What's new

How About the Toshiba 42H82? (1 Viewer)

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any experience with this television? I'm thinnking of getting one. Anything else in this price catergory, I can get it real cheap from a friend who works at a store. Thanks for any input.

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
The 42HDX82 isn't "newer", it's just the next model up in this years line. They're both from the same model year.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I have last year's 42H81, and I love it. The new models are better, and the HDX series is better than the H series.

Go for it!

Jan

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Jan Strnad
on your Toshiba what did you have to do to fit a center channel speaker to fit on top of the TV w/o falling off (if you have a center channel)? I really like to get the 42H82,, but I am worried about my center channel speaker not fitting on top. :frowning:
The size of my center channel is: 8 1/2" x 24" x 10" (height x width x depth) Do you think that size would fit ok??
Thanks for the feedback.

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
I was just looking at that tv again yesterday and there is no way that center is going to fit. It is very narrow on top, then slopes down to get a little wider in the back. The total depth of the whole tv is 19 inches, at the top it would be too narrow for that center. However, if you are creative and crafty, you can mount something to create a platform for the center. You need to look at it.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Modena,
I actually looked at it twice yesterday and I figure it would not fit at least safely on top of the Toshiba. I can't risk it if my pwr sub basses then shakes the wall and Bang.... the center falls off the tv onto the floor. I had it happen before w/ a cheapO center and it was fuuny... lucky no1 was at my house to see that.
:D
I do want the toshiba from the reviews I see,, but either like you said I have to maybe get creative and maybe buy some self to put on the back of the wall above the TV screen... or just move up to the little bigger 16:9 Toshiba 50H82 ,, I know for sure that one will fit my center channel speaker.
:)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Mike,
I was at a Linens 'n' Things store and noticed this plastic shelf built for a direct view TV. It had adjustable back legs to accomodate the slope of the set, and I figured I could use it on my Toshiba.
As it turned out, I only used the front half of the shelf, and it seems to work great.
Just about anything could be used as a shelf, though. You just have to add legs to the back.
Here's a pic.
Jan

Rich Chiavaroli

Stunt Coordinator
There's a thread over at avsforum where a guy built a stand for the center channel for this TV. He has all the specs there. Unfortunately I don't have the link at the moment.. but try searching over there and see what you come up with.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Thanks all for the info. Today I went to BB and about 2 hours of Back to back on there line of 42" to 47" HDTVs, brands like Toshiba, Samsung and Panasonic. I really wanted to toshiba,, but I felt 1599.00 was a little more then I wanted to spend, but after a hard decision... I grabbed the HCM-4215W Sansung 42". I love the easy setup menu and the manual selection to pick the screen format I wanted to view at. The remote is really nice. The only thing I did not like is the TV is black/dark grey and the remote was silver ,,, but oh well. Its universal.
I will have the samsung deliverd to my house on Monday. I can't wait to get it.

now I plan to get a speakerstand that will extend high and put the center channel speaker in the rear of the TV. I think it will look great when I get done with it.
I'll post feed-back.

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
Nice, let me know how everything goes, especially the stand. I got this reply from another forum, it should help you feel better about your purchase. I'm actually looking at the Hitachi 43" now.

================================================== =======

"I recommend that you don't buy the Toshiba, if you plan on watching regular TV channels (especialy CNN) on this TV. Here's why I say this, I purchased a 57HDX82 Toshiba, in September, and in December, I noticed that I had an image burned into my screen (I noticed it while watching my IceAge DVD) The image burned onto my screen is the white band from CNN! I watched about 40 minutes of CNN 5 nights a week, so about 40 hours total. This is Crap, as my old RCA 50" tv (5 yrs old) was used for 100's and 100's of hours of CNN viewing after 9/11, and their is no image burned on that screen at all. So don't buy the toshiba, unless you want your heart (and wallet) to be broken like mine."

================================================== ========

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
To follow up, that guy dealt with Toshiba and Best Buy and they will not replace the TV, they said it will be 600 to fix it. He used the sleep timer for 40 mintues when he went to bed and it burned in the image.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Modena,
That message is crap. Here's why: This is hardly a Toshiba-specific problem. Burn-in happens to every set if you don't take care of it, if you have the contrast set too high, if you aren't careful with tickers, etc.
Blaming Toshiba is like crashing your car into a tree and then blaming Ford. :)
Hitachi is a good set, but he's giving you a really bad reason to buy one, especially if you think that the Hitachi will be immune to burn-in...or any less susceptible to it than the Tosh.
Negatives on Hitachi: Stretch modes are not as good as Tosh (which makes a difference if you watch standard TV) and color fidelity is not as good, tending to push green so that lawns and foliage and football fields have a kind of lime-green color.
I don't know what forum that guy is on, but if somebody doesn't jump down his ass (as I have done here), I'd be surprised. :)
Jan

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Modena,
Jan Strnad is correct. I have this dvd called "Home & Vision home theater tune up" and it explains allot of issues how a tube can go out and why. Just like the burn image. As for Toshiba,,, its not only toshiba. I would say that you had either both or one of the seletions on your screen setting too high which like Jan Strnad said Contrast, Sharpness and tint also.
Those 3 can do big damage not to just a projection screen,, but to tube TVs also.
But that sucks man. I am glad I got the 4 year service plan on my new HDTV
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Mike,

Thanks for the support!

I have to point out, though, that even an extended warranty won't cover burn-in. It's considered "abuse."

In most cases, it's the networks and their damn logos and tickers that are the "abusers," but you still get stuck for the bill.

Jan

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
My main problem isn't with the problem of the tv, it's this: It seems when it comes to projection tv's, nobody wants to let the consumer know about this information and then when a problem arises, it's nobody's fault except the buyer. For example, if I had not spent time researching and hanging around these forums, I would have no clue that burn in can happen. So, for the regular buyer, they purchase a television and don't touch any settings, after all, it came from the factory this way, then they put it in their house and use it on CNN (they should be able to watch and channel after spending x amount of dollars) and they get a burn in image. Now when they call Toshiba they say tough luck, Best Buy says tough luck, you should have turned down the settings that came from the factory? Does that make sense? I personally am sick and tired of the way this industry works, you need calibration to have good picture after spending 3 g's, there is a tradeoff between 16:9 and 4:3, there are 5 or so HDTV formats, some come over the air, some through satellite, the future is this, the future is that, DVD-/+ RAM/ROM, and on and on and on. Why they misinform the target buyer is beyond me.
The attitude is that if you don't spend a shitload of time researching everything that is happening, it's your fault. That's ludicrous. If you buy a Ford and it's tuned so that it runs terrible and breaks, it's not the consumer's fault, it's Ford. And they replace it, they don't tell you you're screwed.
But thanks for the info. I basically have no clue what to get anymore. I will tell you this, if I take good care of my RPTV and any company tells me I'm SOL, you can bet your bottom dollar they are going to replace it. You just gotta keep movin up the ladder until someone can get it done.
And I read this over at Sound and Vision Mag Forums:
http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/...?ubb=forum&f=2

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Modena I hear ya man. I think it sucks that you mention about researching before you buy. I myself never in my mind what a BURN IN was (L0L)!!. But I can tell you since now I got the "Home & Vision home theater tune up" dvd I now know what to do and not. IMHO... I think every shop that sells a expensive a$$ TV needs to given this dvd "Home & Vision home theater tune up" for customers or at least the sales rep at the store needs to highly recommend to get it. Not every1 reads an manual to there toys they buy,,, unlike me I was the same way before... but since I came here and I read, read and read..... I learned allot and I thank www.hometheaterforum.com for it and the people here that replied to my posts.
I just hope my expensive investment will not go down as the experience as you did. I wish the best for you and I hope you win the battle about your TV. Go kick some ARSE!!!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, that wasn't my tv. I haven't bought one yet, but if it was, shit would be fixed for free. As for the calibration disk, I am going to either get Avia or the Sound and Vision disk and it's gonna be the first thing I run, then again after break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks