What's new

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I go out of my way to keep a 6' distance, though when I move back from a conversation, they want to move closer again, until after the second or third time, when I kindly mention to them to please keep a 6' distance, and usually get an apology and then they honor the rules.

I also make a conscious effort not to be walking behind someone for more than 10 paces.
If so, I'll back off, otherwise I'll be constantly walking into and breathing in their newly exhaled breath, up close and personal (instead of 6' away), halfway around the store, especially if they're my height or even taller.

I also blow my nose as soon as I get to my vehicle, no matter what did or didn't previously transpire in the store.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Question: for those who ordered the four free at home tests from the Federal Government...is yours waiting at the post office to be picked up? Or is this something unique to my area (L.A.) or my living situation (apartment complex vs. private home)?

Because mine arrived at the USPS office on Saturday and has been "Available for Pickup" since then. There have been rare instances in the past where something was given this status by USPS tracking for a day, only to have it delivered the following day. But it's been there since Saturday and looking at the tracking status today it still says "Available for Pickup" (today's courier should have left the station by now).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I ordered them on the first day, the 19th, but no notice of them being shipped yet.

I'm guessing your complex has parcel boxes.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Our province is only providing free home COVID test kits for those deemed at high risk of hospitalization. A couple of weeks back, a nearby friend who is fully boosted couldn't get the free test kit, despite his unvaccinated roommate (Who was eligible due to being of higher risk because he wasn't vaccinated), refusing the test kit. They were both very sick at the time, but thankfully, they both recovered fairly quickly, as it turned out.

To say I'm not happy with our province's cockeyed setup regarding test kits is indeed, putting it very mildly.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Update: looks like USPS was just sitting on it from Saturday to yesterday. Was in the mailbox when I got home last night.

Last night I went with a friend to a sporting event which required vaccination or recent negative test, masks, and while it was a pretty full arena, our seats actually had pretty low density (upper level). We are both boosted, wore high quality N95 masks, and I'm going to be somewhat curious to see if we both continue to test negative (we both get tested twice weekly for work). Obviously I do not want to be infected, but I'm on a totally separate, scientific level to understand how possibly transmissible it is in crowds, if the vast majority of people are wearing their high quality masks correctly. Whenever I looked around at the people within 15-20 feet of our seats everyone was wearing surgical or better masks properly over their mouth and nose.

So in my view this was as close to an "ideal" a situation of mask compliance as one could reasonably hope for in a crowd situation. If either of us test positive, then to me that will be proof that transmissibility is extremely high even when proper precautions are taken by those around us. But I'm obviously hoping we continue to test negative and thus show that if people are responsible, large and safe gatherings are indeed possible.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our free at-home test kits haven't been delivered yet. Maybe today?

Two more of our friends have tested positive for COVID. One of them is what he describes as moderately ill. Running a fever (he didn't say how high) with chills and significant body aches. He said he expects to spend the entire weekend in bed.

They are both vaccinated. Not sure if they are both boosted.

Mark

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I know you're supposed to keep testing up to 5 days past the possible event exposure, but Omicron it seems hits faster than previous variants.

It's been 3 days since the sporting event and I just took my PCR through work, I should have results within 24 hours. I feel totally normal so I'm hoping that high mask adherence + requirement for vaccine or recent negative test kept me safe! My friend also took her PCR and is likewise feeling totally normal as of this morning.

Best wishes to your friends, Mark.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Carlo. I've got my fingers crossed that you and your friend test negative.

My wife and I are scheduled to take a road trip in one week. This will be the first time we've stayed overnight in a hotel since January 2020. Well, I did help our daughter move at the very beginning of March 2020 and that required 3 nights in a hotel (plus a couple of flights on a plane). But next week will be our first time in 2 years to hit the road as a couple.

We are most definitely planning to attend. The weather looks excellent. We will be traveling with a largish group of friends (over a dozen other Miatas). What we won't be doing (Cathy and I) is eating indoors in any restaurants during the trip. If we are indoors around others, our masks will be on. Period. We'll eat lunches or snacks in the car and all meals at our destination (Cambria, CA) will be done as take-out and eaten in our hotel room. We won't be having any housekeeping services done while we are staying at the hotel either. The fewer people in our room, the better.

I think, with some caution, we can have an enjoyable trip and still avoid COVID. Fingers crossed.

Mark

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
My COVID test three days after the sporting event came back negative! I went to another game on Saturday and just took my weekly test today...fingers crossed I feel totally normal. PCR results in 24 hours.

I'm proud of the fanbase of the team I follow, in that in each of the last two games I saw most everyone wearing high quality surgical masks or KN95 (and in some cases N95) variants, and properly covering their mouth and nose. Gives me hope for humanity! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I’ve not posted here in a long time! I sort of stopped because in the early days the news was so depressing.

I’m still dealing with Covid by sheltering at home 99 percent of the time and limited any excursions outside. I’ve been avoiding people as much as I can. Not a very good way to live, I know. But I have a lot of things that keep me busy, a challenging job keeps me busy. And it’s great I can get groceries delivered!

I’ve been out a few times, met some friends out in his driveway a few weeks ago for about 20 minutes,. We are all vaccinated and boosted. But I still was uncomfortable as one guy wasn’t masked, while I and my other friend was masked.

I’ve also been to the office several times, I actually feel more comfortable there as we all have to be masked and distanced.

However, I have a question for you guys. There is a report of a coworker whose tested positive and was there the same day I was in the office. But I was not exposed, as far as I know. The HR department would have told me if I was. Our badges can tell where we are in the building, so I must not have been close by. It’s a large building.

I have to go in tomorrow and the company offers the antigen tests and I was told to use that before I go in. But the company also has the PCR test which I might do after I finish my business there. The question is, how do you do the antigen test? I’ve never taken a Covid test!

I feel pretty confident I’m still Covid free. Thanks.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The question is, how do you do the antigen test? I’ve never taken a Covid test!

It should likely come w/ clear, step-by-step instructions... and you'll probably need to swab either your nasal passages or maybe the back of your mouth -- I've only done one that swabs nasal passages. Nothing too uncomfortable (even though I was more thorough about swabbing myself than the RNs, et al who did it for my several PCR tests over the past year)...

IF you've done any high school level (maybe even middle school level) basic science/chemistry experiments (and was alright at that), you should be plenty fine w/ this. At worst, you make a mistake, get clearly faulty results (and the test should be designed for such to be usually detectable), and then try again -- test kits usually come w/ at least 2 tests each.

IF you're still familiar w/ basic chemistry terminologies/methodologies, your antigen test is probably based on some basic spectroscopy technique.

_Man_

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
What Man said. The at home antigen tests I've taken were nasal swabs and you had to put this solution in a thing and then insert the tip of the swab into the thing and then pray you don't see the "bad" line, like a pregnancy test 😂.

PCR tests are generally more accurate (give a lower rate of false positive/negative) but the differences are that 1) it takes longer to get the results (1-2 days vs. nearly instant), and also it's so accurate it can detect parts of the virus so if, for example, you were positive weeks ago but were asymptomatic, or fully recovered, and are no longer contagious to anyone, a PCR might still come back positive due to its high sensitivity.

Here's a good writeup of the differences: https://www.umassmed.edu/news/news-...ence-between-a-pcr-and-antigen-covid-19-test/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvingsanford
Recent bookmarks