What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Feel better, Tony!

(If it helps your spirit any, please know that everyone I know who did Paxlovid was better in 5-6 days and everyone who didn’t had double the recovery time - so you’re on the path to being better sooner!)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear that, Tony, best wishes for a speedy recovery! It's crazy how the triplandemic has hit us this holiday season. I know way more people who are sick right now that during even the height of the pandemic. But most of them have a cold or flu, because we're all still testing regularly and most of the people I know are down with something that isn't COVID.

I'm glad that my pharmacy had the quadrivalent flu shot at the same time it had the updated booster, especially since the flu vaccine is apparently a good match for what's currently circulating.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Feel better, Tony!

(If it helps your spirit any, please know that everyone I know who did Paxlovid was better in 5-6 days and everyone who didn’t had double the recovery time - so you’re on the path to being better sooner!)
Thank you, Josh! :)

I was told by the RN who did my blood work for kidney and liver function that the caveat is in 20% of cases, even worse COVID symptoms come back within 5-6 days after, and they cannot prescribe more paxlovid, in that event.

Of course, I hedged my bets on the 80% in favor! Wish me luck!! I found swallowing all 3 evening tablets surprisingly painless.

Happy Christmas to you and your lovely family, my friend!! :)

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry to hear that, Tony, best wishes for a speedy recovery! It's crazy how the triplandemic has hit us this holiday season. I know way more people who are sick right now that during even the height of the pandemic. But most of them have a cold or flu, because we're all still testing regularly and most of the people I know are down with something that isn't COVID.

I'm glad that my pharmacy had the quadrivalent flu shot at the same time it had the updated booster, especially since the flu vaccine is apparently a good match for what's currently circulating.
Thank you for that helpful information, Carlo! I've passed it on to our son, who will try and persuade the Mrs to get both soon! I get my flu shot every year for my diabetes, so I'm covered.

Also, Paxlovid's bitter after taste sure can sneak up on you. Ah, well! :unsure:

Feliz Navidad, my friend!! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Update for this morning:

Our son is back at work, I've just finished the last of my Paxlovid Tablets about an hour ago, and the Mrs is still a bit congested, as she was the last to get nailed with COVID. So far, I've given her tea. After my breakfast, I'll feed her whatever she wants and then tend to cleaning up the 7 point disaster that is our kitchen! :lol:

Much thanks to you all for your kind support! :)

Henry Krinkle

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
My wife and I are seniors. We live in Toronto. I am 80 and have had all the COVID vaccine shots available. In addition I have had a flu shot. I am diabetic and have a heart condition. Needless to say I am anxious about the ongoing situation. Here in Toronto most younger people do not wear masks. They are fearless and the statistics back them up. I have to wear a mask in indoor settings. My wife is 68 and is free of any medical conditions. Still she also wears a mask when visiting a mall or other indoor settings. We do our shopping and regular walks. I try to read, enjoys videos. I do not see an end in sight. I have read that the infamous "Black Death" lasted 5 years back in the Middle Ages. God forbid!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have read that the infamous "Black Death" lasted 5 years back in the Middle Ages. God forbid!
Not to try and rain on any parades, but the reason things like the bubonic plague, ebola, etc. die out is because the virus is too good at killing the host. At some point if the hosts keep dying at high rates, the virus then deprives itself of its victims. Additionally because BD was so efficient at killing people, people took drastic measures like changing personal hygiene, improving sanitation on a wide level, and quarantining.

The most successful viruses, like influenza, are highly contagious, but also leave their victims mostly alive (and yes I know we lose five figures a year in America to the flu but it's still a relatively small percentage compared to the number of annual cases). So the fact that COVID is now less fatal than when it first struck...this may be with us for a good long while.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but yeah, I just recently caught Covid probably at a Chinese New Year's Eve family dinner at this super busy restaurant a week ago... and at a most inopportune time as I'm forced to miss a much anticipated concert today at Carnege Hall as a result... :huh:

Such a major disappointment to conclude this very rough week (that had other difficulties beyond the health issue)...

I had mostly mild, flu-like symptoms that gradually subsided over the week and just about disappeared by today, but never got around to testing until figuring I should test to doublecheck before actually going to the concert -- I was gonna mask for the concert, if negative.

Guess I'm probably gonna be stuck being homebound for another week or so riding this out...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
On the plus side, of course, I've already been feeling better and barely have any symptoms remaining at all -- my last time w/ (again, mildly) flu-like sickness back following the TDay weekend was actually rougher, lasting much longer, but still wasn't really that bad.

At least I didn't really get/feel quite that sick (near as I can tell), nobody else in our extended family (at the dinner) seem to catch it, and I was able to cancel my concert tix for full refund (as that's their policy these days), but still a major bummer, especially after looking forward to this very rare concert opp to redeem an awful week...

Ah well... coulda been worse...

_Man_

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Well, guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but yeah, I just recently caught Covid probably at a Chinese New Year's Eve family dinner at this super busy restaurant a week ago... and at a most inopportune time as I'm forced to miss a much anticipated concert today at Carnege Hall as a result... :huh:

Such a major disappointment to conclude this very rough week (that had other difficulties beyond the health issue)...

I had mostly mild, flu-like symptoms that gradually subsided over the week and just about disappeared by today, but never got around to testing until figuring I should test to doublecheck before actually going to the concert -- I was gonna mask for the concert, if negative.

Guess I'm probably gonna be stuck being homebound for another week or so riding this out...

_Man_
Bummer. To miss the Philadelphia Orchestra!
Get well soon!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Bummer. To miss the Philadelphia Orchestra!
Get well soon!

And it was apparently an amazing, glorious marathon concert w/ plenty of dazzling showmanship from Yuja to boot!

She apparently musta changed clothes/gowns for every single concerto (plus the Rhapsody)!

So very bummed I had to miss it...

And thanks, I barely have any symptoms remaining at this point... mostly just testing positive, not much more...

_Man_

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you are feeling better, Man, and I'm sorry you had to miss the concert. And I'm not directing this "at" you, your message simply reminded me of how common it appears to be....

Why is it that so many people do NOT start self testing right away after developing any cold or flu like symptoms?

That is a serious question.

I've used about 24 self tests in the last year or so. All have been negative. I test if I have even a slight feeling of congestion or runny nose. So far, all of those feelings have been (apparently) due to weather change and allergies. But I don't just "dismiss" the symptoms, I test (sometimes for 3-4 days in a row).

With the preponderance of COVID in our society and the wide availability of home tests, I am completely baffled why so many people just automatically assume "it's just a cold" or "I must have caught the flu" and don't bother to test.

Is it because, deep in their inner conscious, they don't want to KNOW they are positive? Because it might impact their ability to interact with other and do things? If they don't know for sure, they won't have to feel any guilt?

Again, I am not trying to be critical. Man, you are FAR from being alone. I have MANY friends who've been down the same road as you. I'm trying to understand. My brain simply works in a way that demands that I self-test ASAP (and as needed after that) to be sure that I don't have a potentially dangerous disease.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks