How about that trailer for the new Mario Kart?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Marty Lockstead, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello all,
    I recently saw the new promo for Mario Kart and it looks great! I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. This is one of the main reasons I bought a Cube in the first place.
    What do you guys think?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I haven't seen the trailer but Mario Kart is quite possibly the most entertaining multi player game that I've owned so I'll absolutely be getting the cube version.

3. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I can't wait! Mario Kart 64 defined my freshman year of college and this one looks to carry the tradition. Fortunately, I won't be playing split screen with 4 guys on a 13" TV this time. I was always a Toad fan and look forward to the new "buddy system". Woohoo!

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

6. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

7. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

8. GlenHaag

Yep. I was always looking to give Toad or Princess some "Special Lovin'"

I just couldn't stand either of those two. [​IMG]

Glen

9. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

My freshman year too for SNES Kart. I would wake up in the middle of the night, and see the guy across the hall, playing so intently with the sound off so as not to wake me. So considerate, other than sneaking in to our room at 3am to play Nintendo.

Sophomore year I would I would lie in bed countless times ready for bed and cringe as my roomies would fire it up. My junior and senior year my apt. mate and his friends would keep me up playing Kart 64. And there is NO game more annoying as far as sounds and music, if you aren't playing (or trying to sleep).

Is it my favorite multi-player game series ever? Hell yeah.

Chris

10. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

does someone have a link to this trailer?

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
  12. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

I'll second the notion of liking Bowzer the most. While I was first learning the game I'd play as Yoshi, but, got sick of bumping into one of the bigger guys all the time and made the switch. This fall/winter can't come soon enough![​IMG]

13. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

14. GlenHaag

I think I just hated the noises that Toad and Princess "said" when/if they went by.

Actually, now that I think about it... I used Wario more than just about anyone else. I always swapped with my friend between Wario and Bowzer.

The only shortcut that I used was the tunnel. I always liked the way that the game kind of balances it out, so that if you're in last you get help in the way that you'll see more lightning bolts or Orange Mushrooms. I'd heard about other shortcuts, but I prefered to stick to the track and just kind of take on my friends that way.

I really hope that someone gets it figured out so that we can do Lan games of this over the internet. I know for a fact that there will be some 2 player HTF matchups a-comin'.

Glen

15. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

Count me in as another that is greatly anticipating this title. I played SNES and practically broke a controller playing the N64 version. I hope they combine the racing skill needed in the SNES version with the battle modes in the 64 version. Also hoping its progressive scan and widescreen capable.

The only disappointing part to me is it doesnt appear to be online capable and I doubt I will be able to find people to play vs here in Tampa. I moved away from my friends that i use to play vs, and the multi-player mode of the game was the best in previous games.

I mastered most of the shortcuts in the n64 version and it was necessary as everyone I played against used them.

16. Shayne Judge

I found an informative site and thought I would pass it on.

http://www.mariokartdoubledash.co.uk/

Among the most exciting news/rumors:

1. Big rumor that mario kart might be playable online via gamespy. I am really excited about this possiblity. It makes sense. (or so I hope) Nintendo has a third party familiar with the online scene work out the gritty details allowing online gameplay, starting with a big title like mario kart. If it doesnt work out, no big deal for Nintendo, they still offer LAN. If it does work out, Nintendo buys the service from gamespy or works out some other agreement and everyone is happy. Link below with more details

http://www.freewebs.com/thecubeonline/

2. The game is being tuned to be faster and include power sliding (wasn't available at the E3 show apparently)

Also, the first link has a list of the game clips you can download.

17. Michael St. Clair

18. Shayne Judge

I base my hopes for online play (albeit far fetched) on this:

"Steven says: There's just one small difference between LAN games and online games that should be noted. Games designed strictly for LAN play are designed for zero lag. Online games need to be developed to account for the inconsistency of internet connections, among other things. You can't just take a LAN game, flip a switch, and make it a perfect online game. (This is why the PC version of Halo is taking so long to come out, as the multiplayer needed to be rebuilt from scratch for the online factor.)

Basically, a game needs to be designed for online play for it to work like one. Nintendo would have had to been thinking about this for some time for it to truly be online. I'm sure GameSpy has been an official Nintendo development kit holder for quite some time now... "

Granted, the game will probably just be available via LAN and tunneling to gamespy, but who knows until Nintendo and gamespy reveal more information.

19. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

If Nintendo is working with Gamespy, it wouldn't be to make a tunneling program, it would be to incorporate Gamespy technology into their games so that they'd be online capable without having to set up a large infastructure to support it.

Nintendo working with GS on tunneling through a PC:

A) Makes no sense whatsoever.
    B) Is not what the links posted say.

20. GlenHaag

Let's not forget that the Xbox needed tunneling software for most of their games to go online in the first year.

This is for a system that had an ethernet port built in.

I don't believe that Nintendo is working with Gamespy but that, like the Xbox in it's first year with titles that weren't configured for Live, Gamespy is looking to create tunneling software like Xbconnect in order to get Double Dash online capable.

Glen