How am I doing with my BFD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I'd appreciate some feedback from you folks who've done this before. I feel a bit uncertain setting the bandwidth parameter.
    I find the peak of the freq. (dB), then see how wide the peak is (Hz), then convert from Hz to fractional octaves for the width.
    For instance: a peak at 46 hz with the valley to the left bottoming at 40 Hz.. I figure +/- 6 Hz... or 8/60ths octave. ((8/60)*46). Is this the way you guys figure the bandwidth?
    Anyway, using the right front corner since it gave the flattest response, I set up 3 filters and fumbled my way to this:
    [​IMG]
    If the graph doesn't come up, try this link.
    At this point, understanding that I'm expecting an improved sound, I am pleased with my first efforts. I was hoping to get less of a sawtooth effect, and probably can once I get comfy with adjusting the parameters of the BFD.
    Next up: eq for the LF corner.. and then decide which corner sounds best. [​IMG]
    Edit: corrected the corner placement to the RIGHT (not left) front corner. sheesh.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Can't see your graphs.

The bandwidth is expressed as a fraction, 20/60= 1/3 octave, 40/60= 2/3 octave, 10/60= 1/6 octave, etc....

3. Rick Radford

4. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

To see the images, right click on the "broken" pics and choose properties. Then copy the entire picture address and paste it in your browser, then hit enter, and viola! Now you can see! [​IMG]

5. Rick Radford

Anyone have an idea what causes a broken pic? I don't understand why the img function works erratically for me.

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Jeffery's trick works, but all of a sudden the pic appeared in the thread also. Anyway,

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rick,

Post your un-equalized 1/6-octave readings here and I’ll tell you how to set your BFD.

If you haven’t already, put your sub in a corner, the one with the longest uninterrupted wall length in both directions. This will give the highest output and the smoothest response, and should have minimal “sawtooth” readings.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Rick Radford

Brian, thanks for the feedback.
    Regarding the graphs.. they would not come up at all for me today.. even if I clicked on the link. But when I browsed to the graph on my geoCities site and left it up while I came back here, then the msg showd the graph. What's up with that? Anyone know? (I only tried with Opera 6.0 today).

9. Rick Radford

Wayne,
    I completely missed your post. I musta been cranking out my epic response to Brian and just missed seeing yours. Sorry!

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rick,

I don’t know if it’s my computer, but I can’t get any of your diagrams to open. Will the ETF program let you save a response plot to a document that you could e-mail to me?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Rick Radford

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rick,

That will be fine. Bring it on!

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt