What's new

How are ya doing in Neverwinter Nights? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wrapping up the one mission concerning
the Intellect Devourer

Man, some of these foes are tough!

I'm still in need of processor power but it plays much better now that I've tweaked my system. So far it's been a lot of fun - just haven't had the time to play all that much.

How are you guys doing so far?

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
To be Honest, the game looks awesome, but I haven't been able to play for more than 30 minutes at a time. I'm suffering from the dreaded screen freeze.
Actually, it was a little weird. I decided to see what would happen if I maxed out my graphics card and put everything to Quality. It's a Radeon 8500. That seemed to help a little and allowed me to play for about 2 hours before the freeze. You'd think I'd need to go the other direction with the graphics card.
But like I said, from the looks of it, I'm going to love this game, and this may be my first foray into on-line gaming, now that I've got the high-speed thing goin' :)
Kraig

Brian E

Screenwriter
I'm having the same issues with my Radeon 8500. Get about an hour or two and she freezes.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
I was having some problems with screen freezes, as was a friend of mine. We found that turning off the background music helped immensely, which seemed kinda strange but I can play for hours without it freezing on me now. Have you updated your sound and video drivers?

As far as the game, it's fantastic. I'm about halfway through module 2 and the story keeps geting better. Haven't had this much fun with an RPG since Fallout 2.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the middle of Beggar's Nest right now. I found out that I wasn't getting much XP because my familiar is higher level than me (the Panther and Hellhound familiars are always equal to your level, plus one!), so I opted to only use the familiar on really tough opponents, and summon my dire boar instead.
As for the freezing problems: You guys might want to try the game crack, as many users who had the same problems reported that it goes away when they used it.
I've had the game freeze on me twice now, after 12 hours of play. Really annoying when you haven't saved for 2 hours. :angry:
gamecopyworld will have the crack (add the www and the com to the front and end of it, respectively)

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Brian and Kraig, I've got a Radeon 7200 and a buddy of mine that I play multiplayer with online has the 8500 and we were both getting the same lockup problem. We were running the new catalyst drivers. After reading some of the neverwinter forums and some ATI forums people that have switched back to the driver set before the catalyst have not had the lockup problem(for us it was the 6071, those are the XP drivers), and we have not had anymore lockups either. Don't know what driver versions you are running but it might be food for thought. Other than that I am loving the game, I finished chapter one and have received about 15 new quest in chapter two.

Corey

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,

I downloaded the 6071 drivers today from ATI. I'm gonna hold off a little bit though. I'm right in the middle of Morrowind and it's getting interesting. I think I'll play through this for a while longer, and see if a new driver release or patch comes out for NWN in the mean time.

BTW, the Catalyst drivers for the 8500 did wonders for Morrowind. I haven't been this emersed in a game since X-Com. I'm glad I'm going on a sabbatical this summer. I'll need the time to catch up with all the releases in the next month.

Kraig

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
I was holding out for a patch for the catalyst drivers, but I got tired of waiting...only been a week!!!LOL...Also, on the neverwinter forums some of the developers said that they tested the game with the 6071 versions. I have also been reading on the forums that it might be the onboard sound that is causing problems, the onboard AC'97 that is. I dunno though, guess I'll wait an see. It's running great right now though.

Corey

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm in Chapter 2 with my 10th level sorcerer. I've been playing mostly on multiplayer with a couple of guys on their server. We've been doing pretty well and playing regularly in the evenings.

I haven't had a single freeze with the game. My video card is a Gainward GeForce2 Ti450 64 megs DDR RAM.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a Radeon 8500 (128 MB) and I cannot enable the "shiny water" in the option. Any help?

Pete

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, the word over on the Bioware Neverwinter forum is that the "shiny water" effect is not able to be enabled on all ATI cards for some reason. Bioware used some of nVidia's OpenGL extensions to enable the shiny water, I am just guessing that nVidia might have bought this feature, they do have a logo on the back of the box. Eventhough the 8500 supports OpenGL, ATI doesn't have these extension. Some people are blaming ATI wanting a fix, ala the GTA3 fog fix, other people are blaming Bioware for only supporting nVidia on the "shiny water". Who knows who to believe. But as far as I know, no ATI user will be able to enable the "shiny water", until some type of patch is released. Sorry. :frowning:
Corey

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Corey! Hope they do release a patch soon!

People with nvdia cards, how does it look with shiny waters enabled? Great, nice or so so?

Peter

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Strange. I think the water looks nice, but not Morrowind-nice (if you know what I mean;)).
I have a GF4 TI 4600 with graphic options maxed out. Can anyone link me to a picture of the way the water is supposed to look?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I agree with Allan...it's nice but not a big deal. Strange, the ATI should be able to render it, it doesn't look that complicated! Could be a missing feature in the ATI driver?

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update, there is a new patch for Neverwinter. Some people on Bioware's forums are saying good things, others are not. Also, for ATI users, www.rage3d.com has some new drivers for all ATI cards. They are leaked beta drivers, but some people in the rage3d forums have said that these drivers have fixed the crashing problems. I can't try this as I am at work, but I'll give it a shot when I get home.
Corey

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Has anyone found a good page for modules yet? It would be nice if there was a module review page where people could submit their modules and have them tested and rated.

Mike

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I just had mine freeze up on me for the first time. It was in the Beggar's Nest fighting the mummy
I had the sucker down to 'near death'. :angry:
I've got a 5th level (1k xp from 6th) fighter. I picked up the halfling rogue as a henchman...he's proven his worth time and time again. One thing: How do you view his inventory? I can get his character sheet but can't see his inventory. I think I read somewhere where henchemen will only take potions from you? man, if you find a better weapon/armor/etc he can't use it at all? That's a bit silly.
Speaking of not being able to use, I had the Two-bladed sword, took it to the weaponsmith and made it into that Uthgart Ceremonial Blade...now I can't use it. Great. :frowning:

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
John, I'm also using the Rouge Tomi. I am pretty sure that the henchmen do not have inventory screens. However, if you want to change his tactics, just talk to him. I think it is the second or third option. I've currently got Tomi using a bow and damn can he do some damage. Also, incase you didn't know, the henchmen also have quests of their own. You have to talk to them, I believe it is the first option.

Corey

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Yay! I got my Voodoo4 video card to work! It still looks a little jumpy, but it plays. Seems cool so far. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks