What's new

How about connecting all speaker ports to the mains? (1 Viewer)

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
I have a Yamaha RX-V620. I want to hook up two large towers. It does not have a 2-channel option. So, my plan was to combine the left rear to the left main, the right rear to the right main, and divide the center into the to towers as well. So, good idea or not?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Best case scenario is the receiver will shut down instantly. Worst case scenario is it will become a very fancy and expensive paperweight. In either case, it will not do anything but risk your personal safety. I haven't looked up the particular receiver, but all digital surround receivers have a 2 channel option, simply by turning off all the other speakers in the set-up menu. Where that menu is and how you do it varies widely from receiver to receiver.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Don't do that! The receiver most certainly has a 2 channel option. Go to www.yamaha.com/yec , download the receiver manual. Follow instructions for how to get into the setup menu, tell it you only have large front left/front right.

Turn off any surround modes, you'll get stereo that way also.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It could make for a nice light show.

Seriously, don't even THINK about doing that, but I guess you already did think about it.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jonathan,

Couple points (besides DO NOT try that at home)....

Bigger speakers are not always better. More power is not always better. If you want better sound, list your equipment (model/specs) and we can probably help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks