What's new

How are JVC DVD players these days? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
In the past I've read a lot of horror stories about JVC DVD players. I'm wondering if the new ones, like the XV-S60BK, have improved. Are the glitches gone?

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have one of the new JVCs, and was also concerned in light of past problems.
In 2 months of use I've had only one problem, and that was minor.
When playing the commentary track on Phantom Menace, there's supposed to be a subtitle display telling you who's speaking. It didn't work on the JVC.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I guess this forum is about personal opinion, but I really don't know why John would stay away from JVC. I have had the JVC XV-723GD progressive scan dvd audio player for about 1 year, and it has been by far one of the best upgrades I have ever made for my home theater. An I might add one of the least expensive. I paid $299 for it and got a great progressive scan picture and dvd-audio. I heard that the new models they just came out with are just as good. So, I would definately look at JVC dvd players.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Tried the JVC 62SL, which is the same with XV-S60BK..compared with Tosh SD 3750. Winner? JVC...better picture, more adjustments can be done and better remote and remote functions.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I landed my first JVC product a month ago, the XV-S60 progressive scan. I put it up against the RP56 and NS700p and for a progressive picture it was the winner. Build quality is equal to that of Sony, very solid unlike the RP56.
So far I am very impressed with this DVD player. Maybe in the past JVC has had a bad rap, but things can change. A great DVD player at $229.00 (local B&M).
Peace Out~:D

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Eric,

Interesting. I had the 3750, but got rid of it due to the digital audio dropout issue. I couldn't live with it. Got the S60 as the replacement. I have to say, I felt the 3750 had a slight edge in terms of picture quality. But I suspect the S60 does a better reproduction, if that makes any sense... Toshiba have found a nice balance between detail and too much detail which appealed to me.

Martin.

I have the JVC 721BK DVD player with DVD-A and progressive scan. I have had it about 6 months...I am very pleased, no problems what-so-ever and a great picture using component cables to Sony 10HT.

Steve

RogerB

Second Unit
My JVC XV-723GD has worked flawlessly since I got it in March. I have lots of pther JVC gear (2 VCR's, tape deck, car stereo/CD changer) and have never had a problem. The first VCR I ever bought - nearly 20 years ago!!! - was a JVC and it still works great and never been repaired.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the comments! I'll bring this up once more incase there is anyone else that can add anything.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Excellent. I own a JVC 723 and it delivers a very high quality progressive scan picture. The player also re-formats letterbox 4 x 3 to anamorphic 16 x 9. Really improves the picture quality on many letterbox DVD's such as Armageddon, The Abyss, Jack Ryan Series. And for those DVD's not flagged correctly the player's zoom can be used to manually reformat leterbox DVD's to 16x9. This player has it all.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I also have a JVC 721BK DVD player (twin to the 723) and have been happy with it so far. The ONLY major complaint I have is NO DISCRETE ON/OFF CODES! It uses a toggle on/off, which means if you use a system off button from your remote to shut your system down, if the DVD player is off, it will turn ON!! :frowning: Using a Radio Shack 1994 remote as a go-between, I have my Home Theater Master MX-500 setup perfectly except for powering off the DVD player from the system off button. When I have to replace my DVD player, I WILL choose one with DISCRETE codes next time!
Otherwise this is an excellent piece of equipment.
Pete

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Does the XV-S60BK have the ability to show info about the time elapsed and remaining for a given chapter and the entire feature? I've gone over the very sparse manual a half a dozen times but see nothing about it. I can't imagine that a DVD player wouldn't be able to do this so I figure I must have missed it. Also, does it have the ability to turn off the front panel display?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I just got an SA75GD (region free) and the picture is awesome. I've only watched PAL dvds transcoded (it does it automagically) to NTSC on my 65" mits with it.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Ellen, mine does not and I couldn't find any reference to that in my Manual. I cannot believe that Panasonic and JVC do not do this. That is the best feature about my Toshiba.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I too own the fine XV-D723GD player.Great progressive picture(with auto formatting for16x9 T.V.s)and DVD audio for $295.00.Their new 7 disc progressive changer looks promising too.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 75 but I don't think it's region free. Is there a firmware update for it? Or is it region free and I just didn't know it

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I cannot believe that Panasonic and JVC do not do this. That is the best feature about my Toshiba.
Mark, I agree. I can't believe that this isn't a standard feature on every DVD player. Even my crappy old VCR does it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks