How are the DVDs for "Network" and "Wall Street?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ellinger, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I'm interested in picking these up, but the reviews I've read have been so-so. Any thoughts on either DVD from those who own them? Any word on special editions/re-releases?

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I have the Wallstreet that was included in the Oliver Stone Collection box set. I have no complaints with the quality of the disc. The sound is natural, and the picture transfer is nice and clean. It includes an informative little documentary. I have not yet listened to the commentary. I believe it's for sale here in Canada for about $22 Cdn, and I would not be disappointed to get it for that price.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I have both, and both are probably as good as you'll get at this point. The Wall Street disc that came as part of the Stone Boxset was great. Looks and sounds fine, and the commentary is quite good. Oliver stone is one of the few people who can keep a commentary consistently interesting for a whole movie all by himself.

As for Network, it's in Widescreen, and it's in mono, but it's network, so it must be good. Again, the transfer is OK, but nothing to write home about, but it's probably the best we'll see in the forseeable future.

4. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

"Network" was an early DVD release and as such doesn't have that great of an image because these "transfer artists" hadn't perfected their craft yet. Great movie, though...just don't spend too much on it.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think that Network is one of the poorest quality transfers in my collection. I love the film, but the picture quality of the DVD is rather disappointing.

6. Grady Reid

Grady Reid Stunt Coordinator

Grady
    "Network" was one of the first dvds I bought- and the first I returned! On my old Pioneer dv-505, the widescreen side had a lip-synch problem. Beware!

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Wallstreet is disappointing. The transfer is definitely too dark and the picture, overall, has a drab and dreary (sp.?) look that was not intended.

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I don't agree with the dark, drab and dreary comment but detail is somewhat lacking. Edges are soft and faces look a bit flat at times. Black level is decent though and the audio is fine. The commentary track is very entertaining, I've actually listened to it twice.

I seriously doubt that this movie will ever get a redo as there was virtually no hype when the DVD came out. If you listen to the commentary, Stone says that the studio was more interested in promoting another movie (I think it was Network or Broadcast News) that they had out at the time and viewed Wallstreet as a weak prospect.