What's new

How are the remastered Jimi Hendrix studio albums on CD? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi All,

I have Jimi's studio albums on the original CD versions that were released many years back. I've seen that there are new "remastered" versions out and was wondering if sonically it is worth the upgrade?

Your thoughts are appreciated, both the owners of the new CDs as well as any that own both versions.

I'll probably end up buying Are You Experienced? since it has more tracks than my CD, but Electric Ladyland and Axis: Bold As Love don't seem to have added tracks.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There are actually at least 2 versions of remasters: the quite a few years old Eddie Kramer ones (mid 90's?), and the current ones from Hendrix's estate (late 90's?).

I remember seeing a comparison of them in Pulse, or ICE Magazine, or maybe it was S&V (Stereo Review) at that time.

Be interesting if anyone can dig up links.

My impression is, that any of the remastered discs will sound better than the originally released CDs.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
My impression is, that any of the remastered discs will sound better than the originally released CDs.
Agreed. I don't think I have a worse set of CDs quality-wise from one artist. I'll have to check out these remasters.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
"There are actually at least 2 versions of remasters: the quite a few years old Eddie Kramer ones (mid 90's?), and the current ones from Hendrix's estate (late 90's?)."

I'm confused, as I thought that Alan Douglas did the older re-masters and that Eddie Kramer did the newer ones. Anyone know for sure? Thx.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have the 1st set of remasters, not the currently available versions.
Says Eddie Kramer was among the original engineers, but that they were remastered by Joe Gastwirt (Ocean View Digital Mastering) released under supervision of Alan Douglas.
So I think you're right Rick... :)

ChadB

Auditioning
hello...i have the newer remasters that are on the Hendrix estate label...i had the original Reprise cds and the '93 remasters with the different covers on the front...i much prefer the latest remasters above all of them...i read an article with Eddie Kramer saying how the newer remasters will sound like a veil is being lifted from the speakers and i would have to agree with him on that compared to the '93 remasters...plus the original Reprise cds, if i'm correct, used the No-Noise Reduction technique on them, which i'm not a big fan of.

ChadB

Auditioning
hello...i have the newer remasters that are on the Hendrix estate label...i had the original Reprise cds and the '93 remasters with the different cover artwork...i much prefer the latest remasters above all of them...i read an article with Eddie Kramer saying how the newer remasters will sound like a veil is being lifted from the speakers and i would have to agree with him on that compared to the '93 remasters...plus the original Reprise cds, if i'm correct, used the No-Noise Reduction technique on them, which i'm not a big fan of.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to find the article among my hundreds of magazines, but I thought that there was something about Gastwirt being critical of some remastering of Hendrix CDs a few years back. Maybe he was speaking of the original remasters and finally was able to do his own remastering with the new set?

No matter, a friend let me borrow Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland for me and I can confirm a sonic improvement. I will be picking these up, along with Axis: Bold as Love, ASAP.

Thanks all!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Gastwirt did the 1st set, not the current set.
The more I think about this, the more I remember one comparison review being done in S&V (or maybe even it was still Stereo Review).
There were overdubs mentioned as well as being differences.
I will try to find that. (I did keep it, and I think I know where it's at! :) )

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
My filing system works! :) Found 2 reviews:
1) 3/5 of a page in Stereo Review, Sept 1997, pg 96. There were actually 4 versions of Electric Ladyland!
2) 3 page "review" by Corey Greenberg, Audio magazine, Nov 1997, pg 40. Also includes an interview with Eddie Kramer.
For anyone's who's interested, somehow get me your email address (my profile here has mine, or use a private message), and I'll try to scan these in and send out copies. I'll do black and white to save bandwidth.
The 1st does describe the differences a little more than the 2nd, but says that between the MCA version (1993) and the Eddie Kramer version in 1997, not much difference. (Only compares Electric Ladyland.)
Corey is much more vehement that he prefers the later Eddie Kramer versions. But of course, he interviewed the guy for the article! :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Found a third pre-view.
March 1997 pre-release blurb in ICE Magazine. (Sort of a collector's CD mag.)
I'll get that to you too Carlo. ;)
BTW, I don't know if Luke is cruising this thread, he's a real big Who expert and fan, I saw his comments in ICE about Odds & Sods when it came out. Small world...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to pick up the latest version of Are You Experienced? (Hendrix Estate version). I have the original version and the first remastered disc. The first remastered version is much better. I'd like to compare it to the latest remaster. The original Reprise version sucks, but I hold onto it for memories of blasting it on a lousy stereo system in my college dorm room. Who cared about sound quality then? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks