How are widescreen shows on analog cable presented on 16x9 sets??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Oct 16, 2001.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I have regular cable and notice that more programs, like Angel and Enterprise, are being presented in widescreen format. If I were to get the regular analog cable feed of these programs on a widescreen set, how would they be displayed? Would they still show vertical bars on the sides as well as horizontal ones on top and bottom (according to the filmed ratio, of course)? Does material need to be anamorpically enhanced to take the full width of the 16x9 tube? The reason I want to know is that I am considering a widescreen set but I still view much more 4x3 material than 16x9 and I don't like the look of stretch modes. With new shows being presented in widescreen at least some of the time the vertical bars would be gone(depending on the answer to this post). Thanks a lot.

2. Han

Han Second Unit

In short, they're shown like non-anamorphic enhanced widescreen DVDs.
    Therefore, you should adjust your picture size mode according. If you're lazy like me, you can leave the TV in smooth stretch all the time for cable (Toshiba's TW1). Then, these widescreen shows look sort of like 2.35 movies. You can set the TV to normal 4x3 mode or whatever the manufacturer calls it, and there will be black bars on the top and bottom plus gray bars on the sides. Ridiculous. Or you can zoom in on the image and the widescreen show should look undistorted and fill the 16x9 TV screen.
    I leave the set in smooth stretch all the time because I may want to flip channels or watch a commercial during the show's breaks (Angel). Too much effort to keep switching stretch modes, especially with a Toshiba TV which doesn't have discrete buttons for each mode and you gotta fumble around with the buttons.
    [Edited last by Han on October 16, 2001 at 09:02 AM]

3. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Han,
    That's surprising. What is the point in presenting these shows in widescreen then, if it only simulates the widescreen look on regular 4x3 sets and ends up making you lose even more screen area on 16x9 sets? Strange.

4. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Virtually all primetime shows for the past few years have been shoot 1.79 widescreen which is the HD standard and framed for 4.3...
    ------------------

6. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator