What's new

How are the AB Blue Collar('78) & Out of the Blue('81) dvds quality?? (1 Viewer)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I was over at Sam Goody today & happened to find a bargan bin(to my suprise,since they sell everything full price!)-while flipping through the shelves i found copies of Blue Collar & Out of the Blue for $4.99 each! Funny part is,they also had a few copies of the films in the Drama section for $25-$29!!
Though when i payed for them,it came to only $6 & on my receipt said $2.99 each! Though that was probably because of using my replay card & getting $5 off.
They are 1999 discs & i was wondering if the quality is good or not. Since AB was just fixing up there dvd troubles at the time,so i never bothered buying any of there discs until then.
I've only seen alittle of Blue Collar on tv & it seems like a pretty good film, Out of the Blue, i have'nt seen or heard of at all(though Dennis Hoppers stars & directs),but it looked interesting & i thought what the hell,it's only $4,might as well give it a look.
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on November 15, 2001 at 07:36 PM]

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Both of these films are excellent. I can't believe the bargains you found on those! Two of my favorite films, I wish I was that lucky. Both are hard-hitting dramas that are represented well on DVD for films of their vintage.
Prior to the DVD, OUT OF THE BLUE was available as a lowly EP VHS tape (and a crappy Media SP release years ago) and so the DVD is a revelation. It was shot on a very low budget, but the print used for the DVD is pretty pristine. The sound stills leaves much to be desired tho, and there are no subtitles. There is also a very interesting commentary with Dennis Hopper, the producer, and distributor of the film, a trailer, and a great radio spot with Jack Nicholson. Unfortunately, star Linda Manz is nowhere to be found. This is a downbeat, gritty film (in every sense of the word), but I think it's one of the best of the decade. And it captures the punk aesthetic like very few films have.
BLUE COLLAR is the stellar directorial debut of writer-director Paul Schrader with three great "lead" (listen to the commentary, you'll understand) performances from Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel, and Yaphet Kotto (a highly underused actor). I don't have many complaints with this DVD. Features a commentary with film scholar Maitland McDonough and Paul Schrader and the trailer. It is a Universal title and like many of theirs from the period, some music was changed for home video because music rights were not properly negotiated for the video market. Unfortunately, the DVD does not correct this (or note it on the package.) In any event, it is not vital to the film and is not as drastic as in some other cases (FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, for example.)
Jon

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,Blue Collar came on Bravo last year or so. But like there showing of Brazil,it had horrible low sound,that i could'nt sit through the whole thing.
Where the music rights sorted out for the Fast Times dvd? I never knew of that. Though that should be no suprise since it's happened to lots of fimls from that time,but since i was just born in 1980- i caught them all on tv or video & never knew of any changes.
Well i'll give the movies a watch when i have time. So far working at Best Buy is killing me,since i can't stay up late anymore since i have to get up at 3am. So that means alot of dvd watching(+ going out) ect is gone,ulness i watch some durring the afternoon sometimes,but it's not as fun. I think,i'm gonna start looking for another job.....so i'm able to still have a life.
They also had FM(never seen,but always wanted to) for $4.99 & another movie-some type of girl gang,explotation flick from the 70's by AB. I forgot the title,but i think i'll check it out sometime.The rest of the bargin bin was just crappy Madacy,Diamond ect releases wihch i'll gladly skip.
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on November 16, 2001 at 10:56 AM]

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Christina,
Blue Collar's been a favorite of mine since I saw it in its theatrical release way back when. An emotional, tight drama that received critical praise but seems to have been forgotten. Outstanding performances by the three leads, including the best work I've seen of Richard Pryor.
Let me know if you don't like it and want to unload it!
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks