What's new

How appropriate would "Roots" be for a fifth grade class? (4 Viewers)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Wow. I had never heard that, Joshua. Thanks for pointing that out. He plagered a lot of the book from a 1967 novel called "The African."
But I still think it's a great miniseries because, even though the early chapters are fictional (Haley did trace his ancestry in the US, but was probably unable to trace it back to Africa), the events it depicts really did happen to millions of slaves. But you can read all about the hoax right here, and elsewhere on the web:
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...ists/39097.htm

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The book was "required" reading for me in a mostly white elementary school.

With all of the sex, violence, and language seen and heard through all sources of media today (and heard/seen on the street), this is quite tame and I am sure gifted 10-11 year old children can comprehend the movie without a problem.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Alex Haley was a great man and a fantastic storyteller. He did not "make it all up" as some reports claimed. He did admit that some of Roots was fictionalized for dramatic purposes, but that does not diminish the impact or power of the story and its influence over this country. The fact that Roots remains the most watched dramatic program in television history (with close to 90% of all homes with televisions tuning in at least once during its eight night run)and the fact that it inspired many (myself included) to search out their own roots is a powerful testament to its success as a both a story and a cultural phenomenon.

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
I think "Roots" would be fine for the students...

However, you should be more concerned about the parents!

In today's PC world, parents get far too upset, far too easily... at least about the wrong things. Something like this is very strong. But it does teach appropriate values.

I agree, you might want to get parental consent forms for all children, otherwise it's a no go... or otherwise, find yourself in front of the principal and the school board because of some whiny, religious-right parent who doesn't want their kid to see some boobies on TV (on an African native) because it will give their child "evil, impure thoughts". (oops. bit of a rant, there)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks