How are the Muppets and Sesame Street movie DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jan 21, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I've been thinking about picking these up, and want to hear some opinions on the extras, sound, and look of the movies.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would like to know too, plus are there any more words of Muppet Treasure Island and A Muppet Christmas Carol?

3. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I've got Muppet Movie, Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space.

There not much extras on any of them. The transfers of Movie and Manhattan are OAR, anamorphic but leave something to be desired in the overall quality of the source material for the transfer. The colors and black level are OK, but there is a lot of grain and specs. They obviously didn't spend any time restoring the source or cleaning up the digital transfer.

Space looks quite a lot better, but is a newer movie.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There's no "Sesame Street movie DVDs" out yet except for Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (unless you count the TV-movie "CinderElmo"). Follow That Bird is on-the-way on 3/26, but the details are sketchy as Warner Bros has been - as they typically are - tight-lipped with the details. We aren't even sure if it will be OAR or not.
    Grouchland is not OAR. 1:13 running time, FullScreen, single-layer, no trailer (just ads for other movies, as is typical with Columbia/TriStar), brief behind-the-scene featurette and notes, and no foreign language support.
    For the Muppets, there are the folling discs so far:
    * Muppets Movie, The (1st film)
    * Muppets Caper, The Great (2nd film)
    * Muppets Take Manhattan, The (3rd film)
    * Muppets from Space (6th film)
    (The 4th & 5th films, Christmas Carol & Treasure Island - which Neil asked about - are probably going to hit later this year or perhaps early next year...they're definately in production.)
    Each run about 1½ hours, all have both FullScreen AND Anamorphic Widescreen (all using "flipper" discs except for Manhattan, which uses dual-layers, one layer with each AR), all have ads for other films but only Space has the trailer for itself, Movie & Manhattan have notes but the others don't, none have any sort of documentary, the only commentary is on Space but it's a nify video-style one like
    Ghostbusters has (with Mystery Science Theater 3000 inspired silouettes of the commentators seen at the bottom: Kermit, Gonzo, Rizzo the Rat, and the director), there's no foreign languages on Space but both French and Spanish subtitles are on the rest and both of these languages also have soundtracks on Movie and Manhattan.
    Was that crystal-clear? [​IMG]

5. David Lambert

As a separate subject, there are many Muppet-and-Sesame Street-related items out that aren't films but from the shows:

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #01: Elton John (2.14)/Julie Andrews (2.17)/Gene Kelly (5.1)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #02: Mark Hamill (4.17)/Paul Simon (5.11)/Raquel Welch (3.11)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #03: Harry Belafonte (3.14)/Linda Ronstadt (5.23)/John Denver (4.1)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #04: Peter Sellers (2.19)/John Cleese (2.23)/Dudley Moore (4.7)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #05: Alice Cooper (3.7)/Vincent Price (1.19)/Marty Feldman (5.18)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #06: Steve Martin (2.8)/Carol Burnett (5.15)/Gilda Radner (3.4)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #07: George Burns (2.10)/Dom DeLuise (2.11)/Bob Hope (2.21)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #08: Diana Ross (4.24)/Brooke Shields (5.6)/Rudolf Nureyev (2.13)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #09: James Coburn (5.5)/Sylvester Stallone (3.20)/Debbie Harry (5.9)

Muppet Show, Best of - 25th Anniversary Edition Disc #10: Roger Moore (5.24)/Edgar Bergen (2.7)/Danny Kaye (3.16)

(the Muppet Show discs are exclusively available from Time Life by mail-order; check the HTF's Bargains/Coupons section for an electronic discount coupon which I successfully used)

Sesame Street: 1-2-3 Count With Me

Sesame Street: CinderElmo

Sesame Street: Do the Alphabet

Sesame Street: Elmo Saves Christmas

Sesame Street: Elmopalooza!

Sesame Street: Elmo's Musical Adventure: The Story of Peter and the Wolf

Sesame Street: Kids' Favorite Songs 2

Sesame Street: Kids' Favorite Songs 2

Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration

Sesame Street Elmo's World

Sesame Street Elmo's World: Wild Wild West - Special Edition

Sesame Street: Computer Caper

Sesame Street: Elmo's World: Springtime Fun!

Sesame Street: The Alphabet Jungle Game

Sesame Street: The Best Of Elmo

Sesame Street: The Great Numbers Game

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I can totally confirm what David said that at least Treasure Island is 100% for certain to be in production

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Any of you as desperate for Fraggle Rock Series on DVD as I am?

-dave

8. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Is "Muppets Take Manhattan" really in mono on the DVD? The previous VHS, laserdisc and CED versions were in stereo!

10. David Lambert

David Boulet and Cynthia: My wife would kill for Fraggle Rock and The Storyteller!! [​IMG]
    Jesse, yes. Look on the back in the yellow box right under the word "Fullscreen":
    [​IMG]

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

What the heck happened??? How ironic I can't get a stereo movie in stereo, but there's a few movies originally done with mono soundtracks that I can only get with remixed stereo!!

12. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

I was recently touring MGM studios in Florida where they were in production for the next Muppet movie which will be direct to video.

I forget the name of the movie, but it will be a prequel to all other muppet movies and take place when muppet is just a small tadpole growing up. It is not a "muppet babies" spinoff per se, but it is about a young kermit.

The movie will be released this summer I think.

--Tom

13. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I could have sworn that The Muppets Take Manhattan was in 5.1 like The Muppet Movie. Guess not.

CANNOT wait for Christmas Carol, my favorite of the Muppet movies.