1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How are high def. programs displayed on a widescreen TV??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRH, Oct 31, 2001.

1. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Are all HD programs displayed with bars on top/bottom and both sides?

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    High-Definition TV is in 16:9 (1.78:1). A widescreen set is the same ratio. So there are no black bars on a HD TV program (sports or whatever).
    Now, film-based sources like movies may be in a wider aspect ratio such as 2.35:1, in which case there will be black bars top and bottom when broadcast correctly in HD. Or if an older 4:3 (1.33:1) movie was broadcast in HD it would correctly have side black bars. All this is just like with DVD. Except HBO-HD crops the wider movies to fit the 16:9 screen so there are no black bars. Just about as bad as current pan-n-scan hacking of movies for presentation on 4:3 TVs.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Native HD (1.78x1) programs fill the screen.
    Where on earth did you get the idea that HD might be windowboxed?
    Todd

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

From another forum. I thought it sounded strange so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks a lot, guys.

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

It is true that NATIVE HD is 16:9, and will fill your screen. However, there have been reports on other forums that some stations simply upconvert NTSC material, and that on some TVs this results in a window boxed presentation. It has been awhile since I read this, and I do not recall where, but I do remember reading this.

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

George,
    That's exactly what I read. It seems reasonable enough to me that not all content has to be enhanced for widescreen tvs to still be HD but what do I know??

7. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Yes, some shows are shown in 1080i but is 4:3. So you have bars on the sides of the pictures.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Upconverted 4/3 shows on my one local ota station and on HBOHD are presented with black bars on the sides only. If a commercial that would be letterboxed on a 4/3 set comes on, it's got bars top and bottom also.
    HBO-HD is no longer mutilating all 2:35 movies to eliminate black bars, by the way. I've seen several 2:35 movies on HBO-HD with black bars on my widescreen set.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.