How am I getting these channels?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom*T, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Tom*T

Tom*T Agent

As of yesterday I am the proud owner of a Sony KDF-55WF655 and I am loving it! I have regular analog cable (coaxial from wall into TV) and no external antenna. Based on my location and the poor AM/FM reception I figured there would be little hope of getting OTA HD even with an antenna on the roof. To my surprise after running the auto-channel setup it found all the Digital and HD stations in my area (as per antennaweb.com). I now see what all the fuss is about - the HD picture on these TV is beautiful. I was up to 2AM watching HD-Discovery and PBS-HD nature shows. I'm not complaining but, how do I get these channels? When I hit the ANT/Cable button on the remote (to go to Antenna input) I get nothing. In regular cable mode I'm in HD heaven!

2. John S

John S Producer

The channels are not broadcast channels. Your cable provider does not scramble their HD content, and as with some others they provide it free. Pretty cool huh???

For you the tuner and auto setup / find features of the display you picked have paid off big time!!!

3. Tom*T

Tom*T Agent

Pretty cool is right! Let's hope they don't change their minds.....

If I run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver will I get DD 5.1 on digital and HD broadcast?

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Tom, I've got the 42" WE model, and was pleasently surprised, like you, to find all those music channels and the HD for free when I hooked up my TV.

And yes, if you run an optical cable you'll have 5.1

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

You should, if your TV has an optical out and the broadcast is in DD (some HD broadcasts are not).

6. Tom*T

Tom*T Agent

Wow! Is that on every digital/HD broadcast or only selected events (Superbowl, World Series, etc.)?

7. Tom*T

Tom*T Agent

I guess I picked the right HDTV considering the poor OTA reception in this area. And Jeff you answered my second question about DD not being on every HD broadcast.

Thanks!
    Tom

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

do you get output from the optical out only if it's broadcast in 5.1 or do you also get stereo output for "regular" cable channels too?

9. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

You'll get digital sound out of the digital output only. You'll have to run analog audio to your reciever for the analog channels.

Also, you won't always get 5.1 on the digital channels. Sometimes it's digtal stereo.

10. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

thanks. I hate that you have to disable the set's speakers in order to use the analog out sound. I always use my receiver but when I like being able to use the set sound when my mother visits since she doesn't know how to use the receiver. My current Wega tube also has monitor outputs which let me use the both.