How Are CableCards Working Out?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Edward, Jul 3, 2005.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My new TV (Mits WS-65815) has a CableCard slot, and I'm just wondering if anyone has experience in how well it works vs a component connection for both HD and SD.

Thanks for info...

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    The only reason I haven't tried one of these yet myself is this: CableCards are a one way device only. No Pay Per View. No On Demand.

I'll be interested to see this thread develop as well. I'd like to know what kind of prices cable companies are charging and overall experiences as well.

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    My parents tried a card in their new Mitsu DLP for HD and it was terrible...SLOWWWWW channel changing, no Guides, no PPV.

Totally a waste of money IMHO.

I had them swicth to a HD DVR with DVI and things are great now.

4. Mike Gov

Mike Gov Stunt Coordinator

I am very happy with my CableCard in my Sony KDP-57WS655 RPTV. It is FREE thru Comcast and I still use a dual tuner DVR.

5. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

I have one in my Samsung, and it's great. Cost is $1.75 a month. I chose the cable card over a box because 1)I don't want/need video on demand, 2)my tv has the tv guide built in,3)1 less piece of equipment & fewer cables 4)cheaper than a box/dvr. Just a few examples of why I chose the cable card. I also see no slow down on channel changes.

6. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    p.s.

If you are going without a DVR in these days and times, you're really missing out IMO!

[​IMG]

7. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Alf S, I don't think so. There isn't enough quality programming to justify a dvr for ME. The only time I would benefit would be college football season. If theres something that important to watch, I'll catch it live. Just my 2 cents worth.[​IMG]

8. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Aaron, I felt the same way until we purchased DirectTV with Tivo; now we're constantly searching for things to record and watch when we have time. This will really be used once the NFL Sunday Ticket season starts! [​IMG]