What's new

How are the Dick Van Dyke sets? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I'm watching them through in order and am now at the beginning of Disc 5 of S1, and Rob has yet to trip over an ottoman in the intro or during the show (all the intros so far have been variations on the Dick Van Dyke theme music with still pictures shown).
Yes, you're quite right Ryan!

The "ottoman tripping" opening wasn't until Season 2. I was incorrect before. (Going now to slash wrists for such D.V.Dyke incompetence! :frowning:)

This would mean my "switch-a-roo" idea for the 3-D cards between S.1 and S.3 would be all the more appropriate, seeing as how the "ottoman" opening isn't used at all in Season 1.

I was thinking to myself before that the ottoman opening DID go into effect mid-way through season 1. But, I was mistaken. For, the "switch" in openings I was thinking of was, in reality, that the music ONLY changed (after 14 episodes in S.1). But the "pictures-strewn-on-desk" visuals remained. I humbly apologize. ;)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David VP for the correction on the season of the jury show. I was going by memory on this one (and after watching the 1st two seasons over the past couple of months, they started to run together :)).

I don't know if Carl Reiner had any ownership of the series. I would guess "yes" if only because he was the creator and it was through his diligent efforts over several years that this show ever materialized.

Apparently Mr. Van Dyke himself did have some ownership of the series. I watched a "Headliners and Legends" show over the weekend on MSNBC on his life and his ownership was mentioned (plus the fact it made him quite financially secure which made ending the show an easier decision).

I have a book on order from Amazon that details the history of the show. I've thumbed through it at my local Borders and it appears to go into great detail of the show's history and production (as opposed to being merely an episode by episode synopsis). (The author was interviewed as part of the MSNBC show I mentioned above.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I have a book on order from Amazon that details the history of the show. ...
Paul...You'll absolutely love that book. It's great. I read it in two sittings. Some very interesting behind-the-scenes stuff in there. A perfect "companion" to the DVDs of the program (IMO).

BTW...The very first "Amazon Review" of that book is one by me. (Needless to say, I gave it 5 Stars.) :)

Another really good book on the Dick Van Dyke Show is THIS ONE. This one is more of a "coffee table" / picture book. But interesting nonetheless. Much of the material in these two volumes is somewhat redundant, but they're both worthy of purchase, IMHO. This second one has many pictures I'd never seen before. PLUS -- a section which contains 500 Trivia Questions!

The large trivia section is very fun to play around with, and practically represents a "Trivial Pursuit: The Van Dyke Show Edition". :)

A couple of good Trivia examples......

Q#97: What was Sally's favorite deli sandwich?

Q#61: In "Remember The Alimony", Rob & Laura file for divorce. How much did it cost?

And one I could add to the book (I don't think it's among the 500):

DVP Q: How many individual hairs does Rob find in the sink at the beginning of "I'd Rather Be Bald Than Have No Head At All"? :) :)

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Thanks for that book link, it should make an excellent companion to having the complete series on DVD (eventually) and give me something to do as I wait for S3 once I finish S1 & S2. :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Ryan ... I don't see either DVD-on-DVD set listed on your "Profiler" page. ???

Time to update it, I guess, eh? :D

Sometimes it IS hard to remember to add DVDs to the "Profiler". I hate it when I forget one. Because then I'm thinking: "What else did I forget to add in?"

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Ryan ... I don't see either DVD-on-DVD set listed on your "Profiler" page. ???

Time to update it, I guess, eh?

Sometimes it IS hard to remember to add DVDs to the "Profiler". I hate it when I forget one. Because then I'm thinking: "What else did I forget to add in?"
Yeah, I actually haven't been keeping up on it at all :frowning:. There's quite a few DVD's that I've bought that I haven't added to my DVD Profiler yet...I did however just find an old CueCat so I may try that route when I get some time. Don't even get me started on my Videogame collection and 2003 film list...they each need massive updates all their own ;). Thankfully, more free time is coming up.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I finally pried open my wallet and ponied up for these sets. So far, I've only watched the pilot, the first episode, and a handful of features.

This is my all-time favorite show.

And I've never been more satisfied with a DVD purchase; this is the jewel of my collection.

Season One is on the shelf. Santa is bringing me Season Two (I know, 'cause he already bought it). :D

DVD rules.

Jon

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
From what outlet did ya get it, Jon? E-tailer? Best Buy? CC?

If a B&M, do the Van Dyke sets still have a nice presence on the shelves? I hope they're right out front. I should think these sets would sell very well during this holiday season. (Especially with that rebate offer staring each customer square in the face. Even the most "el cheapo" of TV-on-DVD fans should find them hard
to resist.) :D

The rebate offer IS listed on them, right (via a sticker on the front)? I've forgotten.

DVD rules.
This has a double-faceted meaning amongst the DVD-on-DVD fans here. :)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
EDIT: You know, I just thought...What with those "3-D Inserts" being "removable" cards, fans who want the cards to "match" or line up perfectly with the individual seasons could actually just switch the Season 1 motion card with the Season 3, since the "jury" ep. is really from S.1. This would then have S.3 containing the scene of Rob tripping over the ottoman, which was used in all 5 seasons I believe (so it'd be appropriate for any of the boxed sets).

See... I've got some gray matter up there after all, huh?
You crack me up, Dave! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just S3 next. S4 2 months after, and S5 2 months after that.

I think. Right now I'm still reeling from the news that NewsRadio was delayed.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just S3 next. S4 2 months after, and S5 2 months after that. I think.
Yes indeedy.
At least that's what Image has told two of us HTF members recently. ......

Should line up like this:

Season 3: February 24.

Season 4: April 27.

Season 5: June 29.

Plus -- (Supposedly) three "extra" discs containing three different Dick Van Dyke Specials, including 1969's "Dick Van Dyke And The Other Woman", with MTM. :)

(I'm still hoping some of these full specials just might show up on the Season 4 or Season 5 boxed sets. Guess not on S.3, though, since we've now got the specs on that one.)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Paul Brownstein: "One of Dick Van Dyke's specials has over 60 pieces of music, because there were medleys and little snippets and performances of Broadway show tunes, so you add that all up, and it becomes impossible to release."
So it certainly doesn't look good for that to be an extra. Then again, knowing Paul, it could just end up as a hidden feature--as did certain cigarette commercials that were covertly added to the current releases. ;)

Where did you see that these were coming out on DVD?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You crack me up, Dave! :emoji_thumbsup:
[elvis ON]Thank you. Thank you very much.[/elvis OFF] :)

I'm currently working on a deal with Image Entertainment, Inc., which will garner me several "Custom-made" DVD Slipcases for Seasons 3 thru 5 --- each showing Laura Petrie in a variety of erotic poses.

Now THAT'D be cover "art"!!! :D :D :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Randy, for the Van Dyke info. That's kinda bad news (for now). :frowning:

Where did you see that these were coming out on DVD?
It's been on the DVD-on-DVD site for two years now. .........

>> "The specials will each be on its own disc:

The Color Special, "Dick Van Dyke and the Other Woman (Mary Tyler Moore)", which aired on CBS April 13, 1969.

"The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered" hosted by Charles Kuralt for CBS in 1995

and "Inside the Dick Van Dyke Show", produced by TVLAND for their Fandemonium Marathon in 2000."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
DVD-on-DVD.com is still showing these bits of info as well. Still wonder if this price is set in stone. ??? ......

>> "4. You will be able to purchase one disk, a boxed season, or the whole collection. For serious collectors, we will offer a limited edition consisting of all the disks, special material, and some personally autographed items, all encased in a "flip-top" ottoman, just like the one DVD trips over (most of the time!) in the opening credits.

5. We intend to make the price of each disk and the collection reasonable. At this time, we're estimating a cost of $799 with easy monthly payment options available. For this price, you'll get all 158 episodes, the bonus disks, the special DVD Ottoman, and some additional collectibles. You will also be able to purchase the disks without the Ottoman in boxed sets, as well as individual disks, all at very reasonable prices.

6. No, we will NOT be colorizing this classic show! It will be preserved in living Black and White. Only the specials and any new material originally presented in color will be released in color.

7. You will also be able to download episodes online for a very reasonable fee."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks