1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How are these Mel Brooks' discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I saw in KMART today that "The History of the World: Part I" and "Young Frankenstein" were on sale for $13... I would like to pick them both up, but I wanted to know how the quality of the discs are first... I think that these are older Fox releases are they not? Thanks! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

2. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

Young Frankenstein looks pretty good, but it's non-16x9E and was taken from a (at the time) recent LD transfer, as I recall.
    History I don't have, it was another LD transfer that got pretty mediocre reviews when released. But if I saw it for $13 I'd buy it... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Kevin

3. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

History of the World's transfer is so-so at best, but the movie is so great that you have to buy it anyway. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Young Frankenstein's commentary track by Mel Brooks is a blast. I highly recommend the disc.
    [​IMG]

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Young Frankenstein is an excellent DVD (although I picked it up for 16....thanks to Suncoast!) [​IMG]
    This DVD has a Mel Brooks commentary, 7 deleted scenes (in excellent condition, although open matte.), tons of trailers and TV spots, documentary (has interviews and lots of interesting stuff!), blooper/outtake reel, about 100 production stills, and 2 mexican TV interviews.
    The transfer is not anamorphic and the soundtrack is an excellent mono track. Don't expect a 5.1 track for this kind of film...the mono track is deliberately low in fidelity for some parts of the sound (like the music) to re-create the audio style of the original Frankenstien.
    The menus are in black & white and feature a hidden sight gag on one of the menu pages.
    It's a no-brainer DVD.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.