What's new

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We've all been making adjustments in our lives. Ordering more stuff online, doing pickup and getting deliveries. I haven't been inside a store for more than a month. I'm thinking whenever there's a big upheavel like some, when things return to normal, some things will remain permanently changed.

Anyone have any thoughts on what will revert back to what it was, and what won't? I'm worried movie theaters may never totally recover.

PS: Asking this question doesn't mean I think "normal" is just around the corner. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Love my clippers. A buzz with a 1/4" guard every few weeks and I'm good. Younger guys with these buzzed on the sides, long and floppy on top styles (which they're constantly running their fingers through), are in trouble.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
My wife bought an oculus quest with the goal of keeping the kids amused while we are stuck at home. So far so good after Day 1 with lift.

It’s too bad job simulator doesn’t pay by the hour.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Best Buy just put 12TB hard drives on sale for $180 (they had previously been $280). I had just run out of hard drive space on my home theater PC with a shelf left of discs to go, and I was kinda bumming that I couldn’t work on that project while all of this is going on. That kind of mindless, monotonous, repetitive, detail oriented task was really helpful to me last year when my wife was in the hospital for the last seven weeks of the pregnancy while I was trying to avoid going crazy during the moments I was actually home and my working theory is that it’ll be just as useful now. And as an added bonus, when all of this ends we were going to be moving anyway, so if I can manage to get this shelf and it’s discs done so they can go into storage instead of our next place, that gives us even more flexibility in terms of acceptable room size and layout at places we’ll eventually see. I’m actually excited about something for a moment. That alone makes this an excellent day.

The pasta with turkey meat sauce I made earlier, and the triple chocolate chip muffins my wife made today, didn’t hurt either :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the last two weeks, I've been shopping at my local grocery store on Tuesday and Thursday at the designated hours of 7:00-8:00 a.m. for seniors and those with health conditions. I noticed that Tuesdays are very crowded while Thursday is much less so, especially when the store first opens up. With some luck, I'm on my way to being elderly one day, but when you have a bunch of elders shopping at the same time, they can be a PITA as they clog up the aisles and they don't observe the six foot rule. Anyhow, I noticed the shelves are better stocked on Thursday than Tuesday. To reduce my exposure to Covid-19, next week I'm going to shop only on Thursday. The only problem is the store is limiting the amount of Powerade drinks to only 5 per customer which I love to drink so I might have to do some maneuvering around that minor issue. I am also contemplating shopping for enough food to last two weeks. I daily inventory my food supplies, right now I have enough food to last me 45-50 days.:oops: I know, what else does a retired supply chain manager has to do during such a crisis.:rolleyes:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Our Sobeys is only letting one person from a couple enter the store. I am out in the car waiting for my wife right now to come with the groceries.

She is also trying to get a bottle of “Draino” before my shower overflows on to the floor tonight. Home Depot was a mad house with a line across the front of the store.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I had a phone interview yesterday about potential volunteer opportunities at Banting House. Normally, they'd be taking in lots of volunteers right now, but with the province pretty much shutdown, Banting House has been closed until further notice, and a lot of major events that had been planned to celebrate the centennial of Sir Frederick Banting's 'idea' are in danger of not happening. This would have been great publicity that I feel could have potentially aided in finally finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes (And with that, the Flame of Hope could finally be extinguished!), but of course, current priorities lie in keeping the COVID-19 virus in check, hopefully with a vaccine for it being developed sooner, rather than later.

2020 has fast become a year of survival for every human on this planet. Stay safe, everyone!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Target stores are finally limiting the number of people into their stores. I think all retailers need to do the same based on my shopping experiences.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems like we'll have to get back to ordering out some more again to help keep at least a few of our regular, neighborhood restaurants open.

They've been closing one by one, and who knows whether many of them can return whenever this is over (enough)...:unsure:

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Target stores are finally limiting the number of people into their stores. I think all retailers need to do the same based on my shopping experiences.
I think this is why the governor here put limits on the types of goods the big box stores are allowed to sell. They were drawing larger crowds of people that could be just browsing out of boredom, as it's one of the only places open.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, it depends on the locale but it's a non-issue around me. I've been in my local Target once since this went down but I drive past every now & then and it's always looked like a ghost town there. I literally saw maybe a total of ten people when I was in there buying Star Wars this week. Once again, I'm sure it all depends on the area but traffic at any time of the day is like a Saturday morning around me- very few people are going out.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Seems like we'll have to get back to ordering out some more again to help keep at least a few of our regular, neighborhood restaurants open.

They've been closing one by one, and who knows whether many of them can return whenever this is over (enough)...:unsure:

_Man_
Sad to say, a lot of our familiar and favorite places won’t survive this. Our economy won’t recover any time soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm keeping occupied through the day with a mixture of productive and leisurely activities, but not taking on any big-picture goals.

I wound up spending all morning on work-managerial stuff from home.
I went for job ... a walk ... a crawl...a 400 minute mile :) I don't like jogging. But I need exercise, so I'm doing some jogging.
And then I watched three episodes of The Magicians.
Next up, dinner. Ordering our Friday night pizza from our usual place. They're probably going out of business, but I'll give them my dollars that I can while they're open.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife is a bit afraid to do take out orders. How long does the virus survive on paper, cardboard, and plastic?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife is a bit afraid to do take out orders. How long does the virus survive on paper, cardboard, and plastic?
I transfer the food to my own plates and I nuke it just enough to kill any bacteria. Also, wash your hands after transferring your food and trashing the boxes. Covid-19 can stay active on plastic for three days and one day on cardboard.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I transfer the food to my own plates and I nuke it just enough to kill any bacteria. Also, wash your hands after transferring your food and trashing the boxes. Covid-19 can stay active on plastic for three days and one day on cardboard.

We’ve been avoiding takeout prepared meals so far but that’s the procedure my wife and I discussed if we decide to go ahead and order one night.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We’ve been avoiding takeout prepared meals so far but that’s the procedure my wife and I discussed if we decide to go ahead and order one night.
It's what I did with the pizza I ordered last weekend. You get tired of cooking and eating your own food.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks