What's new

How are "The Darkness" doing in the states? :) (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
The Darkness are what the critics may call an "old skool" British rock band. They hit big in the UK in 2003 after a few years of touring very hard. I hear they have been in the USA trying to break into the market over there. Any news on how the americans have taken to them?

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i saw a clip of their video on mtv as buzzworthy or something like that, but i thought they were pretty lame. of course i prefer bands that rocks just a bit more.

Second Unit
The problem The Darkness are having with many critics is that most think they are taking the piss. If you have fun nowadays you must be taking the piss otherwise surely you'd want to be more like Chris Martin or Thom Yorke (note sarcasm :) ). The Darkness are a band that belong in the live arena. I think thats where the USA will make their descision. I don't know why their music videos suck. I guess live is more their thing. :D

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
hey, you are talking to someone who really enjoyed andrew wk's first album (the wolf, however, sucked greatly). and if anyone is the definition of a musically bad band who are still awesome beccause they just rock out and have a lot of fun its andrew wk.

dont take my review of them real serious. the first time i ever heard of them was on new years from a friend who said they rocked (however, i know him to have questionable taste in music). then the next day i saw a ten second or so clip of their music video. that clip i thought was fairly weak. if i run across some mp3s ill give them another listen.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
My local Best Buy has space for about 15 copies of thier album and it is currently empty and the store had 40 on order. I don't know if that is a nationwide trend, but that tells me that they are doing pretty good. David, I too think they are pretty weak.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Craig .. i liked The Darkness from the first time I heard them ... at least the few singles on the radio. But having heard the complete record ... I can say there is a lot of filler on it.

And for the life of me I cannot figure out if they are a "real" band or a joke ... but regardless, they can certainly rock and bring some much needed light heartedness to todays' gloomy rock scene.

More power to them ...

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I will say this with no regret, The Darkness are the worst band to come out in the last 20 years anywhere. If they are supposed to be more like a Spinal Tap I would understand a tiny bit, but if this is for real? Jesus Tap Dancin Christ.

Andrew W.K. is Mozart compared to these bafoons. And W.K. was on my worst ever list before.

My opinion, so hopefully people don't get mad at me for stating the truth.:)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i dont know enough about the darkness to continue to talk about them, but i can be an andrew wk apologist, at least for "i get wet".

i dont know anyone who actually thought andrew wk is putting out musically challenging music, but i'll be damned if there is another band out there, other than perhaps the murder city devils, that i enjoy rocking out to more when i am drunk, and that is the whole of the allure of andrew wk.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I have Permission to Land. I think it's got some great songs with some catchy hooks and melodies. Of course, everyone I let listen to it complains about the singer's voice. To me he sounds like a mix of Robert Smith of The Cure and Freddie Mercury. And yes, the videos are cheesy as hell. But it is nice to hear some decent guitar solos in rock again. And the music is fun, unlike a lot of the whiny nu-metal that's out there now.

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Just grabbed this album and have to confess...I love it! The only 2 songs that sound like filler to me are Stuck in a Rut and Love on the Rocks with No Ice (great title though!) I dunno, the songs just put a big smile on my face and that's important...and the guitar solos get me everytime...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I work for Target...we have "...Thing Called Love" on our new in-store videos. We had it on sale for $7.98 or $8.98 and blew them out! I think they will be HUGE in the Midwest especially.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
They seem to be getting MTV2 support, and I am hearing them on the radio.

Personally, I originally thought they were a hair band spoof.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Thank God they left San Francisco!!!
Even that video "We built this City" showed El Lay.Best thing to leave the City since Charlie Manson.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Looks like a pretty good buzz is building since their album jumped from #92 to #39 on the Billboard charts. Not bad at all.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator

Oh man. I rolled for about a minute after reading that.

I naturally assumed that the darkness was a joke. If that's a serious attempt at rock, then I'm not impressed, either. That's just embarassing.

Second Unit
The UK media is telling us that "The Darkness" are doing very well in the states. Their looking like being on the same level as "Radiohead", "Dido", "Coldplay" etc. Start of a new Brit invasion perhaps? (oh wait our music scene is dieing :frowning: ).

I hope the lads do well. I've heard their great live and all they want to do is put the fun back in music. Kind of like a "Sweet" for the noughties. Whats wrong with that? Long live Glam rock! :D

PS- I like "We Built This City On Rock and Roll" and "Nothings Gonna Stop Us know". 80's classics. :)

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
I recently saw The Darkness in Concert in Australia. (The Big Day out)

I thought they rocked. Very impressed. Very tight. and fun.

I bought there album and it brings a smile to my face everytime I listen to it.

CockRock lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks