How are the Sting 1998 remastered CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Dec 6, 2001.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I'm a big Sting fan, but haven't got around to picking up the remastered disks that were released in 1998. Does anyone here have them? If so, how do they compare to the original releases?

2. Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn Agent

Although i've got Mercury Rising, Dream of the blue turtles and The Soul cages(TSC), i can only comment on TSC since i have the pre-remaster to compare with. I can say its more pleasing than the previous release. The drums are more distinct and the bass has increased presence. I've always thought the original was slightly muted and pushing up the volume didn't remedy the situation. This remaster solves that problem, at least for me. It comes with a quicktime version of the 'All this time' video.

3. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    David, Mikal et al.:

Are The Dream Of the Blue Turtles, . . . Nothing Like the Sun, The Soul Cages and Mercury Rising the only four Sting albums to have been remastered (on regular CDs; I'm aware of and excluding the many Sting DTS CDs)?

Also, does anyone have any comparative sound quality/packaging comments on the remastered The Dream Of the Blue Turtles versus the MoFi Ultradisc of this title?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Have the remasted Sting CDs in question been released in the US? If so, I haven't seen them anywhere. When I was in the UK on business in June of last year, I saw the remastered Sting CDs and bought them all. They are great! Highly recommended.

Paul, I have the MFSL gold CD version of Dream of the Blue Turtles, but haven't compared it the remastered CD I bought in the UK. It's been awhile since I listened to the MFSL version. I'll have to do that sometime.

5. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I stopped listening after "Dream of the Blue Turtles" and "Bring on the Night", skipping to the sessions he recorded with Gil Evans and some studio sessions outtakes.

It was bold for him to take on Jazz like he did. And he had something going there for a very short while, but to me, it just dissolved into a mad drive for acceptance and then when that "failed", commerciality...somewhere in there. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money with the crossover crowd, but I just lost interest...and I'm sure some of the hardcore fans did too...and went on to genuine Jazz artists that were really Jazz artists.

He was big on participating in tribute compilations..."Mack The Knife" and "Strange Fruit" are standouts...but his kitchy duets really turned me off....I mean does he show confidence in his solo talent by dueting with Bryan Adams, Tammy Wynette, Luciano Pavarotten, Vanessa Williams, and Robert Downey Jr. etc....or by playing on a Miles Davis album ? Some strange choices there, but I guess it beats starving and living off Police royalties. "Always forward", I guess.

I do have a superb 3CD box selection from his 1988 US tour...but after this tour, one door closed and another opened, as the death of his parents caused some writers block somewhere between "Nothing But The Sun" and "Soul Cages". Things change.

His work with Police was seminal punk and they managed to create a patented sound of their own...which to me, is hard to do...and created a very strong following, that followed him devotedly to this day. He makes alot of money now, sings at the Superbowl, so I will just listen to the Police stuff and the early studio and live solo recordings that I have...and let him go on his own special way.

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
  7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    KeithH:
    Re your post #4: Gonna do your MoFi-to-A & M remaster Blue Turtles comparison . . . please? [​IMG]
    Paul

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I bet the MoFi lose big! It has terrible sonics!
    All hat and no cattle as they say in Texas.
    [​IMG]

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul,

I still have not done the comparison, but I really should. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Lee,

I always like the MFSL version of Dream of the Blue Turtles, but I haven't done a good comparison with other versions.

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer