneapolis and I can at least say that I appreciate the sacrifices both you and your wife are making for my neighbors!

DaveF

Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
I'm changing my thinking. I've been holding off on a couple HT upgrades. A new TV, and a new amp to replace one that's failing. Now I think, what the hell am I waiting for? When will my well being benefit from them more than now?
I’m mulling on this a lot. I bought the Lutron Caséta starter kit. It’s something neat to work on next week. And $100 splurge doesn’t put me in financial risk.

But the new iPad Pro I wanted? I’m not currently comfortable spending a chunk of a month’s household “burn rate” for a $1000 toy.

And the new TV and new projector I planned to buy this year? They’re not released and who knows if or when they will be due to the pandemic.

And I fully grasp this is the economic problem. It’s a vicious cycle of people being too afraid or conservative to spend.

I’m happy for you if you’re comfortable buying some planned upgrades and enjoying in this terrible moment. I’m not there yet myself. But I’d like to be sooner than later.

John Dirk

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
JOHN
I'm changing my thinking. I've been holding off on a couple HT upgrades. A new TV, and a new amp to replace one that's failing. Now I think, what the hell am I waiting for? When will my well being benefit from them more than now?
Same here. We've bought a laptop, a Samsung tab and are about to spend a huge chunk on an oven and microwave. The latter is a necessity as our current main unit decided to go out a few weeks ago but the others were just deals we considered too good to pass on, despite the current state of things.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Website
www.theteatable.com
Real Name
John
I’m mulling on this a lot. I bought the Lutron Caséta starter kit. It’s something neat to work on next week. And $100 splurge doesn’t put me in financial risk.

But the new iPad Pro I wanted? I’m not currently comfortable spending a chunk of a month’s household “burn rate” for a $1000 toy.

And the new TV and new projector I planned to buy this year? They’re not released and who knows if or when they will be due to the pandemic.

And I fully grasp this is the economic problem. It’s a vicious cycle of people being too afraid or conservative to spend.

I’m happy for you if you’re comfortable buying some planned upgrades and enjoying in this terrible moment. I’m not there yet myself. But I’d like to be sooner than later.
Same here. We've bought a laptop, a Samsung tab and are about to spend a huge chunk on an oven and microwave. The latter is a necessity as our current main unit decided to go out a few weeks ago but the others were just deals we considered too good to pass on, despite the current state of things.
Forgive me, and don't resent me, but currently I'm one of the fortunate ones. My business is (blind stinking luck for once in my life) ideally suited to weather the current situation. I still have to isolate, including taking several additional steps to keep the business safe, but unless I get sick or transit is shut down, business is fine.

The fact is, my life has been such that I was already mostly isolated from the three dimensional world, as I call it. Now I just have a reason beyond my own misanthropy, though it's still been ramped up. It's just far less of a change for me than most others. I have a dedicated HT downstairs, but haven't even turned it on in as much as a month. I've been watching stuff in the living room, since it has the HDR capable QLED, and the image is so much better than the old plasma in the HT. Well, I watched a movie down in the HT today and realized it's the first time I've mentally gotten away from all this crap in a month. Something about physically removing myself to the basement. When I saw the 65" Vizio P Series I'd decided on for the HT was $200 off, I started asking myself why I was waiting? So, it's done and BB will drop it off Wednesday. The new amp will be a chunk, and I was hoping to wait until my car payments end this summer. I understand I have a little bonus coming courtesy of the US government, which should cover 3/4 of the (admittedly not cheap) amp I had pretty much decided on. So, there it is.

Reactions: DaveF

Nigel P

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Nigel
How am I coping, mostly by trying not to think about the situation more than necessary. My dad hasn't been in the best of health for a while, like Adam's dad he has COPD. He also fell over last year and broke his hip which has badly affected his mobility and he was already feeling a bit useless which has been compounded by not being able to go out now. My mum has Parkinsons and high blood pressure so my biggest fear is either of them getting the virus. I am doing the shopping for them to get the essentials and their medication. I am isolating myself other than that, if I get infected and pass it on to them then I know I will find that hard to live with, but there is not much else I can do. People went absolutely crazy panic buying, the toilet paper thing is bizarre to me, but also other essential items were hard or impossible to get. I would like to only shop once every 2 weeks, but that isn't possible yet although things seemed to be getting a bit better this week. In terms of my daily life things haven't been greatly affected. Living in a remote area the only noticeable thing is less cars going past.

I actually purchased an OLED TV and UHD blu-ray player at the end of February, which ended up being one of my better decisions and fortunate timing. It has brought me a lot of pleasure already. I have since been looking into upgrading my speakers and AV receiver. I would like to have an improved 5.1 setup initially, but with the ability to then go Atmos at a later date. Don't know when I might pull the trigger, but reading up on it has helped to keep my mind occupied.

Hope everyone here and their loved ones can stay safe.

JohnRice

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Website
www.theteatable.com
Real Name
John
I have since been looking into upgrading my speakers and AV receiver. I would like to have an improved 5.1 setup initially, but with the ability to then go Atmos at a later date. Don't know when I might pull the trigger, but reading up on it has helped to keep my mind occupied.
Last summer I upgraded the receiver in my living room system to one with Atmos. Even though the system is currently only 5.1 and it shouldn't make any difference, I feel like Atmos soundtracks actually produce more immersive sound. It was also stepping up from a 12 year old Marantz 5xxx series to a 1 year old 7xxx series, so that might be part of it.

Reactions: Nigel P

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
People went absolutely crazy panic buying, the toilet paper thing is bizarre to me, but also other essential items were hard or impossible to get. I would like to only shop once every 2 weeks, but that isn't possible yet although things seemed to be getting a bit better this week. In terms of my daily life things haven't been greatly affected. Living in a remote area the only noticeable thing is less cars going past.
Yeah, that's what doesn't have me thrilled right now... I'm actually going out more now than I was before this all started because it's impossible to get more than a couple days' worth of groceries now where before, I could buy enough to last me a week and it would be fine. But between shortages and limits, I've got to put my ass in the line of fire on a more regular basis.

Reactions: Nigel P

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Today, I decided to have some take out food from my favorite restaurant. The only problem is that restaurant is a 120 mile round trip from my house. What the hell, I decided to take a road trip as I needed to get out of the house and neighborhood for a couple of hours and gas is less than $1.50 a gallon.:) Man, the interstate traffic was like Christmas Day. I didn't have to change lanes to pass anyone for my entire 60 mile trip to Detroit. It was the most pleasant and stress free round trip to Detroit that I ever experienced. My return trip back home was the same. Man, after microwaving my takeout dinner, it tasted really good and left me in such a good mood. Taking that little trip reminded me when my parents would load up the kids for a Sunday afternoon drive in the summertime with no particular place to go except to get us out of the house for a while. Yup, I have some pleasant memories of that old station wagon my old man had back in the late 1960s. Anyhow, I had a good day!.:D

ManW_TheUncool

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
ManW
Nigel, I feel yah... my wife went through somewhat similar w/ her parents several years back before they both passed away in the same year. She had us (and a little support from church, couple other friends, etc) of course, so wasn't doing it all alone... and there was no pandemic here to heighten fears/concerns either, but it was hard for my wife nonetheless -- and got pretty hard for our teenaged kids as well.

Hope and pray you (and your parents) can find some help/support in all this however that might come... even if it's just spending some time here on HTF or still finding some moments to enjoy this hobby, etc.

Peace...

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cnjp