What's new

How are ya doing in Neverwinter Nights? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Err, ok - drama lost on me.

So, again, how is everyone doing in NWN?

I've had a small problem with my motherboard (not recognizing cd drives) and been out of town so I haven't been able to play for about a week.

One thing I've noticed missing: Spring Attack! Since I've picked up Mobility I figured on picking that one up but it'd be hard to represent that within the game. (Not as hard as Item Creation/Metamagic feats, but..)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I am just about done with chapter 3.

I find the game a little too easy. I am a 10th level fighter / 7th level wizard. With equiped items, I have a 26 strength and 24 intellect and am permanently hasted. I cant find any enemies that are hard to kill. Even the dragons, including the ancient red
were too easy to kill. Maybe it is the enemy AI....they dont seem very imaginative. Some of the enemies have fairly strong magic, but dont seem to use it effectively.

I tried playing multiplayer with a couple of friends, and had a blast. This really is a great game, it is going to be on my harddrive for a long time.

I havent built any modules yet, but the tools seem easy and powerful enough to make some great adventures.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
26 STR 24 INT? Whaaa? I'm a 10th level fighter / 2nd level rogue. With equipped items I have STR 18, DEX 17, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 9. Permanent haste?! Where'd you get that?

Yeesh. Maybe I skipped a bunch of stuff. I'm smack dab in the middle of chapter 2, just finished the
creator race
mission/quest.

My AC kinda stinks too. I've got Full Plate +3 and the Greater Shield of Dawn - comes out to about 27 I think. Are there any (major) items I've missed up to this point?

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I will have to double check these names/items when I get home, but here is how I did it.

Strength:
- gauntlets of ogre power (+3 STR)
- Belt of ____ giant strength (+4, dont remember the name)
- +3 strength with my armor (Squires armor or something like that). The AC isnt that great, +4 i think, but I can live with that. It was my most expensive purchase so far, 60,000 or so I think.

Intelligence:
- 2 rings of Clear Thought, both are +3 int. I think my helmet also does +1 int.

Haste:
- Boots of Speed provide the permanent haste, which is VERY handy. Your guy runs ALOT faster, making it quicker to get around. They are 70,000 to buy I think, I found 2 pairs so far so didnt have to break the bank!

I am dual wielding also. Have a +4 Katana (that does an additional 1d8 or 1d10 in Sonic damage) and a +3 LongSword ( also does 1d6 in sonic damamge.) With all the attacks I get (2 weapons, Improved Two Weapon Fighting skill, haste) I can often do 50-60 damage in a single round. Sometimes I can critical hit for quite a bit more.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
But ability score mods from items aren't supposed to stack. You should just see an increase in your ability score in accordance with the highest mod. If your game truly stacks every ability modifier together, keep it! It's a rare copy!

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I play Multi all the time. Serverside characters only.
If anyone is looking for someone to fill their server, join in a game, or help test a mod then I'm your guy.

I'm also creating a few areas that I'll never host so if you need an area I may be able to accomodate ya if I frequent your server...

East Coast.

Ben

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
John:

Are you sure they arent supposed to stack??

I know that AC doesnt stack. I have tried to equip 2 rings of protection +2 and they didnt stack.

But I thought ability scores did stack. It has always done this for me, I am using the latest patch (1.19.6722)

I have felt the game seems way too easy. I have a +20 attack bonus (main hand, first attack). And with the mad damage the guy does, I have not been challenged by even the hardest enemies. Maybe the stacked ability scores are making it too easy????

Can anyone else confirm the ability to stack ability scores??? If it is a bug maybe I should sell this guy on ebay!

Jeff

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
anyone here playing online yet? if so, how is it? Is it possible to play online without a DM present? Anyone try their hand at the Module Creation Toolset yet? etc, etc, etc.

(i dont have the game yet, but planning to pick up sometime next week.)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
anyone here playing online yet?
Unfortunately, no. My system is archaic and barely plays the game single-player. I'd hate to throw another bottleneck into the mix. I've tried it and within a game of 4-5 players it starts stuttering; I assumed that it was due to my dial-up connection.

Where'd you get the Boots of Speed, Jeff?

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Bonuses with a similar identifier do not stack. The exceptions are dodge and ac if you are using armor and a shield. Otherwise it just should use your highest bonus.

Been playing online a bit in my Pnp DM's modules. been fun so far, thankful for my broadband connection.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
NWN is one of, if not *the*, most engrossing computer games I've ever played. The game just sucks me in like no other. “Just another 10 minutes” can easily turn into 2-4 hours...it's insanely fun. Here are all of the juicy details thus far--I'm a chaotic-good, dwarven fighter at level 17. I chose to be a pure fighter because I've never really played a PC RPG before...didn't really know what to expect, but I've figured it all out now and will be creating a custom character for my next time through. I'm just about an hour into chapter III and having a blast...but I don't know what to spend my money on--I've got almost 570,000 gold! :D
Oh, and to anyone looking to build their own module but doesn’t think they have the skills to do so; go pick up the latest Computer Games magazine. The BioWare team wrote a nice little tutorial that easily shows how to build an outdoor area, NPC with branching dialogue, an indoor area that is linked to the outdoor area, doors, chests and other placeables, various monster encounters, custom item creation (a sword), and a custom NPC boss. Nice work, BioWare. :emoji_thumbsup:
::EDIT::
Just for those who are interested in what kind of system I'm running:
Windows XP Pro
512 megs DDR2100 RAM
Athlon Tbird 1.4Mhz
TNT 2 Ultra
I get about 20 FPS on average w/medium graphics@800x600, which is why I'm about to order a GeForce 3 Ti 200 in a day or two. Apparently I can easily overclock it to GF3 Ti 500 speeds, so for $80 shipped it's a steal. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
So I'm at the point where I'm a judge. (Still chapter 2)
I've found some neat items. I traded in my mithral splint mail for that shadow legion armor (my Dex is now 19, after starting at 13) and I've picked up the mirror shield. I thought about using the white dragon armor but the cold resistance isn't that useful and it's heavy.
I'm Fgt10/Rog3. Evasion has helped me quite a bit. ;)
Where can I pick up some scrolls so that I can make some of those items in Port Llast (the ones you learn about from the Tomes : Life, Death, Ice, Fire, ?) It's funny - I'm a Fighter/Rogue and I made a Staff of Power. :confused:

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
The judge part is in Chapter 2 in charwood.
In chapter 3 you act as defence in the trial of an Uthgardt warrior.

Am now about midway through Chapter 3. My character is now maxed out at Fighter 8/Wizard 12, with more gold and weapons than I could possibly ever need. I haven't enjoyed an RPG so much since playing Fallout 2.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Right. I'm the judge in chapter 2 right now.

Maxxed out at Fgt8/Wiz12? You can only take 20 levels total?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Max of lvl 20 total... kinda stinks doesn't it, and epic levels are so cool. O well, I'm sure they did that because they want to offer an expansion.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
20 level maximum is because that is the rule in pen and paper DnD. Epic level rules are pretty cool, but since they just came out I can understand why they weren't implemented in NWN. The expansion is probably inevitable though, it'll just be a while.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm disappointed now. I've got 14 levels so far and I thought there was so much more to the game. How many chapters is it total?

Yeah, The Epic Level Handbook just came out. There was some mention/teasers about Epic in the Forgotten Realms sourcebook but no clear cut rules on how to implement them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks