How am I doing with this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CollinMorphew, Aug 28, 2002.

1. CollinMorphew

CollinMorphew Stunt Coordinator

Aug 26, 2002
    I got turned on to this site by and Ebay auction I was looking at. The guy said this was the place for me to look around and learn more than I already knew (which after being here I soon found out was not much). Was he ever right--I think I'm actually addicted to reading things that sometimes have no bearing on me or what I'm doing--they just sound interesting! Anyway--here is the breakdown and I'm looking for positive reinforcement (eliminate partial buyer remorse), thoughts and/or next steps--anything to feel like I'm doing things right and I have a good set up. Here is what I currently run:

TV Sony XBR Videoscope 53" (best TV I've seen that is not HDTV)
    Speakers Bose AM 10 (I can already feel the wrath--but see below)
    Bass Mod Bose
    Sub Sony XM40 (Even I could tell I needed something)
    DVD Sony SV-530 (I believe correct model-at work while posting)
    Receiver Sony STR-835 (I believe correct model-at work while posting)

Now--here's what I'm doing on upgrade:

TV No current plans
    Speakers JBL S-Center (Bose going into Bedroom)
    JBL S38 Right and Left
    JBL S36 Right/Left Back Right/Left Surround
    Sub JBL PB12 (Sony going into Bedroom)
    DVD Haven't decided yet--maybe Progessive Scan for future with Sony going into Bedroom. (Denon 1600 ??)
    Receiver Pioner VSX-811 (After spending time on here and other sites--couldn't find one reviewed stereo with better marks for the cost--some "higher" ends had less consistency and power for 2x the $$ and it supports the power across 7.1)

Anyway--that's my first post. Just wondering what else I should do (amp, DVD players, etc.) Praise me, shred me or somewhere in between--looking for anything. I'm thinking this is going to be a great set up for now and the future when I have more room. I'm in an apartment right now so I hope to be the even more ostracized neighbor in two weeks. Plus, the Bose setup (IMO) sounded great with the sub addition--in the Bedroom it's going to be even better--especially with how much I like the JBL's.

Anyway--no matter what--great site and people.
  2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Mar 10, 2001
    Everything looks good to me except the 100hz crossover of the 811 bugs me a little and I'd be looking at a different sub. Hsu VTF2, Adire Rava, DIY. Panasonic makes some good inexpensive progressive scan DVD players as well.