How are these Mel Brooks' discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I saw in KMART today that "The History of the World: Part I" and "Young Frankenstein" were on sale for $13... I would like to pick them both up, but I wanted to know how the quality of the discs are first... I think that these are older Fox releases are they not? Thanks! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

2. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

Young Frankenstein looks pretty good, but it's non-16x9E and was taken from a (at the time) recent LD transfer, as I recall.
    History I don't have, it was another LD transfer that got pretty mediocre reviews when released. But if I saw it for $13 I'd buy it... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Kevin

3. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

History of the World's transfer is so-so at best, but the movie is so great that you have to buy it anyway. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Young Frankenstein's commentary track by Mel Brooks is a blast. I highly recommend the disc.
    [​IMG]

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Young Frankenstein is an excellent DVD (although I picked it up for 16....thanks to Suncoast!) [​IMG]
    This DVD has a Mel Brooks commentary, 7 deleted scenes (in excellent condition, although open matte.), tons of trailers and TV spots, documentary (has interviews and lots of interesting stuff!), blooper/outtake reel, about 100 production stills, and 2 mexican TV interviews.
    The transfer is not anamorphic and the soundtrack is an excellent mono track. Don't expect a 5.1 track for this kind of film...the mono track is deliberately low in fidelity for some parts of the sound (like the music) to re-create the audio style of the original Frankenstien.
    The menus are in black & white and feature a hidden sight gag on one of the menu pages.
    It's a no-brainer DVD.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.